All because of you next single in rest of the world ? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:27 PM
All because of you next single in rest of the world ?

It's official, 'Sometimes' will be released in US tomorrow. That's the 3rd single in US.

US: Vertigo, All because of you, Sometimes...
ROW: Vertigo, sometimes, ???

I bet: all because of you will be the next single in ROW.
Around 20th of april I think.

Or will they choose for an other like COBL or OOTS and then all because of you as a 4th single?

Old 03-01-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Well, we heard some rumours about COBL but I think they will release ABOY, then MD or COBL. The 4th single will be OOTS.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:27 PM
"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" should have been released in the U.S. (after "Vertigo")

"All Because Of You" can be released in the rest of the world...
(for all I care....)

IMO...It shouldn't have ever been released here in the U.S.
It's just not a "GREAT" song...no matter how you look at it..
Old 03-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:27 AM
I think they realise the mistake of releasing ABOY, at least without promotion. COBL will be the next single and it will be worldwide. This splitting of single releases needs to stop.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
New Yorker

I would be pleased about any other track from the album becoming the next single - but not All Because Of You. I don't know why, but I just can't connect with it.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
War Child

Radio here in Australia is playing 'Miracle Drug' (In Melb at least I have heard it 4 times this week) - but I suspect that it is being pushed as a radio only single as the HTDAAB album is dropping fast at the moment and 'Sometimes' only made number 19 last week.

'All Because Of You' would be a good pick - with Green Day and Franz Ferdinand doing so well here, a faster, punchier single may work well. Personally I would like 'Yahweh' as a single.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 04:27 PM
MD would be a perfect spring/summer single.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 01:27 PM
U2 really need to tour Australia to build up their fanbase there.

ABOY seems to have tanked so badly in North America I'm not sure they're going to try releasing it again.

My money is on COBL...
Old 03-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!

I can't stand that song as a single!!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Ditto the above post!
Old 03-03-2005, 02:16 AM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747
Ditto the above post!
Haha But you didn't take the time to post that one!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:04 AM   #12
Acrobat

i can't understand all this hatred against ABOY...to me it's simply one of the best tune off HTDAAB and would be a perfect choice for a single.
The fact that US audience didn't like it just confirms my theory: it's a great song.
Honestly i don't believe in the directions given by a market that pushed HTDAAB off the top 40 in less than 15 weeks while in the rest of the world it's still in the top 20 so i'm more likely to think that perhaps US don't deserve ABOY instead of considering ABOY a bad chioce.

Anyway having said that i still believe that Miracle Drug would work better as a single...but, again, ABOY remains a good choice for a single.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:07 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dima
i can't understand all this hatred against ABOY...to me it's simply one of the best tune off HTDAAB and would be a perfect choice for a single.

The only thing I find satisfying with this tune is Bono's lyrics and Edge's rocking solo.

The main guitar riff feels stiff, almost as it was programmed into a computer/machine that loops it over-and-over.

Perhaps the very beggining of the song (which I accidentaly heard before the album was released) built too big expectations because it reminds me of a demo track from the Achtung Baby outtakes.

"It left me no illusion" reminds me of the spanish expression "Hace poco ilusión" which roughly translates "it doesn't make a big influence" if i remember correctly

I'm extremely happy that Europe got "Sometimes..." instead of All because of you.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Edge89

The only thing I find satisfying with this tune is Bono's lyrics and Edge's rocking solo.

The main guitar riff feels stiff, almost as it was programmed into a computer/machine that loops it over-and-over.

Perhaps the very beggining of the song (which I accidentaly heard before the album was released) built too big expectations because it reminds me of a demo track from the Achtung Baby outtakes.

"It left me no illusion" reminds me of the spanish expression "Hace poco ilusión" which roughly translates "it doesn't make a big influence" if i remember correctly

I'm extremely happy that Europe got "Sometimes..." instead of All because of you.
actually almost every friend of mine who's not particularly keen on U2 likes ABOY and finds it a catchy tune expecially in the ending part (the part after Bono's "primordial" scream) and i agree with them: it's a great song (very "peral jam-ish")...if you don't like it...well...i'm sorry for you
Old 03-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Better 'All Because of You' than 'City of Blinding Lights'

I don't really mind - I but the singles for the B-Sides, so as long as those are good, i'm happy
Old 03-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 07:27 AM
For me All Because Of You is truly AMAZING song.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
The fact that US audience didn't like it just confirms my theory: it's a great song.
Honestly i don't believe in the directions given by a market that pushed HTDAAB off the top 40 in less than 15 weeks while in the rest of the world it's still in the top 20 so i'm more likely to think that perhaps US don't deserve ABOY instead of considering ABOY a bad chioce.

Anyway having said that i still believe that Miracle Drug would work better as a single...but, again, ABOY remains a good choice for a single.

I too think it's a great song. Maybe the naysayers will like it in concert more. I just felt it's a great rocking song that would be the perfect single. However, I'm not sure how wise it was to release both rocking songs together so quickly. I think a slow song interlude would've helped.

Of course, ANY sort of promotion would've helped too. Yes, snippets of ABoY were played here and there, but non-diehards didn't know what that was.

I really would like to see "Sometimes..." break out and to do so, it needs more push. I hope U2's marketing team does their job. They did everything right with "Vertigo" - they did everything wrong with ABoY.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #18
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:27 PM
I love ABOY. It's been played here on one station here (the only decent one here) regularly since November and I've only started to like it more. I think it would do well as a single.

Quote:

Yeah that must be it, some people on this forum don't like it so America "doesn't deserve" ABOY.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 03-06-2005, 08:59 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by neutral
I love ABOY. It's been played here on one station here (the only decent one here) regularly since November and I've only started to like it more.
well, yeah, not many decent stations so not much airplay for ABoY. and since it wasnt backed up with something as massive as the iPd commercial, it tanked. the fact that it takes massive advertising to get a great song like Vertigo (or for that matter ABoY) on the radio simply shows how lame american music scene is right now. i agree with dima.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 PM
just a thought -- ABOY was a place holder single, the strategy for the single was to keep them on the radio, but not overkill the single like they pretty much did with Vertigo. everyone i know liked vertigo at first, and then it really wore on them -- lots of criticism for the iTunes/iPod collaboration, and if i had a dollar for each time i was asked "what's the deal with 1,2,3, 14!?!?!" i'd have nearly $20.

now, with the tour starting and the Rock and Roll HOF induction (lots of attention will be given to them, *especially* with Saint Springsteen doing the speech), they're going to uncork what will probably be a big single, SYCMIOYO, and we're going to see album sales rebound in a big way as we are heading towards another period of near-ubiquitous U2 and Bono will start to grate on the public again, and then they'll go to Europe and be ignored for a while.

then they'll return in the fall, and then they'll unleash OOTS which, i think, could be a massive single for them.