Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly I think the power of the album is not in the songs but in the vision it creates. I.E. the sum is better then the parts.

I am had the extraordinary experience of listening to JT and UF for the first time, driving in my car at night alone, through New England. Having never heard much of U2’s music before, I was completely open to what hit me and it hit me hard.

It drew me in to an epic landscape of hope and faith.

The overwhelming sense and message of hope permeated all songs, making up for ones weakness and making the stronger songs so much stronger. The album grew fuzzy, less defined and seemed to blend in to one message, one feeling. And that feeling was that you can get past that next hurdle, you can move through that next desert. It was an album of hope for me and because of that transcendental experience, I could never rate the album or even come close to saying how I feel about it.

I guess I am meandering but my point is maybe if you did not feel too strongly about the album see it as a whole for a minute.

I bought JT in 1990 or 1991 after hearing three-fourths of the songs on the local rock radio station for more than three years. The brilliance of One Tree Hill, Running To Stand Still and Mothers of the Disappeared, plus the genius of the sequencing of the songs didn't hit me for a while, but when it did, it hit BIG.

Tarvark said:
Honestly I think the power of the album is not in the songs but in the vision it creates. I.E. the sum is better then the parts.

I am had the extraordinary experience of listening to JT and UF for the first time, driving in my car at night alone, through New England. Having never heard much of U2’s music before, I was completely open to what hit me and it hit me hard.

It drew me in to an epic landscape of hope and faith.

The overwhelming sense and message of hope permeated all songs, making up for ones weakness and making the stronger songs so much stronger. The album grew fuzzy, less defined and seemed to blend in to one message, one feeling. And that feeling was that you can get past that next hurdle, you can move through that next desert. It was an album of hope for me and because of that transcendental experience, I could never rate the album or even come close to saying how I feel about it.

I guess I am meandering but my point is maybe if you did not feel too strongly about the album see it as a whole for a minute.

Great post, I think this is pretty much the way I have always felt, I have just never been able to put it into words. I like more individual songs on Achtung Baby, but it doesn't affect me in the same manner that the Joshua Tree does. Listening to it is almost like a cleansing experience. It can be so powerful to completely change your state of emotion or composition, and, as you said, give you hope, faith, pride, determination, what have you. Definitely the quintessential spiritual experience in U2's history, and possibly rock n' roll history, for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom