Amazon reviews of HTDAAB....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
I was bored and wanted to see what people thought about the album now that months have gone by. Well, I find some of there points of view very interesting. I think that they may have a point. But, Im having some trouble now.... understanding what it is exactly what the band intended to do in the first place in making us the fans, understand this album. Also, what the future lies ahead. I mean, rumors are that there will be more legs of this tour. If so, should they be promoting this album still by then? I think that people might get a bit tired of it by then. They need some new stuff to come up with, IMO. I mean, we were lead to believe that this was going to be a loud rock album. I must say that I was a bit dissapointed but it grew on me nonetheless. Here is what people had to say:

Some Big Holes In The U2 Tapestry, May 30, 2005
Reviewer: Jagged Little Teenager (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I bought U2's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" in February this year or a whim after really liking the few singles I had already heard from it. U2 have always been somewhat of an enigma for me - sometimes I like them, sometimes I hate them. They are definitely an overrated band, because to me a lot of their material sounds the same and even their 'classics' don't really blow me away. I'm sure Bono is a great humanitarian and everything, but he's so full of himself and thinks that, like, U2 are the greatest band to ever rock the world! Hardcore U2 fans will see that statement as incredibly ironic, but it's not. Really not.

After listening to this album in full, I am only semi-impressed. There's nothing that really blows me away, but there are some rather good songs. Ironically, these will turn out to all be the singles. This album proves U2 are still significant in today's music scene, because it sold more than 800,000 copies in the US in its first week of release, which is incredible for a band that have been going for 20 years. Sometimes I feel that this album was just hyped beyond belief, which is why so many people bought it. Some people would like to think the music on this album is deep, but for me it just isn't. For deep I look to Radiohead, Tori Amos and Bjork, not U2.

"Vertigo" is the album's lead single and the band made the right choice in making it so. The video to this song is incredible, but the song itself is more superb. The guitars are strong and chunky as always in trademark U2-form. "Miracle Drug" is trademark U2 with epic guitars are beautiful soundscapes created by the undulating drums. "Sometimes You Can't Make It In Your Own" was a UK No.1 and is very similar to the previous song. This is Bono's tribute to his father who died in 2001. It's a great song and isn't much different from songs such as "One," a true U2 classic. "Love And Peace Or Else" is Bono's anti-war statement about Iraq, and it's a great piece that reflects his state of mind on the subject. The sound is dark and gritty, like looking through green night vision into the deserts of the Middle East. "City Of Blinding Lights" is the third single from this album and is probably my favourite song from it. It gradually builds up with a catchy beat and rolling drums that climax in the chorus after the second minute. "All Because Of You" opens with a shattering, ear drum-piercing guitar that echoes for miles around. It's a heavy rock song in traditional U2 style with banging drums and funky lyrics.

In my opinion, this is where the album starts to go down hill. "A Man And A Woman" is only an average song because it's so soft and bland. U2 are a stadium band and this song sounds like something Maroon 5 would do. "Crumbs From Your Table" is a good song with some great guitar work from The Edge, but apart from that this song is quite forgetful. "One Step Closer" is quite a beautiful love song that is soft and tranquil against your ears, but it never really takes off, which unfortunately makes it quite boring. "Original Of The Species" is the only really good song in the final half of the album, because it has a sweet, caressing beat that is almost lullaby in style. "Yahweh" is Bono's tribute to his God, which I can appreciate, but musically, it's another duff in my opinion. The album closes with "Fast Cars" which is a good song because it's an interesting change of pace from the rest of the album. It almost has a Spanish flair to it, which I think works well.

OVERALL GRADE: 6/10

One thing I know now is that I won't be buying any of U2's other albums any time soon. I mean I know they're a good band otherwise they wouldn't have lasted for over 20 years. I'm not stupid! I just don't feel like their music is something I connect to very well, so I'll stick with bands that I do connect with. Don't get me wrong, this album isn't bad, because it has some good tracks but it's not exactly the best piece of work I've ever heard.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

22 of 32 people found the following review helpful:

Decent is disappointing for u2, June 16, 2005
Reviewer: Bartholomew Motes (Florida) - See all my reviews

I hope you'll be indulgent with me on this review, written by a very long time u2 fan. I started out trying to write a very balanced review but I ended up getting more and more bummed out by the tack that u2 has taken. So, if you're not into an arcane analysis of u2 the band, you might want to skip my review. If you're new to u2, may I just suggest that you might want to own all of the following before this album:

