All I Want is You video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I was just watching the All I Want is You video- with the circus midget, etc, and I have a dumb question about it. The end shows a funeral, and the midget throws the ring over a casket, but the show the trapezee lady(who he liked) tossing and turning in bed. My question is: who died, or was it just the trapezee lady's dream? Sorry if this is confusing- I'm half asleep. Thanks

That is a good question. I heard a lot of people talking about it and there is no real answer.

Some say it is the midget's funeral and it is just his ghost that is throwing the ring onto the coffin; others say it is the lover or husband of the woman, but it isn't really clear who is lying in he coffin.

I think it isn't just a dream of the woman, though. :confused:

That's a cool video, I really like it. I have absolutely no idea what it's all about though...

Odd, I have no idea what the vid for Last Night On Earth is about either, but I absolutely hate that video. hehe

teehee said:
Even Edge himself doesn't know what happens at the end :shrug:

i bet he's just not saying

edge when asked about the video----> :wink: "em...i don't really know what that one's about"

:lol:

i actually have yet to see that video :reject:

u2popmofo, i do not get the last night on earth video either...

My opinion is the midget, and the midget's ghost is at the end there. Of course, it could be a metaphor for the death of love. Or, it could be that U2 put it in there because they KNEW us fans would debate like mad and they could laugh about it.

Bono: Hey, Adam, I'm bored.
Adam: Well, who knows, there might be an Internet message board where our fans might be debating about the midget and the girl!
Bono: Hahaha!

Ok, probably not, because U2 aren't the sort to make fun of their fans like that, but it's an avenue of exploration. :D

IWasBored said:

i bet he's just not saying

edge when asked about the video----> :wink: "em...i don't really know what that one's about"

:lol:

i actually have yet to see that video :reject:

I think you can find both videos to download in Kazaa :)

u2popmofo said:
Odd, I have no idea what the vid for Last Night On Earth is about either, but I absolutely hate that video. hehe
The director's commentary for it on the Best of DVD suggests that no one really ever knew.

IWasBored said:

Good. I think it would be disturbing if someone really liked that video.

I may be getting mixed up, but isn't the story based on some book or legend or something? :scratch:

edit: just wanted to clarify that I meant the AIWIY video, not LNOE :)

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the priest at the funeral is Adam...I've always tried to stop the tape and put it in slow-mo, but I could never tell.

Midgets + U2 = good video.

They should have used midgets in the Numb video...to dance around the Edge...Safety Dance-style.:dance:

Here is another nice little perspective on the AIWIY video that a mate sent when he is bored at work! lol.

"Just thought of something. In the song "All I want is you" where in the video we are lead to believe that the dwarf fell and died but then the coffin came out full size, I was thinking that typically as a human being we judge people on what they look like and so the dwarf was seen as handicapped or inferior but when a person dies and is removed from our lives we think much more of them. We think of the good memories and we think of them as an
equal hence the full sized coffin. What do you think? I mean you may think very little of somebody in life but when they die you kind of have regrets and put them on a respectful pedestal in death. The dwarf loved that woman but only when he was dead did she notice him."

So there you go! We will probably ponder this video till the cows come home!

paxetaurora said:
Is there anyplace besides Kazaa where I could get that video?

best of 80-90 video or other kazaa-like services...imesh/limewire etc...

I may be getting mixed up, but isn't the story based on some book or legend or something?

I was under the impression that it was loosely based on the Tod Browning film Freaks (which, incidentally, was the inspiration for the Ramones' "Pinhead").

I've can never figure out who dies, my theory changes everytime I watch it. But I always think of this. When the midget throws the ring in the grave, it relates to the lyrics "all the promises we made, from the cradle to the grave." His promise to himself that he was going to give the ring to the girl. Now if he died and that's his ghost, he's taking his promise with himself to the grave and not letting anyone know his true feelings. If the woman died, he's keeping his promise to himself and he's giving the ring to the girl. If the lover of the girl died, he's throwing the ring away to him, because he finally realizes that the lover and the woman truly were meant for each other and he never would want to interfere on that again. So he gets rid of the ring. Those are my thoughts, not yours.

I think I just had a breakthrough on who dies. It's not the boyfriend who dies, because you see him carrying the casket- i think it's the clown who walks into the tent, flails his arms when the midget flies by him, and then falls. Does anyone else see what I mean?

We finally have an answer to this great mystery...

From a recent interview at atu2 with Ned O'Hanlon, who produced the AIWIY video:

Let me ask about some of the short-form music videos you've done. Do you have a favorite of the videos you guys did for the band?

My favorite would have to be one of the most unseen ones, which is "All I Want Is You."

Isn't that the first one you produced?

Yes, it is, but not for that reason. As a production it was also the scariest, nightmare time of my life -- that shoot. But as a video, it's one of my all-time favorites. It's one of my all-time favorite tracks -- U2 tracks. And tracks, indeed. That video has a very special place for me.

The obvious question, then, is who dies at the end of that video?

Well, y'know...(pauses)...it's easy to work it out. She dies.

She dies?

She dies. Because all the other players are there, at the funeral.

But don't we see her, after the--

That's the dream sequence. And actually, we don't see her after that. The last time we see her is being buried. We see the strongman, the bald guy standing beside the boyfriend, with the dwarf throwing the ring in on top of the coffin.

Well, the mystery is laid to rest, no pun intended.

Yes, she dies.

Link: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3212

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom