An essay about ZOO TV... (it's not too long...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
ZOOTV, what can we say?

First off, when was the last time any band decided to name a tour, TV? It could have easily been The One Tour, or Zoo Station Tour... but Zoo TV, it was meant to be something else...

The display, this big stadium setup (after arenas) with big bold statements and songs that an arena couldn't hold within itself. U2 was letting the world know that they're taking it over again, and not the world forgetting about them.

The opening song of every tour (except dress rehearsal) was Zoo Station, a song Bono didn't want to open the show with. But as we hear those first strums and drum hits, that U2 was leaving behind it's traditional guitar strummed anthems and replacing them with a big sound.

Screens of words and images and commercials filled the screens, as U2 parodied the commercialization of the 90s. Playing 7 songs from their new album, the band did something that hadn't been done, nor would be done ever again. It was uncomforting at first because you were expecting "I Will Follow" , "Out Of Control" or "Gloria" but these songs never made an appearance except a few shows of "I Will Follow"

Running off the high of Zoo Station, U2 launched into The Fly, a dark, cruel and sexually supercharged song that sent the audience into a gasp and puzzlement. Next, Even Better Than The Real Thing got us back jumping, and Mysterious Ways had us dancing with our ladies. One, which I don't understand, was in the place as the 5 song of the set. Why was such an emotional song, and such a well crafted song -- and a single throughout the show put in this place? One has now become a closer. After One, Until The End Of The World woke us back up from the dream we had, and as the band ended and Edge slid his guitar distortion some more...

Adam Clayton pounded those familiar notes, it was like the "curse" of Zoo TV was broken, and New Year's Day, like sunlight, shined through. U2 hadn't forgot about the oldies, infact, they were waiting to play them. U2 played acoustic numbers, covers including Abba and Beatles, as well as performing with a faux Lou Reed. Bad, as well as Sunday Bloody Sunday made their appearances before the best arguable moment of Zoo TV came about...

After Bullet The Blue Sky, the arena became silent, filled with ambience and sincerity. Running To Stand Still slowed things down, and put the audience in a purple haze, as Bono told us the story of the girl, we sang with him -- and when it was time to go, that helicopter left and we were saying goodbye. As the helicopter was leaving, we could hear a familiar sound coming, and growing larger...

Where The Streets Have No Name was the moment that made Zoo TV magical, the lights flashing, the red screens and Bono's serenity filled vocals graced the entire stadium and brought the show to a halt, for 5 minutes there, the show was not about commercialization, or about anything -- but instead about going to that magical place and letting Edge's notes fly you there.

Pride, and sometimes "Still Haven't Found..." close the main set, every time they were played, the audience responded louder.

Next, many of Bono's alter egos ranging from a TV Evangelist to a retired sexed out overweight rock star named Macfisto. Perhaps Bono wanted to be an actor, because he did a good job at playing these characters, with their makeup and almost Hitchcock like dialogs. The band played a humble, subtle version of "With Or Without You" after a gut shredding, gorgeiously distorted "Desire" and as "With Or Without" you ended... so did the classics...

The haunting "Love IS Blindness" slowly played, and for a minute, you could hear ghosts moving througout the song. Edge was having an exorcism and Bono pleaded his sadistic pleasures...

After the nightmare, we were treated to a humble, soft version of the Elvis Presley song "Falling In Love" it was like Bono took everything he and did, and apologized with his heart during this song. Ending the show on the most important note, that love is what matters.

Interesting take, I guess. I think you missed a lot, and may have not understood some moments, but that being said, it's a concert everyone needs to see at least once...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Interesting take, I guess. I think you missed a lot, and may have not understood some moments, but that being said, it's a concert everyone needs to see at least once...

:yes:

How many have seen ZooTV live as opposed to tape? Has we ever had a thread about that?

It makes me wonder...

Because I remember watching ZooTV VHS the day I bought it with a casual fan. Now I had seen the show a year earlier, but she hadn't, and she hated it, she didn't get it... She kept asking me questions like "why would they say watch more TV?"

So I'm not sure if the concept is lost on some people regardless, or if it made more sense live, or what...

It would be an interesting study.:wink:

ozeeko said:
The show didn't really take off 'til the Zooropa songs came into focus.

Completely disagree.

It's almost as if they had two tours in one run, they were completely different, but the MirrorBall Man days were great too...

What's interesting is how many of the AB songs they played in a row..

It was almost as if they were challenging U2 fans of the 80's to Love it or hate it.

Well written and very dscriptive of the point of view from the fan who got to see it in person. Made me feel like I was there to an extent. But you didnt go into the idealogy behind the show. You tweezed a hair on the topic in the first few lines then went into the songs. It was way more than the songs. I only wish I couldve seen it myself. Heres to Imax and their 3-d tech in the future (fingers crossing as I type).

It was designed to be a mock television network made to confuse your sense of whats real and whats an advertisement so to speak. The concept behind this show is sheer genius. The dvd realease will bring it into the world like U2 did with sarajevo to Europe during those linkups.

