Album 13 Talk: Let's keep it civil.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there will be no more delay news from the band from now on. Next announcement will be that album is finally COMPLETED with either a Title or Release date...They're not talking which is a good sign.

I'll try to get us somewhat back on track by posting my theory that the delays will make this a no-win situation for U2.

No matter what they release now it'll be shrouded in verbiage about the delays and rumoured unhappiness with the material. And the net result is likely to be "we waited this long for this?" even if it really is good stuff.

My point - the bad that comes from delays far outweighs the good. Although perhaps it's just that I don't have the same confidence that others do that songs are improved a lot by tweaking. I think you either have good root material or you don't.

Good point. Several years ago, they had Spider-Man and Bono's back to (justifiably) explain why there was a delay. Now, all they have is "we waited because we wanted it to be great". Five years for twelve songs is beyond ridiculous, and they must be feeling the burden of expectations. If they had released the mythical SOA (or whatever NLOTH "companion piece" they may have had) back in 2010/11, it would've taken a fuck-load of pressure off their shoulders.

I'd like to point out 2 different possible-causes for the delay of the album...of course there could be thousands of reasons, but I'm just gonna speculate over these 2...

- Possible cause 1:
The final tracklist is done, but they are working on: tweaking, additional production of a selected 3 or 4 songs viewed by the band as possible singles, micro-analysis of hooks for world-domination.

- Possible cause 2:
The final tracklist WAS done but they decided that 3 or 4 songs fall on the category of "filler songs" and they want to get rid of them and include 3 or 4 newer-fresher songs that improve the whole album-experience of listening to the 10 songs in order.

In my opinion neither of the 2 options are bad unless they mess with the flow of the album, as it happended with the trinity of evil-songs that they forced into NLOTH.

All in all, I feel confident that the band knows better than anyone what's at stake with this new album and they will deliver the magic pretty soon.

I'd like to point out 2 different possible-causes for the delay of the album...of course there could be thousands of reasons, but I'm just gonna speculate over these 2...

- Possible cause 1:
The final tracklist is done, but they are working on: tweaking, additional production of a selected 3 or 4 songs viewed by the band as possible singles, micro-analysis of hooks for world-domination.

- Possible cause 2:
The final tracklist WAS done but they decided that 3 or 4 songs fall on the category of "filler songs" and they want to get rid of them and include 3 or 4 newer-fresher songs that improve the whole album-experience of listening to the 10 songs in order.

In my opinion neither of the 2 options are bad unless they mess with the flow of the album, as it happended with the trinity of evil-songs that they forced into NLOTH.

All in all, I feel confident that the band knows better than anyone what's at stake with this new album and they will deliver the magic pretty soon.

I think the 2nd cause is more likely to be the case...:up:

I think there will be no more delay news from the band from now on. Next announcement will be that album is finally COMPLETED with either a Title or Release date...They're not talking which is a good sign.

That optimism is a ray of light Reg :up: Seriously, this London session seemed to have a certain continuity. They were finally reported to be in the same city for about 1 month. Epworth's sessions may have been fine-tuning touches. As well as it could be that work may go on 'through' Summer.

Who remembers which month HTDAAB was finished? We may see a similar scene, just that.

Found an old quote from Edge during HTDAAB press release...

EDGE : "U2's never been a band that has relied on hit singles, in fact we were known in the 80s and 90s as the biggest cult band in the world, because we had this major success, sold lots of records, played in big venues, but never really had any history of hits and single sales. But it's always nice if you get one away into the consciousness, whether it's a hit or not in any official sense, just a song that connects on a more broad level than just to U2 fans, and we've had a few over the last few years, Beautiful Day I think definitely did that. But I think there's a few songs on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb which are potentially capable of connecting way up, way broader than just our fans."

Interesting notion that mirrors that desire for relevance today...

That optimism is a ray of light Reg :up: Seriously, this London session seemed to have a certain continuity. They were finally reported to be in the same city for about 1 month. Epworth's sessions may have been fine-tuning touches. As well as it could be that work may go on 'through' Summer.

Who remembers which month HTDAAB was finished? We may see a similar scene, just that.

BOMB came out mid November and the Q magazine article with the track by track preview of the album came out October 2nd. Interview dated back from July 1st, but published strategically to fit the promo timeframe of the album...

I say album is out this fall (Sept-Oct) and we should get full mag article about the album (like they always did) this summer

Oh we can go lower...

I see your Millie Jackson and raise you THIS:

wasnatch_large.jpg

I see a trumpet and a french horn, but the process isn't complete without a rusty trombone.

I'll try to get us somewhat back on track by posting my theory that the delays will make this a no-win situation for U2.

No matter what they release now it'll be shrouded in verbiage about the delays and rumoured unhappiness with the material. And the net result is likely to be "we waited this long for this?" even if it really is good stuff.

In terms of what U2 are trying to do, it was a no-win situation regardless.

But as you illustrate, the delays have certainly made it worse.

I think you either have good root material or you don't.

That's the most true statement in the whole thread.

It's either there or it isn't, in terms of the basic material. And maybe that's the reason for the delay. Maybe, just maybe, they aren't hammering on the same so-so ideas and trying to turn them into something else but actually trying new ones altogether. I hope that's what they are doing. Dwelling on it too long almost always ends up mediocre. Otherwise, I honestly would rather they retired than put out another album in the line of over-thought material.

- Possible cause 2:

I'd change that to "they'll replace songs with new songs that they think are better but actually just seem to be because they're new."

They should just release a double album, something like Tusk or the White Album. Or a triple like Sandinista! A U2 version of Sandinista would be awesome, and Bono likes it...but it's not gonna happen. More likely we'll get U2 version of A Rush Of Blood To The Head and the snake will continue to eat its tail.

I just heard that they hired Glen Fry and Don Henley as co-lead vocalists and there's going to be a post-punk barbershop quartet country rock element to the album.

It has the working title of "Life In The Streets That Have No Name, or How I Learned To Love Hotel Zooropa and Stop Worrying About Unforgettable Desperados."

Don't forget "Love Stinks" and "Muffle That Fart"...Aptly titled for the album :|

Those aren't Betty Wright songs..I was saying that the Millie Jackson jacket you posted reminded me of Betty Wright. The (rather tenuous) connection is that MJ would deliver rambling monologues live - mostly rather explicit - and remembering that took me over to Betty Wright who also had some monologues live. Tonight Is The Night live usually had one of her more well known.

Millie has some decent tracks - her cover of If Lovin You Is Wrong is great - but I can't recall if there's much of anything on that album you posted that I like.

Guys, the site was down for a while today and I thought the album leaked!!!1111!!111

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover
And my penis was missing again
This happens all the time
It's detachable

This comes in handy a lot of the time
I can leave it home when I think it's going to get me in trouble
Or I can rent it out when I don't need it

But now and then I go to a party
Get drunk
And the next the morning, I can't for the life of me
Remember what I did with it

First I looked around my apartment
And I couldn't find it
So I called up the place where the party was
They hadn't seen it either

I asked them to check the medicine cabinet
'Cause for some reason I leave it there sometimes
But not this time
So I told them if it pops up to let me know

I called a few people who were at the party
But they were no help either
I was starting to get desperate
I really don't like being without my penis for too long

It makes me feel like less of a man
And I really hate to having to sit down
Every time I take a leak

After a few hours of searching the house
And calling everyone I could think of
I was starting to get very depressed
So I went to the Kiev and ate breakfast

Then as I walked down Second Avenue toward St. Mark's Place
Where all those people sell used books and other junk on the street
I saw my penis lying on a blanket next to a broken toaster oven
Some guy was selling it

I had to buy it off him
He wanted 22 bucks but I talked him down to 17
I took it home, washed it off
And put it back on

I was happy again, complete
People sometimes tell me
I should get it permanently attached but I don't know
Even though sometimes it's a pain in the ass
I like having a detachable penis

Detachable penis
Detachable penis
Detachable penis

It's detachable

Get drunk

And I couldn't find it

But not this time

Every time I take a leak

Some guy was selling it

I had to buy it off him
And put it back on

People sometimes tell me

Detachable penis
Detachable penis
Detachable penis

To be sung to the tune of Breathe

And immediately, that song is in my head. Thanks, King Missle and Mrs. Garrison.

Oh, the 90s.

I cannot make gifs. I can only save them in Photobucket and use them cleverly and judiciously.

It's detachable

Get drunk

And I couldn't find it

But not this time

Every time I take a leak

Some guy was selling it

I had to buy it off him

And put it back on

People sometimes tell me

Detachable penis

Detachable penis

Detachable penis

This is better than the lyrics to half of Bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom