Alternate lyrics to Peace On Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

I wonder if anyone else had noticed that Bono changed the lyrics to Peace On Earth? He changed the mood of the song completely by inserting one word. Instead of singing "I'm sick of hearing again and again that there's gonna be peace on earth" he sang "I'm sick of hearing again and again that there's never gonna be peace on earth."

By inserting that one word "never" he made Peace On Earth more hopeful and less bitter. I mean, the original lyric is quite bitter/fatalistic. You hear everybody speaking of peace on earth, but in the meantime they keep attacking eachother. Peace on earth? Yeah... right!
In the new version there is hope. Everybody's talking about war, terror(ism) and worldwide conflicts. But I don't want to hear too much of that, I believe in peace (or so the narrator thinks). And by following this by Walk On, a song of hope and positivity, Peace On Earth itself becomes hopeful.

Be strong

Marty

P.S. I thought the performance itself was quite good, although I do have some remarks. I'd (of course) rather seen the full song, so with Edge's sole and the "Home"-bridge. and I prefer the concert-Hallelujah's over the one's sung yesterday. But these are minor points.

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Hey I noticed that too
smile.gif
And I just smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiled like a moron. I loved their performance!

------------------
~*Mona*~
Bono Representative of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"There are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviors of rock 'n' roll...but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from." ~Bob Dylan~

"What you don't have, you don't need it now. What you don't know, you can feel it somehow."~U2~

Don't you ever wish that you could take your post and add it to another one. I just posted the same thought Popmartijn, and really liked what you had to say. I agree, adding the word 'never' made the song less cynical. Again, apologies for a double post, I guess we were just on the same wavelength...it's a U2 thing I guess.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom