All that you can't leave behind--is awesome!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been listening to ATYCLB almost obsessively over the past year. When it first came out I liked it alot, but in a casual way. Then I started really listening into it, getting into it, and it has so much to offer -- on all levels. "Peace on Earth" -- gets me every time now...:sad: ... but in a good way. "Grace" is my current favorite - its brilliant!!

I love HTDAAB too, but I agree with Larry when he said in U2 by U2 that it doesn't have the same emotional range/depth as ATTCLB.

I listened to this album again today and it might actually be their best one

a shame it's a bit too difficult for most people here to get it
but I have faith that its many layers will become apparent to each and everyone of you
:)

I think ATYCLB is U2's most calming album. You really feel at ease with life after listening, which is saying a lot. It's good to experience different emotions. The lasting impression after ATYCLB is one of joy, which is ironic because (in my opinion) it is lyrically an album dealing with grief (aided furthermore because of its resonance after 9/11), but anywho, it's an amazing album in that respect.

I truly believe that U2 were putting their hearts into the music during that time. The music feels real. Sure...I'm as cynical as the next person, and you can easilly say that it was a SELL OUT, MAINSTREAMY, SAFE in its approach. But I truly believe that the music was carved out of U2's soul. It just happened to be very poppy by accident (and pop isn't a bad thing by any means).

That's why the BOMB rattles my chain. I feel they were onto something truly unique, trying to capture a rockier, punkier, dirtier, darker, more garage band type of feel, but in the end backed out and shoved their "would-be" rock album thru the ATYCLB pop filter. And I'm not saying that to knock ATYCLB in any way. For what it was and is, ATYCLB was a necessary and emotional pop experience. U2 sounded happy, and as a result I felt happy. It's just frustrating, because HTDAAB sounds like a rushed effort (even tho timewise it wasn't) to match the pop success of ATYCLB. It is the first time in U2's career where they really didn't try anything different. It wasn't about furthering the music, it was about furthering the success.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. I'm sure they will be many who disagree, but that's why we're here.

ozeeko said:
I think ATYCLB is U2's most calming album. You really feel at ease with life after listening, which is saying a lot. It's good to experience different emotions. The lasting impression after ATYCLB is one of joy, which is ironic because (in my opinion) it is lyrically an album dealing with grief (aided furthermore because of its resonance after 9/11), but anywho, it's an amazing album in that respect.

I truly believe that U2 were putting their hearts into the music during that time. The music feels real. Sure...I'm as cynical as the next person, and you can easilly say that it was a SELL OUT, MAINSTREAMY, SAFE in its approach. But I truly believe that the music was carved out of U2's soul. It just happened to be very poppy by accident (and pop isn't a bad thing by any means).

That's why the BOMB rattles my chain. I feel they were onto something truly unique, trying to capture a rockier, punkier, dirtier, darker, more garage band type of feel, but in the end backed out and shoved their "would-be" rock album thru the ATYCLB pop filter. And I'm not saying that to knock ATYCLB in any way. For what it was and is, ATYCLB was a necessary and emotional pop experience. U2 sounded happy, and as a result I felt happy. It's just frustrating, because HTDAAB sounds like a rushed effort (even tho timewise it wasn't) to match the pop success of ATYCLB. It is the first time in U2's career where they really didn't try anything different. It wasn't about furthering the music, it was about furthering the success.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. I'm sure they will be many who disagree, but that's why we're here.

Oh I agree:drool:

ATYCLB:drool:

Back
Top Bottom