Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you say that. I remember during the Popmart days that it would have been fun for The Fly to return during the final encore.

Gosh what a great tour!

Yeah, they probably dont feel missed and I think it started with the somewhat muted reception of nloth, though I think that was a stellar record, even more so when I listen to it today. I think that was a bit of a hard pill to swallow and maybe we are seeing the effects of that. Having said that, as CK pointed out, this is not too different from their usual recording process. Yes the last 'delay' may be infuriating but its not too different from what happened pre htdaab.

For an act U2's age may be the problem here. Again, I'm not privy to their innermost thoughts but for the kind of band U2 are/were and aspire to be they seem to want to be the talking point or at least one of the talking points outside their core base.
Personally, this seems to be about right for a band like u2. This kind of latter day turmoil fits the story of a band that sought to be heard and discussed far and wide. And frankly this earnest desire in them, in a way totally anomalous to rock culture, is why I have loved this band and wouldnt want it any other way. I am sure the album will come, what's a bit of delay after 30 years?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I think you're right, and I think this is part of the struggle and frustration. Every other band in U2's age bracket would kill for the reception that OL and Invisible got, there was nothing apathetic about it. The problem is is that this is U2 and they are use to big. Ozeeko will have a heart attack but he recently made a post that I agree with 100 %, every album except Zooropa has been about them fighting for the top tier, this is just what they do. Every album of theirs has at least one song that will remain in the pop culture vocabulary except Zooropa, Pop, and NLOTH. So what most would be happy with, probably makes them uncomfortable. And how do you break that when you've had it most of your very long career?

Adam Clayton - Ireland AM

New interview with Adam, I believe. Being outside of Ireland I cant confirm what he doesnt say about the new album

It's not available outside region. That said, I have the YouTube equivalent posted in Ad's thread in PLEBA.

Bmf5xEjIgAA1IAV.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9w2J9Cv3LQ

So album "HOPEFULLY" done BEFORE summer ?

What really itches in my ear is the word "HOPEFULLY" which carries a certain amount of insecurity. I mean, they should know at that point what the dealine is :doh:

Who's behind that "HOPEFULLY" quote ?

Edge Remixing it to death ?
Larry's attitude ?
Bono's culinary globetrotting ?

and Adam has to deal with all this... :wink:

The gap feels longer...because it actually is.

The length between album releases is already a year longer. A year being actually longer than the 360 tour delay of 10 months. So shave off that tour delay, it's still longer. Literally.

The time between the end of the tour to the next album is already 8 months longer and surely will reach a year before we see album #13. And the studio sessions are TWICE as long as any sessions they've ever had.

To put that in perspective, all three of their recent 'delayed' albums (POP, HTDAAB, NLOTH) took less than two total years to record. They hired Danger Mouse as a producer before they concluded 360, in late 2010.

So let's ignore that anyway, just to be nice. Let's throw out the 10 months of tour delay between Oct '09 and Aug '10.

So it's been 34 actual months since 360 ended. But we're shaving off 10 of those months because Bono's injury threw a monkey wrench into things. So, 24 months, as of May 2014. That's the new "hiatus" number if only counting the "hiatus" as starting from the end of the tour to the next album.

Vertigo ended Dec 2006. NLOTH came out February 2009. 26 months. So they'd have to have an album out in the next two months for the gap to not to be literally longer counting in the most generous way possible.

It's feels longer because it already is. And even if we try to be as nice as we possibly can, it certainly is about to be longer in every conceivable way.

But yeah, keep fighting the good fight against the facts, folks.

Who's behind that "HOPEFULLY" quote ?

Edge Remixing it to death ?
Larry's attitude ?
Bono's culinary globetrotting ?

and Adam has to deal with all this... :wink:

Pfft. I like his "I'm not announcing anything until it's out there." quote better.

And it's ALWAYS Edge's fault. He'd remix it after it was out and they were on the damn road. OH WAIT. :doh: :lol:

The length between album releases is already a year longer. A year being actually longer than the 360 tour delay of 10 months. So shave off that tour delay, it's still longer. Literally.

The time between the end of the tour to the next album is already 8 months longer and surely will reach a year before we see album #13. And the studio sessions are TWICE as long as any sessions they've ever had.

