Am I crazy or did the Grammies start a bit early?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Because I had to work last night, and set my VCR for a few minutes before the hour and man was I pissed when my tape starts in the middle of "Walk On." I really could not believe it, and then I remembered last year something similar happened--I was talking on the phone to a friend at about 5 minutes before the hour and suddenly we were both like, wait a minute, it's on already?! And we compared clocks and decided the network had started the show early.

It's hard for me to say. I was at this Twin City U2 fan Grammy party and I was upstairs getting stocked up on food and such thinking I had a few more minutes till the top of the hour and the show starting and then I hear a howl from downstairs where the entertainment center was..."THEY'RE ON!" So I ran down as fast as possible and caught the bulk of the performance. But yeah, it seems like it may have started early.

It was right on time for me.

Perhaps your clocks are fast.

Or mine is slow.

Or we are all screwed up.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
It was right on time for me.

Perhaps your clocks are fast.

Or mine is slow.

Or we are all screwed up.

Of course it's possible, but I tape stuff all the time and this hasn't been a problem before, not to mention that my clocks seem right on schedule with everything else on TV. I deliberately set it for a few minutes before the hour to cover for any slight time differences, but this was way off it seems. It's a lesson in detachment, I suppose--thinking about sula's thread over in Free Your Mind. If missing half of U2's Grammies performance is the source of my biggest pain this week, life is pretty good for me.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]

Okay...something's up with my VCR then. I taped that post-show this afternoon, we'll see how that turns out.

Or maybe I'm really starting to live this "time is an illusion" thing.

I know what you mean joyfulgirl. Usuually, all awards shows 1) Have an announcer state that "It's the 44th Annual Grammy Awards", then 2) Introduce the performers, i.e. "and now here's 10 time Grammy winning artists, U2!".

Instead of having the announcer introduce the show, they cut STRAIGHT to Bono singing the opening "awwww"'s to Walk On. There was a bit of a screw-up on timing, but the show started literally at 7pm Central time. I caught me offer guard, how they jumped right into the U2 performance, but I survived
smile.gif

Originally posted by Danospano:
I know what you mean joyfulgirl. Usuually, all awards shows 1) Have an announcer state that "It's the 44th Annual Grammy Awards", then 2) Introduce the performers, i.e. "and now here's 10 time Grammy winning artists, U2!".

Instead of having the announcer introduce the show, they cut STRAIGHT to Bono singing the opening "awwww"'s to Walk On. There was a bit of a screw-up on timing, but the show started literally at 7pm Central time. I caught me offer guard, how they jumped right into the U2 performance, but I survived
smile.gif

Yeah.. I didn't have a whole tape to use for my 2nd copy of the Grammys so I was sitting there ready to start it the second a Grammy announcement was on, and instead I was several seconds, at least, late. Argh. I wonder why they started early?

Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me that maybe why they started early was because they had what, 17 performances on this year's Grammys?! Maybe they knew it would stretch out longer than usual.. who knows.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 02-28-2002).]

A colleague who was at the same work event as I was last night also taped the Grammies, so we'll see what she comes up with. Hopefully she got it all and I'll get to see it. Maybe she'll even give it to me.
smile.gif

What confounds me is that it wasn't several seconds late...it was several minutes for me! And I'm in Central zone, too, Dano. I now blame my VCR entirely for this travesty and am feeling an unreasonable amount of anger towards an inanimate object..lol...

Thanks for responding, everybody.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]

For me, it was like Danosprano said. The show just sorta started and I actually missed the first few seconds becuase of it.

Stupid stupid grammy's.

i actually missed the first couple of minutes myself, i wlaked in at what my clock said 8:00 and they were in the middle of walk on.

Back
Top Bottom