All That You Can't or HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like ATYCLB better. While the bomb is more consistent, the high points of ATYCLB are much, much higher IMO. The first 5 songs are some of my favorites, and there's only a couple songs off of the bomb that are that good.

HTDAAB by miles and miles and miles. It's by far the most consistent album since Zooropa, meaning that there aren't any songs that I feel compelled to skip over.

As far as ATYCLB is concerned, I want to turn the CD off after the first four tracks. Beautiful Day, Stuck In a Moment, Elevation, and Walk On are all really good songs (especially BD and WO, and despite the awful production on SIAM), but the rest of the album just goes right downhill after those. A lot of people would argue that Kite is great, too, but the only parts of the song I like are the chorus and the "I'm a man" part. Others would argue that In A Little While is another good one, but I just can't see what's listenable about that song, along with the rest of the album. The rest is just cheesed-out garbage to me. It's got a few classic songs, but it just doesn't hold together as an album. In my opinion.

On the other hand, HTDAAB is brilliant as well as consistent. There isn't a song here that I don't like. Some would argue that One Step Closer is bore or that A Man and A Woman is the beginning of U2's decline into Adult Contemporary irrelevance. I think that the former is beautifully subtle and the latter is a cool, slick song. My biggest complaint here is the lyrics - specifically on "Love and Peace Or Else" (Love and peace, Bono? come on) and Yahweh (could you think up a little bit more imaginative of a chorus?). I can appreciate the direct nature of the lyrics which seems to not get with some people, but sometimes it just gets a bit cheesy. That's pretty much my only complaint, though. Classic album by any band's standards. :up:

XHendrix24 said:
HTDAAB by miles and miles and miles. It's by far the most consistent album since Zooropa, meaning that there aren't any songs that I feel compelled to skip over.

As far as ATYCLB is concerned, I want to turn the CD off after the first four tracks. Beautiful Day, Stuck In a Moment, Elevation, and Walk On are all really good songs (especially BD and WO, and despite the awful production on SIAM), but the rest of the album just goes right downhill after those. A lot of people would argue that Kite is great, too, but the only parts of the song I like are the chorus and the "I'm a man" part. Others would argue that In A Little While is another good one, but I just can't see what's listenable about that song, along with the rest of the album. The rest is just cheesed-out garbage to me.

On the other hand, HTDAAB is brilliant as well as consistent. There isn't a song here that I don't like. Some would argue that One Step Closer is bore or that A Man and A Woman is the beginning of U2's decline into Adult Contemporary irrelevance. I think that the former is beautifully subtle and the latter is a cool, slick song.

Well I';m with you that HTDAAB is the better album BUT how can you say that One Step Closer is a beautiful song and that A Man and a Woman is a cool, slick song and then in not so many words refer to Grace and Wild Honey as "cheesed-out garbage"? And personally I think In a Little While is a great vocal performance by Bono. And I would definately would not call When I look at the World "cheesed out garbage[/b]. To each their own though and like I said, I am in agreeance with you on what the better album is, I just dont agree with your take on ATYCLB.:cool:

since Bono says they are a pair as in they belong together consecutively....I like them Both but for different reasons I cant choose either one knowing that thats what he had in mind.

JCOSTER said:
since Bono says they are a pair as in they belong together consecutively....I like them Both but for different reasons I cant choose either one knowing that thats what he had in mind.

I wouldn't go that far. I doubt Bono knows himself what he has in mind most of the time when it comes to the actual music part of the band.:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom