All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote!!!

• All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 64 36.6%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 111 63.4%

• Total voters
I think both albums have their charms, but what ATYCLB has that Zooropa doesn't is a few really crappy songs. Wild Honey and Grace ruin a perfectly good album.

They're both pretty boring imo, but I guess ATYCLB because it has Walk On and EL-E-VA-TION!

apparently, almost nobody here can admit to liking 'babyface'.
it's one of my favorites. i'm a sucker for melodies that cause cavities. i love all the cool tinkly sequencer noises, and the edge's magnificently phased guitar. i also love bono's pathetically honest lyrics - a closet voyeur, obsessed with what amounts to a stream of zeros and ones...he's beginning to believe she's real. stickky fool....:ohmy:
zooropa has really stood the test of time well, not my absoulte favorite u2 album, but i'm undescribably happy they did it!

dudeman said:
i love all the cool tinkly sequencer noises, and the edge's magnificently phased guitar. i also love bono's pathetically honest lyrics - a closet voyeur, obsessed with what amounts to a stream of zeros and ones...he's beginning to believe she's real. stickky fool....:ohmy:
zooropa has really stood the test of time well, not my absoulte favorite u2 album, but i'm undescribably happy they did it!

:up:

I love Babyface AND Zooropa!

Great songs on ATYCLB: Beautiful Day, Walk On
Great songs on Zooropa: Zooropa, Lemon, Stay

Good songs on ATYCLB: Elevation, Stuck In a Moment (well, the acoustic version at least), Kite, When I Look At The World
Good songs on Zooropa: Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car, Some Days Are Better Than Others, The First Time, Dirty Day, The Wanderer.....hell, even Babyface

Weak-to-awful songs on ATYCLB: In A Little While, Wild Honey, Peace On Earth, New York, Grace
Weak-to-awful songs on Zooropa: None.

Also, Zooropa is one of my favorite U2 albums, while ATYCLB is one of my least favorite, if not my least favorite album of theirs. Probably the latter.

So yeah. Zooropa. :happy:

ZOOROPA baby.

The second half of ATYCLB is pretty weak, IMO (um, although I like New York, but it's still not as great as Zooropa).

Not surprised Zooropa is kicking ATYCLB's ass... y'just can't beat that bass intro on Zooropa :drool:

Zooropa.

But ATYCLB has some good stuff on it too.

The Grace hate has seriously got to stop! It's a gorgeous, subtle, understated gem.

namkcuR said:

The Grace hate has seriously got to stop! It's a gorgeous, subtle, understated gem.

I don't hate Grace, btw! I just think those rhymes lips, skips, fingertips and walk, chalk, talk etc. are really weak coming from Bono!

Zootlesque said:

I don't hate Grace, btw! I just think those rhymes lips, skips, fingertips and walk, chalk, talk etc. are really weak coming from Bono!

They're better than 3/4 of the lyrics on Bomb...

Zooropa.

The title track is probably the best intro to an album ever, it just sets the tone amazingly well.

I really love both albums. I remember when Zooropa came out and I was surpised at the lack of guitars-It's such a laidback album. I'm going with ATYCLB though-Its the start of U2s "Beatle phase"-They're enjoying writing tight, structured songs, getting a bit into soul music. I wouldn't like it if they did this forever but I think it's just another side of music they're tipping their toes into, and I like it.

I will join the Vorsprung durch Technik crowd... :drool:

But I may not be being fair, as I can't find my copy of ATYCLB and thus haven't listened to it... in a couple years. :reject: And I've wanted to, really! I just put In a Little While on repeat on iTunes often. *hides from masses of IALW haters*

amerrydeath said:
I will join the Vorsprung durch Technik crowd... :drool:

But I may not be being fair, as I can't find my copy of ATYCLB and thus haven't listened to it... in a couple years. :reject: And I've wanted to, really! I just put In a Little While on repeat on iTunes often. *hides from masses of IALW haters*

I love IALW!

And I don't care how much Wild Honey gets hate around here. It's a fun little ditty! And i'll like it if i want!

:yes: Listen to this gorgeous version of IALW from Elevation Portland... I can barely hit those notes (and when I try it's not pretty :wink: ). I've always wondered who the girl that sings at the end is... :hmm: *goes off to look up in U2 live book* Doesn't say. :(

http://s44.y s i.com/d.aspx?id=3DI0J6GKFWIHR039DAXPLRJOB7

Zootlesque said:

Exactly. The music and melody are fine, and so is the part where Bono sings "grace finds beauty..." low after playing around an octave higher for the verses. That's really effective. But those lyrics are just awful.

Which is not to say all the lyrics on Zooropa are brilliant either... "some days, you hear a voice, taking you to another place" seems awfully vague and cop-out-ish compared to the great lines that fill the rest of the song.

But none of them are as bad as Grace.

And to whoever said the lyrics on the Bomb are bad... I think this is an example of one line ruining a whole song for some people. Sure, "an intellectual tortoise" is rubbish. But on the whole it's a brilliant lyric that for me chronicals my life as a believer quite well. The same can be said for "I'll give you everything you want except the thing that you want" - don't let one line ruin the song.

Track by track:

Zooropa - Beautiful Day
Babyface - SIAMYCGOO
Numb - Elevation
Lemon - Walk On
Stay - Kite
DGPFYCC - IALW
SDABTO - Wild Honey
The First Time - Peace On Earth
Dirty Day - WILATW
The Wanderer - New York
Siren Noise - Grace

Zooropa - 8
ATYCLB - 3

Star Ratings:
(average stars per song in iTunes)

ATYCLB = 3.5 stars
Zooropa = 4.7 stars

Anyway you look at it, Zooropa is the better album...by a long shot.

Back
Top Bottom