Allergic to GUINNESS?? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:36 PM
But beer is like soda, if you drink all the foam up first the rest will taste flat

Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #22
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabby
But beer is like soda, if you drink all the foam up first the rest will taste flat
NONONO... that's BEER, true... *blech* beer foam, ew.

but Guinness is a STOUT! The lovely thick 'foam' formed by the proper pouring of Stout (properly called 'head' which can lead to all kinds of off-color jokes..) is the best part of the pint!

A Guinness poured too fast will have a thin, weak, faintly bitter head - I could see someone being turned off by getting one of those. The best bartenders know that pouring a perfect Guinness takes AT LEAST TWO FULL MINUTES, to encourage the proper formation of the head and development of flavor!

Er... is 11:30am too early for a Guinness? I've got a sudden craving for some odd reason...

Old 03-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #23
Refugee

Oh, good explaination and pouring instructions, wolfeden. I didn't know the difference. I never had expensive beer maybe I'll get to try it sometime.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden

well speaking as a winemaker, the 'cheap' stuff often has a very high level of sulfites; sulfites are preservative substances used to keep the wine from spoiling and going to vinegar.

Finer wines don't have as much, because more care is taken by the winery to keep everything as clean and free of contamination as possible - hence more expensive.

Sulfites are known to cause throat irritation as well as more insidious long-term effects like cancer. Also, something about red wine is known to cause problems for singers in general; I recall reading an interview with, I *think*, Audra McDonald (opera singer) who mentioned performing in Italy and how she was given a VERY expensive bottle of red wine as a gift and she could not drink it while slated to be performing.... something about the tannins perhaps, or the astringent qualities in general.

PS - There are starting to be more 'organic' wines out there nowadays with no sulfites whatsoever.
Well said!!
It was Bono that said about cheap red wine in an interview HOWEVER Bono's idea of cheap and our idea of cheap maybe something entirely different!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #25
Refugee

The Guinness in Dockers and at the Storehouse great stuff!!
Funny enough I cant stand it anywhere but in Dublin!

Almost forgot The Clarence does a good one as well!
As well as the cocktails!!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:27 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Almost forgot The Clarence does a good one as well
Can you imagine Bono having apart of a hotel if it did not pull the perfect Guinness in the bar............ha!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:29 AM   #27
Refugee

Its a good drink in there but sometimes they make a mess of it when they pull it!!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #28
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
a final word of wisdom....
NEVER
EVER
EVAR
get Guinness in a BOTTLE!

the Pub Draught cans have special cartridges inside; cooled but not *cold* and poured carefully, you can almost have an approximation of a well-pulled Guinness in a pub....

One lass I know, who pours at one of Boston's best Irish-style pubs, likes to finish off her special pints by making a four-leaf-clover design in the head.... cheeky, but entitled to be!
Old 03-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #29
Refugee

Yeah but it tastes different in Dublin!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:27 PM   #30
War Child

I agree nothing like the Guinness in Dublin.. can't wait to get back
Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This thread is probably referring to a story I read at @U2 a couple days ago. I really think they have their info mixed up.

The Future is Black and White for U2's Bono

Sunday People, February 29, 2004

Stephen Maguire

Bono is trying to buy a drop of historic old Dublin -- part of the Guinness Brewery -- even though he never touches the stuff himself!

The U2 star is being linked with a daring move to snap up part of the huge plant which produces the famous black stout.

Much of the sprawling plant at St. James Gate in inner city Dublin now remains idle because of improved technology. Huge warehouses where the hops and other ingredients were once stored now gather dust. And waterways which used to ferry barges loaded with ingredients up to the backdoor of the plant have been replaced by articulated trucks.

But recent developments at the massive 64 acre site have turned it into a prime city-centre location site for entrepreneurs.

As well as a museum, some of the factory is now used as office space for start-up companies.

The popular Gravity Bar, which sits on top of the brewery and has panoramic views of Dublin, is also a huge tourist attraction.

Now multi-millionaire singer Bono is believed to have started negotiations to buy the old hopstore.

Insiders say he has talked about plans to develop the site into a multi-use centre.

It's widely known that the U2 star never touches the black stuff because it causes an allergic reaction that affects his voice.

Bono's favourite tipples are wine and champagne.

"Bono has a real eye for a project and he is really excited about getting a piece of real Dublin. And what could be more of a genuine Irish product than Guinness?" said a source.

"He has had a couple of meetings and is trying to check out exactly what he can use it for.

"He has ideas for a workspace for artists as possibly a venue for young bands.

"It's early days but he is definitely interested in making this pet project get off the ground."

If successful Bono's new venture will expand his property empire even further.

As well as houses in Dublin, France and New York, he also has a stake in the Clarence Hotel and several other ventures.

Sunday People, 2004.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #32
Refugee

Yea, that was it.

Beer tastes different in different places because of the water used to brew it... the stuff I had in Scotland blew away even the best Guinness I ever had in Boston.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #33
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's Tart
Yeah but it tastes different in Dublin!!!
I would think it tastes better in Dublin