Amazon.com reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahweh

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It is actually pretty amazing that the album is at a 3.5 star rating after all the 1 star reviews that the new album has gotton there and there is a few comments I would like to make about them since they all have the same general idea about rating the album as low as they can.

1. To the idea of U2 sounding mainstream:
- When were bands that most people idolize such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Nirvana not mainstream? The answer is they wearnt so why should U2 be judged under a different set of standards?

2. To the idea of U2 sounding like U2:
- When did it become a crime to sound like yourself especially when that sound that made you famous is very unique in the music industry?

3. To the idea of U2 selling out:
- Every band that has ever released a CD or done any type of advertising of their music could theoretically be seen as selling out so why is it that U2 again is slammed for wanting as many people as possible to be exposed to their music? I guess it is also a crime to have drive and ambition too.

Basically I am just tired of people judging U2 by a different set of standards just because they feel like it. Did the Beatles join a band because they just wanted a personal and private experience, no...so why should U2 suffer a very unfair stigma around them?

I think its time for many people in this world to get in touch with reality, and take a good long hard look objectively at bands in the past that were popular and liked and you will see that being popular and being liked equates to being in the mainstream whether you like it or not it is just a fact of life.

Preach on. Every great band gets the shaft when it comes to making music and being POPular.

In the end, who cares. I rather have true believers than idiots who jump on the bandwagon.

but you must admit it is a tiny bit hypocritical to advertise for the iPod - a symbol of the 'winners' of the capitalist system (which they are too) while tirelessly campaigining for the 'losers' of the system.

I dunno if it was the right thing to do or not in terms of morals, but i reckon that advert gave Vertigo the Number 1 in UK at least. You have to listen to that song 4 or 5 times to like it and the song was forcefed to us for weeks on the radio and tv:)

It was on 3 times on one break once on ITV in UK. Twice for the ipod and once for HMV :)

Well said. I remember going off on one about my favourite bands "selling out" when I was much younger... particularly about Greatest Hits packages. Then it occured to me that most of the time, it's the record companies that put these compilations together, often without any input from the bands.

U2 wasnt payed for the IPOD commercial and Apple was the one that was running the commercial to no end not U2. It just happens that the IPOD sales skyrocketed when U2 got involved...I wonder why probably because they are an amazing band...best band of our time by a country mile.

If you are talking about the "losers" that U2 are defending they arent in a capitalist system in Africa, that is one of the things Bono would like to see changed is the governments and by introducing some fair trade introducing some capitalism concepts.

yes well said
Thats the price you have to pay for been the greatest band for more than 20 years....... everyone is after you, and the fact that all U2 records have been so popular and massive is the reason
U2's music and style its stuck in people heads, so everytime they put a record out you will hear:

1. Bono's same voice color
2. Edge's trademark guitar sound
3. Adam and Larry solid rithym and beats

They are U2 they have the F...ing right to sound like them
If thay can use some effects and treatments as they have in the past and if it works o.k well.........thats fine
If they choose to use the 4 instruments only and if the song kicks ass its great also!

A great record needs and deserves the heaviest promotion possible, especially in our times of so much diversity in styles in music and of course all the ilegal music we all know

If you make a record, you think its great and if you choose "Not to put to much publicity because people will think that we may sell out"............well you are the STUPIDIEST ARTIST IN THE WORLD

In 2005 you cannot afford to do that. Touring is also a part of promoting your latest material
Why do u think U2 tours? To see our pretty faces?
Bullshit. They Tour to sell the record, to promote it, and to make money by selling tickets, thats the reason

Why do people dont talk about "The real meaning of touring"

An artist wins more money touring than by selling the record alone

U2 are a smart and a clever band. They are making the right desicions along with some of the greatest music of their lives
Pretty amazing stuff isn't it?

Balfron said:
but you must admit it is a tiny bit hypocritical to advertise for the iPod - a symbol of the 'winners' of the capitalist system (which they are too) while tirelessly campaigining for the 'losers' of the system.

I dunno if it was the right thing to do or not in terms of morals, but i reckon that advert gave Vertigo the Number 1 in UK at least. You have to listen to that song 4 or 5 times to like it and the song was forcefed to us for weeks on the radio and tv:)

It was on 3 times on one break once on ITV in UK. Twice for the ipod and once for HMV :)
Hypocritical perhaps, but considering I can hear "Rock and Roll" endorsing Cadillac, "Come Together" during Phillips commercials, and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" during Chevrolet ads, I think U2's place within the annals of rock history is fairly secure :)

it is a tiny bit hypocritical to advertise for the iPod - a symbol of the 'winners' of the capitalist system (which they are too) while tirelessly campaigining for the 'losers' of the system.

I don't see this as hypocritical...having wealth/capitalism or being a "winner" is not a bad thing. People without wealth can do very little to help those in need. But I think that the point is that we are very fortunate and we have a great responsibility to help those who are less fortunate.

Last edited:
Most of those "reviews" are simply people riding the wave of supposed coolness that accompanies the bashing of U2 these days.

Hoodlem said:
Most of those "reviews" are simply people riding the wave of supposed coolness that accompanies the bashing of U2 these days.

Yeah I been busy on amazon.com these past few months. hehehe:wink:

If Amazon had been around when The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, or any other classic U2 album came out it would've gotten just as many 1 star reviews. People really hate U2. And people really love U2. It's to the bands credit they create such strong reactions.

Feh,

So U2 sells a bundle more records because of a "free' ad. Bono himself has freely admitted (in an interview) that u2 are a Corporation. To them, it's not about "sellng out" at all, it's all about doing what is right, be that fiscal or moral. To say that it's immoral for them to earn a living (albiet a far grander living than most) is hypocritical in itself. Hell, we all look to better ourselves in any number of ways. U2 has simply done what any band would do for a living and then some, In fact, u2 goes one better than most of us by actually doing something about the problems they see in the world.

I personally applaud Bono for his efforts to bring the leaders of the world to acknowledge that the current global monetary situation is broken (and morally broke).

Sleep Over Jack said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it was you.

Come on, you gotta be really sad to be sat there typing in an album review over and over just cos you really hate the album or you really hate U2. I maybe a bit of a twa# but I'm not THAT sad, and also I reckon the albums good if not great and I would give it 4 stars.

Back
Top Bottom