Album production (LAPOE!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFlyOnTheWall

Refugee
Well, i don't really like the production. Of almost any song. But I would like to turn on Love And Peace Or Else. When I heard that windy beach-clip i thought it will be a hard-ass-kicking song, one of their best, and probably the best from the album. It had a riff as strong as the one from Whole Lotta Love (Zeppelin).
When I heard the song, i wasn't surprised like I supposed to be (hearing the real song for the first time). I liked the solo, but I really think thay could make it sound more like it should... You know what I mean!? The production destroys the song for me... Your thoughts? [And no, I don't want U2 to be LZ or AC/DC... (or Muse:ohmy:) ]:wink:

I thought that windy beach-clip was all because of you (because that's what I have)!

Which song are you refering to?

Is there a LAPOE beach clip as well?

I can say personally about ABOY that I think I would have prefered the beach clip better...the chorus is different...the "of you" is not as rushed as is the final version (still good though!)

I agree on the muted production. It should sound heavier than it does, plus there's a fuzz guitar in there that shoulda been more prevalent. The Edge ends with an amazing chimey guitar sound (almost like the guitar part at the beginning of the Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary") that should have also been pushed to 11 for the last part of the song.

Still, i love the song.

Agree it will be great live.

The only thing that bothers me about the production is that it seems in certain parts of songs they have mixed the guitar way down. I mean the album certainly is guitar-centric, but COBL and OOTS could have a stronger guitar presence and not lose any of the grandeur or bigness.

I like LAPOE and though it could be heavier it's pretty darn heavy for U2.

LAPOE seemed faster from the beach clips, but I love the album production of this song, nice and crisp with a bif of murk, too.

i have acronyms :wave:

i have my doubts that love and peace or else will be played live.

the live songs already played...
vertigo
all because of you
city of blinding lights
sometimes you can't make it on your own
original of the species
miracle drug

that's already 6 songs... leaves room for only one, maybe two, more off the new album. i think it's safe to assume crumbs from your table is a song that would transfer to a live situation well, so add that to the list... that makes 7. i think it'll only be 7, because you could throw electrical storm & the hands that built america in as potential new live tracks for this tour. with those two and crumbs, that makes 9 new songs for them to play this tour. have they ever played more than 9 new songs on any tour? (not counting the boy tour when they were all new songs wise ass:wink:)

allbecauseofme said:
on the elevation the played every song except grace in some form or another.

atyclb on the elevation tour...
1. beautiful day- regular
2. stuck- regular
3. elevation- regular
4. walk on- regular
5. kite- regular
6. in a little while- became a regular after joey ramone died
7. wild honey- rarely played... played only once on the first leg, played no more than a dozen times durring the entire tour.
8. peace on earth- played only post-9/11 as a one verse lead-in
9. when i look at the world- played once as a snipped on the end of Bad
10. new york- regular
11. grace- never played

that's 7 regulars.

i'm not saying love and peace or else won't ever be played... i'm just saying it won't be a regular. complicated songs tend to not transfer to live settings well... just look at pop.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'm not saying love and peace or else won't ever be played... i'm just saying it won't be a regular. complicated songs tend to not transfer to live settings well... just look at pop.

I disagree.....New York was somewhat complicated in the same vain as Love and Peace or Else with all of the subtle background stuff. Edge said this is his FAVORITE song therefore I can almost gaurantee they play it live. By the way, if you listen to the bassline and basic guitar melody it really ain't that hard to play live. It won't sound like the album, but in some ways when its stripped down (along w/Dallas' guitar help under the stage) it'll sound raw and powerful like New York did on Elevation tour.

LAPOE is not complicated.

I love the production on this song, the dirty, nasty industrial sound doesn't match anything else on the record but it kicks ass! The intro is one of their best ever!

What Edge plays during the verses is as heavy as it gets, but it's not loud enough and the distortion is not too dirty. But that's made on purpose I think. I think Edge turned down the distortion a little to make it sound more like a guitar sounds when the amp is turned down creating a more metallic effect, if he had used the same Vertigo distortion (or the one that he uses on the chorus for this song) it would have been more dirty but not as metallic sounding, it's just to suggest that the song is heavy. I love it and I think it’s going to found great live! I don't see why it wouldn’t be played live.

I REALLY THINK SOME MISTAKES WERE DONE ON THE PRODUCTION. SOME CHOICES WERE REALLY BAD, SOME ALTERNATIVE SONGS SHOULD BE IN THE RECORD,SMILE, ALTERNATIVE SOMETHIMES, MERCY AND THAT WOULD MADE THE ALBUM MUCH STRONGER. IN SOME SONGS IT´S EASYER TO SEE THAT SOME PARTS ARE WRONG, SOME INSTRUMENTS ARE TO LOWER AND SOME LYRICS COULD BEEN SANG BETTER BY BONO. BUT EVEN WITH THAT ALL MISTAKES IT´S A GREAT ALBUM.

What hurts me the most, is that U2 can make, and did make (in the past and present, with all the b-sides and stuff) great songs, but they just didn't choos the right ones for this album. IMO. :|

Smile? Are you serious? That is b-side material through and through. Mercy is debatable, but I really hope that makes it on the next album. The alternative takes on all the songs are still inferior, except maybe Yahweh. The album is fine the way it is.

Mercy, the way it is, it's not for the album. It should be better produced, and would probably be if they wanted to include it...

Back
Top Bottom