All that you can't leave behind--is awesome!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep, but it suffers from some poor production.

but that guitar and bono's vocal :drool:

This album more than any changed for the better once played live I feel. I wish the album versions of the following sounded more like they did live:
Stuck In A Moment
Walk On
New York
Peace On Earth

If it was like that, and Grace was dropped, it would be perfect to me.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who prefers the album version of 'Walk On' to the full band live version (though I like what they did with the ending). Bono's voice on the album version just soars during the chorus. He never sung it again the same way. Am I the only one who prefers the album version, overall?

I really dislike the piano/spoken intro on the album version. I do like the "home" verse or whatever it is. The ending is what really does it for me live. The version that blows me away is the Tribute to Heroes version. Makes my hair stand up on end every time.

theoriginal said:
I really dislike the piano/spoken intro on the album version. I do like the "home" verse or whatever it is. The ending is what really does it for me live. The version that blows me away is the Tribute to Heroes version. Makes my hair stand up on end every time.
Yeah, I like the Heroes version, and the ending of the live version is great. It's just that almost every live (full band) version I've heard sounds...well, how do I put it....washed over, almost a mish mash, almost disjointed? I don't know how to put it. Just listen to the Boston and Slane DVDs. It's like the melody is always trying to catch up with the arrangement (or maybe it's the other way around, the arangement is always trying to catch up with the melody). That's probably the best way I can put it.

I think this album would be a classic with just a few minor changes.

1. Change track order and improve flow. Stuck In A Moment is too much of a change of pace from BD.

2. Improve lyrics in parts... life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement... well it's been, been, been a little while etc.

3. Include underrated gems like Levitate and The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

4. Change the intro to Walk On to make it exactly like the single version (on "7") but keep the 'Home' verse. Much much better.

Things like that... oh man, now I'm tempted to make up a revised track order. Watch this space. ;)

I love In A Little While and Kite. Beautiful songs. I still don't think ATYCLB makes it into my top 5 U2 albums though.

Zootlesque said:
I think this album would be a classic with just a few minor changes.

2. Improve lyrics in parts... life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement... etc.

I love that line.

Did I waste it?
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement

:drool:

It's a beautiful idea, one which I'm sure we'd all love to live up to.

The Slow Loris said:

I love that line.

Did I waste it?
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement

:drool:

It's a beautiful idea, one which I'm sure we'd all love to live up to.

I love it too.

Oh My God!!!!

Intro to Walk On (single version) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Intro to any other version! :drool:

I guess it's the piano :combust:

Why didn't they include the "Home" verse in the single version??? :rant: :banghead: :mad: :(

:shifty:

Zootlesque said:
Oh My God!!!!

Intro to Walk On (single version) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Intro to any other version! :drool:

I guess it's the piano :combust:

Why didn't they include the "Home" verse in the single version??? :rant: :banghead: :mad: :(

:shifty:

Haven't you heard that before now?

I don't want to hear a single negative word about Walk On from you ever again :wink:

U2Man said:

Haven't you heard that before now?

I don't want to hear a single negative word about Walk On from you ever again :wink:

Dude, I've heard it before. Just listened to it again and felt like ranting as to why it was not included on the album! :(

And for the record, I haven't been negative about Walk On for a long long time! Have always considered it one of thier best songs.

it really is a good album. I may even listen to it tonight and I haven't listened to U2 in a long, long time. It's not my favorite kind of music but it's seriously good pop for what it is. I do prefer the live versions of Beautiful Day, Elevation, and Walk On by a lot, and the acoustic b-side version of Stuck is so superior it's not even funny. :wink:

The only song I really just dislike is When I Look at the World, cannot get into it at all. If only it was replaced with Ground Beneath Her Feet. :love:

Lyrically it's not mindblowing but would you really want In A Little While to have Zooropa-like lyrics (the song)? They're perfect for the music, and the sort of clunky lyrics on Grace are sweet and funny in a good way rather than embarrassing like some of the lines off HTDAAB.

I dunno I rarely have the desire to actually listen to this album but thinking about it I agree it's very nice. :p

VG's post. :heart: :wink:

VG, if you haven't heard Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix), a beautiful seamless mix of the acoustic and album versions that an Interferencer here once created, let me know. It's perfect.

