All because of you next single in rest of the world ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
It's official, 'Sometimes' will be released in US tomorrow. That's the 3rd single in US.

US: Vertigo, All because of you, Sometimes...
ROW: Vertigo, sometimes, ???

I bet: all because of you will be the next single in ROW.
Around 20th of april I think.

Or will they choose for an other like COBL or OOTS and then all because of you as a 4th single?

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" should have been released in the U.S. (after "Vertigo")

"All Because Of You" can be released in the rest of the world...
(for all I care....)

IMO...It shouldn't have ever been released here in the U.S. :no:
It's just not a "GREAT" song...no matter how you look at it..:barf:

I think they realise the mistake of releasing ABOY, at least without promotion. COBL will be the next single and it will be worldwide. This splitting of single releases needs to stop.

:eek: I would be pleased about any other track from the album becoming the next single - but not All Because Of You. I don't know why, but I just can't connect with it.

Radio here in Australia is playing 'Miracle Drug' (In Melb at least I have heard it 4 times this week) - but I suspect that it is being pushed as a radio only single as the HTDAAB album is dropping fast at the moment and 'Sometimes' only made number 19 last week.

'All Because Of You' would be a good pick - with Green Day and Franz Ferdinand doing so well here, a faster, punchier single may work well. Personally I would like 'Yahweh' as a single.

Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!Please, no!

I can't stand that song as a single!!

i can't understand all this hatred against ABOY...to me it's simply one of the best tune off HTDAAB and would be a perfect choice for a single.
The fact that US audience didn't like it just confirms my theory: it's a great song.
Honestly i don't believe in the directions given by a market that pushed HTDAAB off the top 40 in less than 15 weeks while in the rest of the world it's still in the top 20 so i'm more likely to think that perhaps US don't deserve ABOY instead of considering ABOY a bad chioce. :|

Anyway having said that i still believe that Miracle Drug would work better as a single...but, again, ABOY remains a good choice for a single.

Dima said:
i can't understand all this hatred against ABOY...to me it's simply one of the best tune off HTDAAB and would be a perfect choice for a single.

:shocked:

The only thing I find satisfying with this tune is Bono's lyrics and Edge's rocking solo.

The main guitar riff feels stiff, almost as it was programmed into a computer/machine that loops it over-and-over.

Perhaps the very beggining of the song (which I accidentaly heard before the album was released) built too big expectations because it reminds me of a demo track from the Achtung Baby outtakes.

"It left me no illusion" reminds me of the spanish expression "Hace poco ilusión" which roughly translates "it doesn't make a big influence" if i remember correctly

I'm extremely happy that Europe got "Sometimes..." instead of All because of you.

The_Edge89 said:

:shocked:

The only thing I find satisfying with this tune is Bono's lyrics and Edge's rocking solo.

The main guitar riff feels stiff, almost as it was programmed into a computer/machine that loops it over-and-over.

Perhaps the very beggining of the song (which I accidentaly heard before the album was released) built too big expectations because it reminds me of a demo track from the Achtung Baby outtakes.

"It left me no illusion" reminds me of the spanish expression "Hace poco ilusión" which roughly translates "it doesn't make a big influence" if i remember correctly

I'm extremely happy that Europe got "Sometimes..." instead of All because of you.

actually almost every friend of mine who's not particularly keen on U2 likes ABOY and finds it a catchy tune expecially in the ending part (the part after Bono's "primordial" scream) and i agree with them: it's a great song (very "peral jam-ish")...if you don't like it...well...i'm sorry for you ;)

Better 'All Because of You' than 'City of Blinding Lights' :shrug:

I don't really mind - I but the singles for the B-Sides, so as long as those are good, i'm happy :up:

Dima said:
The fact that US audience didn't like it just confirms my theory: it's a great song.
Honestly i don't believe in the directions given by a market that pushed HTDAAB off the top 40 in less than 15 weeks while in the rest of the world it's still in the top 20 so i'm more likely to think that perhaps US don't deserve ABOY instead of considering ABOY a bad chioce. :|

Anyway having said that i still believe that Miracle Drug would work better as a single...but, again, ABOY remains a good choice for a single.

:up: :applaud:

I too think it's a great song. Maybe the naysayers will like it in concert more. I just felt it's a great rocking song that would be the perfect single. However, I'm not sure how wise it was to release both rocking songs together so quickly. I think a slow song interlude would've helped.

Of course, ANY sort of promotion would've helped too. Yes, snippets of ABoY were played here and there, but non-diehards didn't know what that was.

I really would like to see "Sometimes..." break out and to do so, it needs more push. I hope U2's marketing team does their job. They did everything right with "Vertigo" - they did everything wrong with ABoY.

Last edited:
I love ABOY. It's been played here on one station here (the only decent one here) regularly since November and I've only started to like it more. I think it would do well as a single. :shrug:

Dima said:

Yeah that must be it, some people on this forum don't like it so America "doesn't deserve" ABOY. :|

neutral said:
I love ABOY. It's been played here on one station here (the only decent one here) regularly since November and I've only started to like it more.

well, yeah, not many decent stations so not much airplay for ABoY. and since it wasnt backed up with something as massive as the iPd commercial, it tanked. the fact that it takes massive advertising to get a great song like Vertigo (or for that matter ABoY) on the radio simply shows how lame american music scene is right now. i agree with dima.

just a thought -- ABOY was a place holder single, the strategy for the single was to keep them on the radio, but not overkill the single like they pretty much did with Vertigo. everyone i know liked vertigo at first, and then it really wore on them -- lots of criticism for the iTunes/iPod collaboration, and if i had a dollar for each time i was asked "what's the deal with 1,2,3, 14!?!?!" i'd have nearly $20.

now, with the tour starting and the Rock and Roll HOF induction (lots of attention will be given to them, *especially* with Saint Springsteen doing the speech), they're going to uncork what will probably be a big single, SYCMIOYO, and we're going to see album sales rebound in a big way as we are heading towards another period of near-ubiquitous U2 and Bono will start to grate on the public again, and then they'll go to Europe and be ignored for a while.

then they'll return in the fall, and then they'll unleash OOTS which, i think, could be a massive single for them.

Last edited:
There is no hatred of ABOY across the U.S.

Dima said:
i can't understand all this hatred against ABOY...to me it's simply one of the best tune off HTDAAB and would be a perfect choice for a single. The fact that US audience didn't like it just confirms my theory: it's a great song.

You know, no one that I know hates ABOY. We have come to expect all U2 singles to be smash hits in the U.S., which is unrealistic. How well did ABOY do in the U.S.?

ABOY has spent 11 weeks on the Modern Rock Chart, where it peaked at #6. It has spent 11 weeks on Mainstream Rock Tracks where it is currently still #27. ABOY was never released as a single for sale on CD, which is what U2 does in Europe to get press for hitting #1 before the song disappears. Even Vertigo was only available for download in the U.S., which was not counted on the U.S. charts. Now that this is counted, Vertigo is well past Platinum (200,000 downloads) and was the most downloaded song in 2004. Today, 6 months after it's released, Vertigo is still #63 on the Hot 100 Airplay Chart in the U.S.

As for the other two songs released off of HTDAAB, Vertigo is at #23 on the Adult Rock Top 40 while SYCMIOYO is at #24. Sometimes just debuted at #39 on Modern Rock charts.

Now this is all from Billboard, which combines sales and airplay to come up with positions. The airplay charts show U2 much higher, and the Triple A format currently has Sometimes at #6 after 3 weeks, ABOY at #15 after 13 weeks, and Vertigo as the #4 "most played recurrent" after 25 weeks! ABOY peaked at #2 on the American Rock Radio for 3 consecutive weeks, missing #1 (Green Day) by a scant 13 radio plays for #1.

ABOY also did what no other U2 song has done in a long time. It cracked the MTV charts with an MTV jammed sponsored video. Also, while you and many others bash American Music tastes, take a look at the World Singles Chart. To take America out of the equation, look at the Eurochart Top 100 singles.

Please note: The #1 song is J.Lo, there is a country/rap duet at #2, and plenty of Jay-Z, Eminem, Snoop Dog, Maroon 5, etc. as you read on. Looks like music tastes around the world have sunk to a new low, huh? It's sickening to me, too, but I don't hate the UK 'cause I had to put up with the Spice Girls...

http://www.hart87.freeserve.co.uk/eurocharts.html

Now, I can't stand all the negativity here or at Zootopia. Prop fans get bashed for getting tickets, and from a number of people, Americans get bashed since U2 THEMSELVES decide to tour here quite a bit. If you don't like U2's decisions, blame U2. If you don't like America, then hate America, but leave U2 and U2 fans out of it. I NEVER post this kindof stuff, but I'm sick of seeing subtle or blunt posts about U2 fans in America not deserving of this or that. We don't make those decisions.

Are we really ONE, just not the same?

End of :rant: I apologize in advance to those who I have offended. :heart: to all U2 fans, wherever you were born or live now, it doesn't matter.

Re: There is no hatred of ABOY across the U.S.

beLIEve said:

Now, I can't stand all the negativity here or at Zootopia. Prop fans get bashed for getting tickets, and from a number of people, Americans get bashed since U2 THEMSELVES decide to tour here quite a bit. If you don't like U2's decisions, blame U2. If you don't like America, then hate America, but leave U2 and U2 fans out of it. I NEVER post this kindof stuff, but I'm sick of seeing subtle or blunt posts about U2 fans in America not deserving of this or that. We don't make those decisions.

I don't hate America, I don't hate Americans, I don't hate American U2 fans and i've never said " U2 fans in America don't deserve ABOY": what i've said is "perhaps US don't deserve ABOY" (don't you think you've pushed this thing too far given the starting point?)...i was answering to the ones that say that as ABOY didn't do well in US then it's a bad single and to them i was tryin' to say that US' market right now isn't simply the right market for a rock band to take any advice from (and the fact that there isn't almost any rock tune in the top 30 to me just confirms this theory)

no single is going to do "that" well in America, it's just not going to happen, U2 are too old to fit the demographic, even if the song is great. People need to give up on comparisons to the American singles charts, even the rock charts are swyaed to the larger rock listening public which is younger than 25, and U2 have many fans above that age.

So who cares aboiut chart numbers?

All Because of You IS as good as U2 can do on the rock charts in America, the only other hope chart wise is Sometimes, and if that cant hit it on adult charts, and then make a dent on the hot 100, its not going to happen.

Its not going to happen anyways, and the thing is, it doesnt matter. At all.

Re: Re: There is no hatred of ABOY across the U.S.

Dima said:

I don't hate America, I don't hate Americans, I don't hate American U2 fans and i've never said " U2 fans in America don't deserve ABOY": what i've said is "perhaps US don't deserve ABOY" (don't you think you've pushed this thing too far given the starting point?)...i was answering to the ones that say that as ABOY didn't do well in US then it's a bad single and to them i was tryin' to say that US' market right now isn't simply the right market for a rock band to take any advice from (and the fact that there isn't almost any rock tune in the top 30 to me just confirms this theory)

To answer your question, yeah, I probably did. And I've read most ABOY criticisms coming from all over - after we shredded it
'cause it didn't make it to #1, seems like folks from lots of other countries said THEY didn't want the single in the first place. Your post seemed like a just another subtle jab at America, and since we're on a U2 fansite, I don't understand it. I am not the only person who notices this stuff...it's a regular discussion for some and I don't like to participate in it.

Believe me, I meant it when I apologized, as the truth is there are really just a few people here and at the Zoo who use these forums to bash America, and no, you are not one of them. It was one of those things where after you've slept on it, you wish you had left it alone. And, if I lived outside the U.S. w/o many chances to ever see U2, I'd be resentful about that, too. I'd be really pissed if I lived in Australia right now. Maybe it's economics or whatever, but they deserve a stop, and I hope U2 makes it up to them in 2006.

My apologies again for my rant...but I hope I explained things a little...going back to where I usually stay on these issues...:reject:

don't worry and you don't have to apologise: i've understood your point and actually i've noticed that there are some interferencers that use this forum to express an anti-american feeling.
I don't have any reason to agree with them: America is a great country that doesn't need any lesson from anyone on any subjetc that really matters :)...so i was just referring to US charts which i don't like, ok?

U2 needs to push Sometimes in the U.S as much as thay can!

During the tour and after the great impact that Sometimes is gonna have they should imediately release as comercial singles worldwide:

3.City Of Blinding Lights
4.Original Of The Species
5. Miracle Drug

These songs are that good and really deserve a good promotion

Cheers,

N.

Yeah, it's alright

Dima said:
don't worry and you don't have to apologise: i've understood your point and actually i've noticed that there are some interferencers that use this forum to express an anti-american feeling. I don't have any reason to agree with them: America is a great country that doesn't need any lesson from anyone on any subjetc that really matters :)...so i was just referring to US charts which i don't like, ok?

A OK. I didn't even pay attention to your moniker when I replied...your an avid chart watcher at "Peeling off those dollar bills"! :rockon: and :up: to all chart fans!

Back
Top Bottom