"All you Abraham's sons..." now makes sense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
On the Boston version of SBS, Bono sings... "Jesus, Jew, Mohammad too... all sons... of father Abraham..."

Now we know where the lyric "Lay down your guns / all you daughter of Zion / all you Abraham's sons" in "Love and Peace" comes from. :)

LyricalDrug said:
On the Boston version of SBS, Bono sings... "Jesus, Jew, Mohammad too... all sons... of father Abraham..."

i hope he gets rid of that part in SBS for the European leg.

At Chicago 1 (dunno about the other ones) he sang a beautiful snippet of some song during the SBS bridge, I didn't know it, but it went something like "Faaather, faaather Abraham, look at your sons..."

Zion is another word for the Holy Land. I think that the Christian view of Zion is Jerusalem as the true kingdom of God. What Bono is saying is that it's everybody's Holy Land, let everyone share it, don't fight over what no one has complete claim to.

AtomicBono said:
At Chicago 1 (dunno about the other ones) he sang a beautiful snippet of some song during the SBS bridge, I didn't know it, but it went something like "Faaather, faaather Abraham, look at your sons..."

He sang it at Boston 2 also. It was really good.

According to the Old Testament, Abraham and his ancestors were "given" the land of Zion by God himself. Both Muslims and Jews agree that Abraham is the common ancestor of both modern Jews and Arabs. Since Christianity is an off-shoot of Judaism, and Jesus himself was Jewish, all 3 major Western religions have a legit claim to Zion, or the holy land. When parred down to essentials, this is the source of the conflict in the middle east - all 3 religious groups regard Jerusalem as their holy land, and even though they acknowledge that the other groups have legit claims as well, they still want to won the city for themselves. This is what Bono is referring to.

This from www.atu2.com, Column: off the record..., vol. 5-168
The "Father Abraham" reference Bono has been saying during "Bullet" and/or "Sunday Bloody Sunday" lately -- I heard it at the Seattle 2 show, and I think it's continued since then. It sounds like song lyrics or a Bible verse, but my half-hearted searches didn't turn up anything that matches exactly what he says. Anyone? It kinda goes like this:

Father Abraham, where are you?
Father Abraham, look what you've done
You were ???, against your son
Father Abraham, what is this for?
Father Abraham, why all this war?

The mentions of Abraham and a son are reminiscent of Genesis 22, but there's no mention of war there. So what is it?

This from www.atu2.com, Column: off the record..., vol. 5-169

Thanks to all who replied to my question last week about the source of that "Father Abraham" bit Bono has been singing/saying in some of the early Vertigo shows. I didn't make myself clear (big shock there!) because most of you thought I was asking for information about the political history and issues between Jews and Muslims. Sorry for the confusion, but I was really just asking if anyone could identify the words Bono's been singing as coming from some other song or poem ... or are they his own words?

Thanks to some terrific investigative work by Beth (of U2 Sermons), it seems safe to say Bono is singing/saying his own words and not borrowing something from another song or poem. Beth first suggested a World War I-era poet who used the Abraham story to condemn war, and wondered if maybe Bono was familiar with that via his dad, or some other childhood source. Then Beth heard what Bono sang at Chicago 4 (which I've also since heard), and it's pretty clearly a call-out to Abraham (and the biblical story) in Bono's own words.

Re: Re: Re: "All you Abraham's sons..." now makes sense

LyricalDrug said:

Well, I'm often a bit slow.

Anyone know what "all you daughters of Zion" refers to?

This is my only my opinion but
Lay down, Lay down your guns,
All your daughters of Zion
All your Abraham sons

To me Bono is calling out to African natives(Zion) and natives of the middle east(Jews) to stop the violence and call for peace. Of course I can be complestely wrong, just my take

Zion=Jerusalem. I think both terms are stating that the Jews and Palistinians are the same people...so stop killing each other.

Of course, the Bible predicts way back when Abraham had 2 sons that Ishmael (first son and eventual father of the Arabs) and Isaac (2nd son and father of the Jacob/Israel/Jewish race) that they would always be fighting.

As a matter of fact, it mentions Ishmael's descendants will always be causing trouble with other countries.

Should they try and stop the fighting? Yes. Will they? No way. It's not in the cards. Should they come to an agreement about Jerusalem? Not sure. The Dome of the Rock is built ON TOP of the Jewish Temple, not a very nice thing to do in my opinion. In general, history has proven it's never a good practice to destroy/modify/build on top of sacred places. I would imagine the Muslims would be pretty upset if we built a huge cathedral ON TOP of a Mosque in Najaf.

sniggirb said:
This from www.atu2.com, Column: off the record..., vol. 5-169

Thanks to all who replied to my question last week about the source of that "Father Abraham" bit Bono has been singing/saying in some of the early Vertigo shows. I didn't make myself clear (big shock there!) because most of you thought I was asking for information about the political history and issues between Jews and Muslims. Sorry for the confusion, but I was really just asking if anyone could identify the words Bono's been singing as coming from some other song or poem ... or are they his own words?

Thanks to some terrific investigative work by Beth (of U2 Sermons), it seems safe to say Bono is singing/saying his own words and not borrowing something from another song or poem. Beth first suggested a World War I-era poet who used the Abraham story to condemn war, and wondered if maybe Bono was familiar with that via his dad, or some other childhood source. Then Beth heard what Bono sang at Chicago 4 (which I've also since heard), and it's pretty clearly a call-out to Abraham (and the biblical story) in Bono's own words.

So he made it up himself?? :drool: That makes it even better, because it's so BEAUTIFUL!

AEON said:
Zion=Jerusalem. I think both terms are stating that the Jews and Palistinians are the same people...so stop killing each other.

Of course, the Bible predicts way back when Abraham had 2 sons that Ishmael (first son and eventual father of the Arabs) and Isaac (2nd son and father of the Jacob/Israel/Jewish race) that they would always be fighting.

As a matter of fact, it mentions Ishmael's descendants will always be causing trouble with other countries.

Should they try and stop the fighting? Yes. Will they? No way. It's not in the cards. Should they come to an agreement about Jerusalem? Not sure. The Dome of the Rock is built ON TOP of the Jewish Temple, not a very nice thing to do in my opinion. In general, history has proven it's never a good practice to destroy/modify/build on top of sacred places. I would imagine the Muslims would be pretty upset if we built a huge cathedral ON TOP of a Mosque in Najaf.

interesting...Thanks

He did this snippet in Brussels, yes, during SBS and I thought it was quite impressive.
He said the controversial words (big discussion in Goal is Soul about this) "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, its true" and then proceeded to do a snippet of Please and said the words in a way that appeared to me as being sung in a prayer-way, like priests do in a church.

the soul waits said:
He did this snippet in Brussels, yes, during SBS and I thought it was quite impressive.
He said the controversial words (big discussion in Goal is Soul about this) "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, its true" and then proceeded to do a snippet of Please and said the words in a way that appeared to me as being sung in a prayer-way, like priests do in a church.

He did a snippet of Please?? :drool: They should do the whole song...

Back
Top Bottom