Okay, here it is.. *drumroll please* what I think is the perfect All That You Can't Leave Behind... at least going by how I'm feeling today :wink:

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND (EXTENDED VERSION)
  1. Beautiful Day
  2. Elevation
  3. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
  4. Walk On (single version)
  5. Kite
  6. Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix) - acoustic & album blended
  7. Levitate
  8. Summer Rain
  9. Flower Child
  10. Love You Like Mad
  11. In A Little While
  12. Wild Honey
  13. Stateless
  14. Peace On Earth
  15. When I Look At The World
  16. New York
  17. Walk On (Hallelujah version w/ "Home" verse)
  18. Grace
    [/list=1]

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - MORE FEASIBLE VERSION (How it should've been released)
    1. Beautiful Day
    2. Elevation
    4. Walk On
    5. Kite
    6. Stuck In A Moment
    7. In A Little While
    8. Wild Honey
    9. Peace On Earth
    10. When I Look At The World
    11. New York
    12. Grace
      [/list=1]

Had to repeat Walk On in the Extended Version because the single version is too good to be ommitted and the other version has the beautiful "Home" verse and guitar solo. :mad:

Anyway... thoughts? :dance:

One of my favorite albums with one of my most favorite underrated song: When I look At The World :combust:

I'd say

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In a Little While
Stuck (acoustic)
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
New York
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Grace

just made that up off the top of my head so it's quite possibly shit.

I've never heard the single version of Walk On, so if someone wants to PM me that'd be cool. just saying :shrug:

:wink:

damn I'm listening to Walk On for the first time in awhile and remembering when I first heard it and how it helped me get through a tough summer and I'm about to get all teary guyz. :sad:

Zootlesque said:
VG's post. :heart: :wink:

VG, if you haven't heard Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix), a beautiful seamless mix of the acoustic and album versions that an Interferencer here once created, let me know. It's perfect.

Okay, here it is.. *drumroll please* what I think is the perfect All That You Can't Leave Behind... at least going by how I'm feeling today :wink:

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND (EXTENDED VERSION)
  1. Beautiful Day
  2. Elevation
  4. Walk On (single version)
  5. Kite
  6. Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix) - acoustic & album blended
  7. Levitate
  8. Summer Rain
  9. Flower Child
  10. Love You Like Mad
  11. In A Little While
  12. Wild Honey
  13. Stateless
  14. Peace On Earth
  15. When I Look At The World
  16. New York
  17. Walk On (Hallelujah version w/ "Home" verse)
  18. Grace
    [/list=1]

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - MORE FEASIBLE VERSION (How it should've been released)
    1. Beautiful Day
    2. Elevation
    4. Walk On
    5. Kite
    6. Stuck In A Moment
    7. In A Little While
    8. Wild Honey
    9. Peace On Earth
    10. When I Look At The World
    11. New York
    12. Grace
      [/list=1]

Had to repeat Walk On in the Extended Version because the single version is too good to be ommitted and the other version has the beautiful "Home" verse and guitar solo. :mad:

Anyway... thoughts? :dance:

1. Re: the 2nd set, I agree with putting 'Elevation' after 'Beautiful Day', but I would rather see 'Wild Honey' after 'Stuck in a Moment'. It's a great transition that makes 'Wild Honey' sound like single material. I've never liked 'Wild Honey' after IALW. I aslo think 'Stateless' and a re-worked 'Levitate' would have given the album the variety it needed to be considered a true classic.

The Slow Loris said:
I would rather see 'Wild Honey' after 'Stuck in a Moment'. It's a great transition that makes 'Wild Honey' sound like single material.

Interesting. I'll have to try this out. :hmm:

The Slow Loris said:
I also think 'Stateless' and a re-worked 'Levitate' would have given the album the variety it needed to be considered a true classic.

So true! But it's hard to fit everything into 12 songs, the number that U2 don't like to go over. :(

Zootlesque said:

Interesting. I'll have to try this out. :hmm:

So true! But it's hard to fit everything into 12 songs, the number that U2 don't like to go over. :(
I know! For a band so obsessed with the Beatles, you'd think they wouldn't mind putting out a 14 or 15 track album now and then! (But to be fair, Beatles songs are about 3 minutes long on average.)

Acoustic Stuck is so superior to the album version. I'd have included that and Ground Beneath Her Feet (maybe the best 2000-era song) on there too.

ATYCLB is better if U2 beef up "Peace On Earth." Or make it acoustic or piano based. "NY" is 100X better live, and the recorded version pales in contrast. Arrange the tune like the live version, and it's classic. And "Elevation" needs to be my mix:

http://www.send space.com/file/bhcowg

2/3 Influx Mix, 1/3 Single mix.

Nah, no appreciation from me.

:wink:

OK, it's good. It deserves to be "underrated" though. Some of U2's most embarrassing moments are here:

1. Enya-like beginning to Beautiful Day
2. Grace
3. How sickeningly saccharine Walk On is
4. Stuck In A Moment in general
5. The fact that Elevation sounds like Britney Spears' cover of I Love Rock N' Roll sped up

You all pick the wrong parts of the album to like.

Wild Honey (U2's pop masterpiece) :drool:
Peace On Earth (powerful...) :drool:
New York (groovy, creepy, and rocks) :drool:

It's OK I guess. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom