Allergic to GUINNESS??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ummm yeah......

Isn't Black Velvet supposed to be one of his favorite drinks? Guiness and champagne, something like that?

I thought his allergy was to red wine :scratch:

I don't know about bono, but when I drank about 10 of them in an hour, I became very sick.

I like the charcoaly taste of Guinness.At a St.Pat's party 2 years ago my grandma couldn't drink it.I drank it for her..i got one helluva buzz....:D

Swan269 said:
pour slowly and stir=no foam

Someone made it and handed it to me and it was like 2 inches of foam on top. I tried to drink it but I seriously can't get past the foam..... :(

Bono allergic to Guinness!!! NOT!!!!.:huh: :huh:

Ask Gary in Dockers, when we were in Dublin last November they had been talking PINTS of Guinness down to the studios every night that week!!!!

I think they have their wires crossed its cheap red wine.

Bono , not alleregic to Guinness but he for sure is red wine.. at least he reacts badly to it..

If he buys the property he is said to thinking of using it for a concert venue or artist space. not for brewing the best drink ever made yehaawww black-velvet!

How do you know it is "cheap" red wine that he is allergic too?

How does ones body differentiate "cheap" and "non-cheap" ?

:eyebrow:

zoney! said:
How does ones body differentiate "cheap" and "non-cheap" ?

:eyebrow:

well speaking as a winemaker, the 'cheap' stuff often has a very high level of sulfites; sulfites are preservative substances used to keep the wine from spoiling and going to vinegar.

Finer wines don't have as much, because more care is taken by the winery to keep everything as clean and free of contamination as possible - hence more expensive.

Sulfites are known to cause throat irritation as well as more insidious long-term effects like cancer. Also, something about red wine is known to cause problems for singers in general; I recall reading an interview with, I *think*, Audra McDonald (opera singer) who mentioned performing in Italy and how she was given a VERY expensive bottle of red wine as a gift and she could not drink it while slated to be performing.... something about the tannins perhaps, or the astringent qualities in general.

PS - There are starting to be more 'organic' wines out there nowadays with no sulfites whatsoever.

Last edited:
What was that quote from Bono in the book where celebrities had all sorts of recipes and put his Black Velvet mix?

"the drink may not impress you at first, but the hangover will." (or something like that)

OK people, its not 'foam' its a head and the most important part of the drink.

Please if you ever try guinness again dont kill the head or the drink id ruined. Take a big first gulp and then some of the head will be gone and you wont drink the head any longer. You should be able to see every time you took a drink out of the glass by the lines the head left.

Its the greatest drink ever invented!!!

Tabby said:
But beer is like soda, if you drink all the foam up first the rest will taste flat:no:

NONONO... that's BEER, true... *blech* beer foam, ew.

but Guinness is a STOUT! The lovely thick 'foam' formed by the proper pouring of Stout (properly called 'head' which can lead to all kinds of off-color jokes..) is the best part of the pint!

A Guinness poured too fast will have a thin, weak, faintly bitter head - I could see someone being turned off by getting one of those. The best bartenders know that pouring a perfect Guinness takes AT LEAST TWO FULL MINUTES, to encourage the proper formation of the head and development of flavor!

Er... is 11:30am too early for a Guinness? I've got a sudden craving for some odd reason...:lol:

wolfeden said:

well speaking as a winemaker, the 'cheap' stuff often has a very high level of sulfites; sulfites are preservative substances used to keep the wine from spoiling and going to vinegar.

Finer wines don't have as much, because more care is taken by the winery to keep everything as clean and free of contamination as possible - hence more expensive.

Sulfites are known to cause throat irritation as well as more insidious long-term effects like cancer. Also, something about red wine is known to cause problems for singers in general; I recall reading an interview with, I *think*, Audra McDonald (opera singer) who mentioned performing in Italy and how she was given a VERY expensive bottle of red wine as a gift and she could not drink it while slated to be performing.... something about the tannins perhaps, or the astringent qualities in general.

PS - There are starting to be more 'organic' wines out there nowadays with no sulfites whatsoever.

Well said!!
It was Bono that said about cheap red wine in an interview HOWEVER Bono's idea of cheap and our idea of cheap maybe something entirely different!!:wink:

The Guinness in Dockers and at the Storehouse great stuff!!
Funny enough I cant stand it anywhere but in Dublin!

Almost forgot The Clarence does a good one as well!:wink:
As well as the cocktails!!!!:wink:

Almost forgot The Clarence does a good one as well

Can you imagine Bono having apart of a hotel if it did not pull the perfect Guinness in the bar............ha!!!

a final word of wisdom....
NEVER
EVER
EVAR
get Guinness in a BOTTLE!
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

the Pub Draught cans have special cartridges inside; cooled but not *cold* and poured carefully, you can almost have an approximation of a well-pulled Guinness in a pub....

One lass I know, who pours at one of Boston's best Irish-style pubs, likes to finish off her special pints by making a four-leaf-clover design in the head.... cheeky, but entitled to be!

Back
Top Bottom