1. Achtung Baby, 2. War, 3. Joshua Tree, 4. Zooropa, 5. Pop, 6. Boy, 7. October, 8. The Unforgettable Fire, 9. Rattle and Hum 10. Live under a Blood Red Sky

The u2 and music fans in me say this album is horrible. The pragmatist in me points out that it is not that bad, really. I don't see how you can rave about the album with a straight face but it's hardly the end of the world. (Or the rest of the epic Achtung Baby, either.) I will be the last person in the world to criticize people for feeling passionate about music, but it's just an album. No one takes u2 to be cutting edge anymore, so there's no harm in people enjoying this album. If it makes you happy, great. For me, I think this is one of u2's worst albums, although better than ATYCLB by a measure. It is serviceable pop, and that to me makes it worse: a band like u2 should fail spectacularly in the pursuit of greatness, not turn out timid but unimpeachable pop.

Why is it not very good? The songs mostly lack animation. They don't go anywhere. Contrast any given song, Vertigo and Love Peace or Else aside, with Sunday Bloody Sunday with its three distinct shifts in tempo and mood and you'll see what I mean. There is nothing new here. No interesting sounds, no experimentation, no recreation, not even creation. It is the first u2 album that consciously emulates its predecessor.

To argue this point I have to get into serious u2 fan dementia:

The juvenile pop of Boy was followed by the wildly experimental October which was in turn followed by the more mature rock of War, which was followed by another experimental and atmospheric album in the Unforgettable Fire. Fire was followed by The Joshua Tree, a truly beautiful and evocative effort, which was followed (kind of) by Rattle and Hum and then properly by Achtung Baby, which completely melted down and reforged u2's sound, creating one of the best albums of all time. Personally, I'd have been happy with a dozen Achtung Babys, but u2 immediately danced off into another direction with Zooropa, which was far more electronic and weird than any of their previous albums. Finding commercial success with that despite themselves, they returned with Pop. Here is where the story turns sad. Despite an enthusiastic reception in Europe, Americans just didn't get the brilliant but erratic Pop. U2 clearly felt chastened by this rejection and followed Pop with the pedestrian ATYCLB. From the perspective of a u2 fan, this is when disaster struck: massive critical and popular acceptance of the tired ATYCLB retread. However, we comforted ourselves with the knowledge of the pattern of u2 records: conventional and massively popular album followed by edgy and interesting album. Alas, the pattern was broken with HTDAAB.

The subtext to this is also the rise and fall of u2's rhythm section. Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop was Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, jr. unleashed. ATYCLB and HTDAAB is them neutered.

With a bit of luck, u2 will get bored of this brand of pop music, Bono will quit galivanting around the globe in pursuit of admirable causes, and Larry and Adam will tell the twangy two to get with the program. Otherwise, the next u2 album might be the first I don't rush to buy.

Sorry for the rant.

I have to say I somewhat agree.

I've been a fan since the 80s and I think to U2's credit they have maintained an incredible longevity by reinventing themselves each decade. In the 80s, they started out kinda punky and became more political with an intent to open some eyes. In the 90s, they reinvented themselves by experimenting sonically (mostly succeeding), and currently they are writing more poppier, catchy, disposable tunes. With each change, they've managed to please and gain some fans and disappoint others. Gone are the composition of anthems like Bad, SBS, WTSHNN, and now we have 3 minutes songs like Vertigo and ABOY with little substinance. That said, I think their live shows are still second to none.

I like the last two albums, but I do think they are very simple and safe, consisting of disposable Top 40 tunes.
I'd like to see them grow some balls again, and really throw everyone for a loop on their next effort.

Not everyone will agree with me, but that is my opinion. I'll still support this band and buy their albums because I am always interested in seeing what they do next.

Last edited:
Your right, you are totally right. We've all heard that they work in 3's at one point or another. The first three albums were on the same theme/pace. So were the next three and so on. I think that we are all hoping for something more radical. Will we get it? Who knows. We have to wait and see. I like the album but it dosen't compare to JT, AB, UF. They know and we know that they have it in them to smash our faces with at least one more great album.

The OOTS said:

I like the last two albums, but I do think they are very simple and safe, consisting of disposable Top 40 tunes.
I'd like to see them grow some balls again, and really throw everyone for a loop on their next effort.

I think HTDAAB is probably the bravest album they've ever released. It's totally naked in it's expression of emotions. It's not hiding behind drama (JT), irony (Zoo TV) or personas (AB). There aren't many men, let alone musicians that can pull that off convincingly. People constantly slag HTDAAB because it's not an overt musical accomplishment like some of their earlier work. HTDAAB is more than that, though. It's a life accomplishment set to music.

Safe? I don't see how it's ever safe to open yourself up as much as this album does.

Disposable? Nah, this album's thematic content is as sound as they come.

Top 40? Who the hell knows what that means. I will say though, that this brand of open-heartedness is highly unfashionable. Maybe that's part of why it hasn't proven to be a top 40 type of album in the U.S., at least.

"For deep I look to Radiohead, Tori Amos and Bjork, not U2".

Oh my, Bjork?! That just makes the first review null and void, I'm afraid.

Still, Bomb... much better than ATYCLB, maybe even Pop, but still not nearly as great as Zooropa.

You want deep, check out what I've compiled from their catalog. Songs that I think rock:

1. Street Missions(early demo)
2. I Will Follow
3. The Electric Co.
4. Rejoice
5. Is that all?
6. Seconds
7. Two Hearts beat as one
8. Surrender
9. Wire
10. Indian Summer Sky
11. In God's Country
12. Trip through your wire
13. Silver and Gold
14. God part II
15. Until the end of the world
16. Ultra Violet(Light my way)
17. Lemon
18. Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car
19. Mofo
20. Last night on Earth
21. Elevation
22. New York
23. Love and Peace or Else
24. Crumbs from Your Table
25. Fast Cars
26. Vertigo

This is a list that I've compiled on my iTunes. I think that it flows pretty well, don't you?

Last edited:
Layton said:

I think HTDAAB is probably the bravest album they've ever released. It's totally naked in it's expression of emotions. It's not hiding behind drama (JT), irony (Zoo TV) or personas (AB). There aren't many men, let alone musicians that can pull that off convincingly. People constantly slag HTDAAB because it's not an overt musical accomplishment like some of their earlier work. HTDAAB is more than that, though. It's a life accomplishment set to music.

Safe? I don't see how it's ever safe to open yourself up as much as this album does.

Disposable? Nah, this album's thematic content is as sound as they come.

Top 40? Who the hell knows what that means. I will say though, that this brand of open-heartedness is highly unfashionable. Maybe that's part of why it hasn't proven to be a top 40 type of album in the U.S., at least.

Pop and Zooropa were by far the bravest. Whether you like them or not, you can't deny that. Those albums were unlike anything they had attempted previously and took U2 into a completely different direction. I also might add UF to that list as well. I am not saying the are the best...they were the bravest.

In 10-15 years, when U2 still has a few more albums under their belts and/or have retired, people are going to still talk about the greatness of AB, UF, JT and not HTDAAB unfortunately.

The OOTS said:

Pop and Zooropa were by far the bravest. Whether you like them or not, you can't deny that. Those albums were unlike anything they had attempted previously and took U2 into a completely different direction. I also might add UF to that list as well. I am not saying the are the best...they were the bravest.

You're thinking about things on too much of a careerist level. Sure it was ballsy to mess around on a stylistic level and I love those albums because they make sense character wise. HTDAAB is braver because it sets their awakening to music, not just tweaks its audience with aesthitic changes. Think about what it truly takes to tear down your walls (not just want to) and to declare 'I am' Think about how open you'd have to be to give those 2 little words any meaning. Then think about if that kind of openness was achieved how those 2 little words would serve as a direct conduit to that place. Now think about how many (or if yesteryear U2) have had the guts to even attempt such a lofty artistic goal without resorting to poetic representations of their 'places' or masking themselves behind 'art'. Nothing wrong with those things I just pointed out, but they aren't as brave a way to go.

Layton, you are seeing a much deeper layer to HTDAAB than is really there.

They were just trying to make a BIG album, and semi-succeeded.

Zooropa and Pop were much braver (as was Achtung Baby and Unforgettable Fire).

bsp77 said:

i dont think its fair to tell him what he is/isnt seeing, am sure he can see for himself, like me, i think personally that this is a VERY deep and personal album, in which bono is so open about his feelings on alot of issues, with them being masked, like they are on other U2 albums

personally i did used to care about the reviews on amazon, but not anymore i got sick of them,mostly because people arent reviewing the album, but deciding to take a shot at the band,

look at the reviews on amazon.co.uk, they are much much better :)

KUEFC09U2 said:
i dont think its fair to tell him what he is/isnt seeing, am sure he can see for himself, like me, i think personally that this is a VERY deep and personal album, in which bono is so open about his feelings on alot of issues, with them being masked, like they are on other U2 albums

Bono is deep and personal on Sometimes, One Step Closer and A Man and a Woman. Where else?

Even if I were to agree that the album is brave on a lyrical level, it is their most safe album musically.

bsp77 said:

Lol-----maybe, but I'm not going down without a fight. As they say, "just give me what I want and nobody gets hurt".

Layton said:

Lol-----maybe, but I'm not going down without a fight. As they say, "just give me what I want and nobody gets hurt".

How shall we fight? I think it should involve some kind of drinking contest. :wink:

Beer :drool:

bsp77 said:

Bono is deep and personal on Sometimes, One Step Closer and A Man and a Woman. Where else?

Even if I were to agree that the album is brave on a lyrical level, it is their most safe album musically.

Vertigo - A song about post 9/11 fear
Miracle Drug - About a handicapped friend
All Because of you & Yahweh - Odes to God
Crumbs From Your Table - A plea for Africa
Original Of The Species - An ode to Edge's daughter (Bono's God-daughter)
City of Blinding Lights - An entire song sparked from a single powerful emotion when U2 were the first band to play at MSG in NYC after 9/11

bsp77 said:

Pop wasn't brave. It was their attempt to jump on the bandwagon of new "electronic" based music that was supposed to take the USA by storm.

They were trying to jump on a trend.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB are U2 being U2, thank God for it.

MrBrau1 said:

Pop wasn't brave. It was their attempt to jump on the bandwagon of new "electronic" based music that was supposed to take the USA by storm.

They were trying to jump on a trend.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB are U2 being U2, thank God for it.

:up:

All of a sudden in 1997-1998 everyone is playing with beats and shit: Madonna, REM, even Springsteen.

It's brave? No it's trend jumping.

It's like The Stones or The Grateful Dead playing Disco in the 70's.

Call it what it is:

Trend jumping.

MrBrau1 said:

It's like The Stones or The Grateful Dead playing Disco in the 70's.

Yep, I've thought for years that Pop is U2's Some Girls. I have to say, though that both albums trend jump very well. The Stones really did make disco their own on songs like "Miss You" and "Shattered". I think U2 also did very well at putting their own unique creative spin on a younger generation's sound with the Pop album.

Last edited:
Layton said:

Yep, I've thought for years that Pop is U2's Some Girls. I have to say, though that both albums trend jump very well. The Stones really did make disco their own on songs like "Miss You" and "Shattered". I think U2 also did very well and putting their own unique creative spin on a younger generation's sound with the Pop album.

No doubt.

And Gone is my favorite U2 song ever.

But people need to stop thinkg Pop was some anti-pop record meant to fuck with people. U2 thought it was going to be HUGE becasue of the supposed "musical times."

Last edited:
The OOTS said:
I

Meanwhile, charts are ruled by rap, hip hop and r&b. U2 still sounds like no one else (save for obvious influences like Coldplay).

:applaud: MrBrau1

MrBrau1 said:

No doubt.

And Gone is my favorite U2 song ever.

But people need to stop thinkg Pop was some anti-pop record meant to fuck with people. U2 thought it was going to be HUGE becasue of the supposed "musical times."

Too true. :up:

Snowlock said:

Vertigo - A song about post 9/11 fear
Miracle Drug - About a handicapped friend
All Because of you & Yahweh - Odes to God
Crumbs From Your Table - A plea for Africa
Original Of The Species - An ode to Edge's daughter (Bono's God-daughter)
City of Blinding Lights - An entire song sparked from a single powerful emotion when U2 were the first band to play at MSG in NYC after 9/11

Agree with all of that. I just don't think any of those lyrics are any more brave or personal than what they have done in the past.

As I said before, even if I were to agree that the album is brave personally, musically speaking it is their most safe. That doesn't mean I don't like, but I like U2 the most when the surprise me. Even ATYCLB was a surprise, it was different from anything they had done before. HTDAAB is too much like ATYCLB Part II, but more guitar driven and more heavily influenced by their earlier work. I actually believe HTDAAB is an improvement over ATYCLB, but I understand why so many people have a problem with the album. Isn't that what this thread was originally about?

bsp77 said:

As I said before, even if I were to agree that the album is brave personally, musically speaking it is their most safe.

Do you think safe is part of the album's theme? If so, would that help you deal with the problems you have regarding the 'sound' of the album?

Don't mean to sound rude with those questions, but I'm curious if you see HTDAAB as a creative failure of just something you don't have a preference for.

Personally, I think the sound of HTDAAB just IS. U2 are trying to just BE, on this album. In other words, stand as you ARE. There's a strong philosophical idea at the root of the 3 words, I capitalized. In their purest form, their representations are irrespective of past or future. They do and exist fully in the NOW. Which completely fits the theme of the album, I think.

Back
Top Bottom