Did you know that U2 was considering making ZooTV an actual network partnered with MTV.

Imagine a ZOOnline tour.

Ellay said:
What's interesting is how many of the AB songs they played in a row..

It was almost as if they were challenging U2 fans of the 80's to Love it or hate it.

I think they had a policy of playing nothing from any albums earlier than TUF until they went outside that is.

t8thgr8 said:
Did you know that U2 was considering making ZooTV an actual network partnered with MTV.

Remember the episodes of Zoo TV that got aired? Kind of out there. :huh: I have them on tape somewhere.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I remember watching ZooTV VHS the day I bought it with a casual fan. Now I had seen the show a year earlier, but she hadn't, and she hated it, she didn't get it... She kept asking me questions like "why would they say watch more TV?"

Maybe your causual fan friend is also casually intelligent. :sexywink:

Seriously, if she doesn't get very dry humor or sarcasm or ironic humor, then the whole show will fly (pun intended) right over her head. I've known lots of people who will complain about someone else because they never know when this other person is serious or joking - that's because of the subtle dry humor. If one isn't used to it, one doesn't get it.

Everyone with dry humor has their moments of outright humor, but often they tend to be more sarcastic. U2 was always this way. If you listen to some of the speeches Bono would make at times on the JT tour, you might think U2 really did feel they were the biggest best band in the world! But Bono was joking - mocking U2's sudden fame. I wonder though, is this how Bono's ego reputation started - by less intelligent people not getting that he was joking.

theu2fly said:

The opening song of every tour (except dress rehearsal) was Zoo Station, a song Bono didn't want to open the show with.

When the fuck did Bono ever say he sidnt want to open the show with ZOo Station?

Bonochick said:

Remember the episodes of Zoo TV that got aired? Kind of out there. :huh: I have them on tape somewhere.

I have them too somewhere on tape

do you mean the special they had?

It's on Youtube, type in "U2 1992" (without quotes) and the first 6 shows are the shows i think you're talking about...

I don't think they even had U2 on them...though I think the theme music was by them. It's been so long since I've watched them.

Ah, here's some info:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,3098,00.html

MTV Opens Cage for Wild Zoo-TV

By David Kushner

13:55 PM Apr. 11, 1997

This Sunday on MTV, a man will pinch his nose and casually remove it from his face, leaving a very real and very gaping triangular black hole. No, this isn't Michael Jackson in his latest video, it's Zoo-TV, a dark newsmagazine that takes on TV in a three-part miniseries beginning this weekend. Producer Roger Trilling describes the series' cumulative effect: "It's like mental antacid."

With segments on surveillance, the body/machine interface, and the nature of alternative culture, Zoo-TV pushes the edge of commercial - even comprehensible - television. The show evolved from concepts in the 1993 U2 tour of the same name, using the same video-guerrilla team Emergency Broadcast Network that gave the concerts postmodern flash to produce the show.

Surprisingly, though the band contributes the score (outtakes from their Zooropa album) and half the financing, Zoo-TV has little else to do with U2, the mega-band/commodity. Of the series, EBN's Josh Pearson says, "It could be confusing and challenging for the average MTV viewer ... which is a good thing."

Zoo-TV is a surreal '90s satire of everything from biotechnology to interactive media to television itself. Offbeat, documentary interviews with the Stussy creator and Lori Fena from the Electronic Frontier Foundation are fused with video samples by EBN. Fake ads promote a home surveillance kit for kids and an electronic nanny that lovingly "monitors" kids glued to the TV. The motley mix forms a hyperreal critique of pop culture.

The second and best installment, "The Body," plays like a lost video from the Mondo 2000 basement: A self-described body artist snakes a live camera down his throat into his stomach; a human guinea pig makes medical testing sound erotic; a lab-suited lackey from an Arizona cryonics center does a little jig before deep freezing a client. Like the episodes on Television and Consumerism, the sensibility is decidedly more McLuhan than Jenny McCarthy.

Though the sections such as the one on the Internet teeter into the familiar Oliver-Stone-paranoia territory, Zoo-TV is a brief reason (besides the late night techno show, Amp) to want your MTV.

doctorwho said:

Everyone with dry humor has their moments of outright humor, but often they tend to be more sarcastic. U2 was always this way. If you listen to some of the speeches Bono would make at times on the JT tour, you might think U2 really did feel they were the biggest best band in the world! But Bono was joking - mocking U2's sudden fame. I wonder though, is this how Bono's ego reputation started - by less intelligent people not getting that he was joking.

In a word, yes...and they still aren't getting the jokes, judging from what I've seen...:(

I wonder if U2 will ever play 6 songs again in a row... I thought they could with BOMB...

Zoo TV setlist for Bomb...

Main Set: City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, All Because Of You, Crumbs From Your Table, Love And Peace Or Else, Original Of The Species, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Gloria, Beautiful Day, The First Time, Fast Cars, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet The Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Where The Streets Have No Name, Pride

Encore(s): Elevation, Miracle Drug, With Or Without You, Yahweh, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, One, 40

Back
Top Bottom