To put that in perspective, all three of their recent 'delayed' albums (POP, HTDAAB, NLOTH) took less than two total years to record. They hired Danger Mouse as a producer before they concluded 360, in late 2010.

So let's ignore that anyway, just to be nice. Let's throw out the 10 months of tour delay between Oct '09 and Aug '10.

So it's been 34 actual months since 360 ended. But we're shaving off 10 of those months because Bono's injury threw a monkey wrench into things. So, 24 months, as of May 2014. That's the new "hiatus" number if only counting the "hiatus" as starting from the end of the tour to the next album.

Vertigo ended Dec 2006. NLOTH came out February 2009. 26 months. So they'd have to have an album out in the next two months for the gap to not to be literally longer counting in the most generous way possible.

It's feels longer because it already is. And even if we try to be as nice as we possibly can, it certainly is about to be longer in every conceivable way.

Well I'm looking at gaps between new material.

When the last show of the last tour was doesn't mean anything to me, I wasn't there, I didn't see it.

When the last show of the last tour was doesn't mean anything to me, I wasn't there, I didn't see it.

I was in Pittsburgh, at the second-to-last show. And I doubt very much the band was worried about writing shiny new material while finishing up a 2 yr long stint on the road. Just a thought.

Touring is WORK. Hard work. For everyone from Bono down to the riggers and the techs. They're not worried about putting out new albums while in the midst of that life. Especially when trying to juggle families as well.

I'm not sure you being in attendance is relevant. But for what it's worth, I was at the show in Moncton.

Anyway, the last show of the tour sort of marks the end of that era. The 360 era was closed on that day, and they probably kicked back, relaxed, did whatever, but that's when the era ended and everybody -- the band, fans, whomever -- looked ahead.

They were officially free of No Line on the Horizon and 360 at the last show, just as they were in Hawaii in 2006 when Vertigo ended, etc. Sure, they jam and write some songs on the fly, but they're not really truly beginning work on new albums until the tour is in the books.

I was in Pittsburgh, at the second-to-last show. And I doubt very much the band was worried about writing shiny new material while finishing up a 2 yr long stint on the road. Just a thought.

Touring is WORK. Hard work. For everyone from Bono down to the riggers and the techs. They're not worried about putting out new albums while in the midst of that life. Especially when trying to juggle families as well.

What I was saying is that most will define a hiatus as the time between new material, not from the end of tour to new album.

At the end of the interview, Adam is asked if U2 are getting better with the maturity of their age. He rather wanted to underline the craft of the single members as the real strenght, from what I gathered, and he adds, about that: "it's a double-edged sword".

OMGz what did he mean with that??????? :crack: Happily speculate. :wink:

Seriously: maybe too many single good ideas conflicting? Good.

At the end of the interview, Adam is asked if U2 are getting better with the maturity of their age. He rather wanted to underline the craft of the single members as the real strenght, from what I gathered, and he adds, about that: "it's a double-edged sword".

He freaking LAUGHED when asked about maturity. They're still in some ways, those four Dublin lads in Larry's kitchen. The "double-edged sword" comment was in regards to their position as one of (if not THE) best bands in the world. They are still those same four guys, but they have high expectations of themselves due to the decades of success.

I speak fluent Adam. It's a gift. :shifty: :whistle:

He freaking LAUGHED when asked about maturity. They're still in some ways, those four Dublin lads in Larry's kitchen. The "double-edged sword" comment was in regards to their position as one of (if not THE) best bands in the world. They are still those same four guys, but they have high expectations of themselves due to the decades of success.

I speak fluent Adam. It's a gift. :shifty: :whistle:

Ha! In fact I was asking you to translate. :wink: Adam is really plain most of the time luckily :) Cheers.

Bono wants to show off all he's learned in his guitar lessons with Dan Smith.

Let's hope this frequent hanging out with chef Batali helps them to not overcook their recording ideas.

:reject:

:up:

So basically you're saying that by shaving 10 months off (B's injury), that we're pretty much right on the EXACT same schedule as the previous albums. :up:

According to your math, this place is full of
tumblr_md1rnigM0w1r2q56co1_250.gif

Yet the band is right on schedule.
8b90fdf745b68b7e0b71db9847794a58.jpg

Carry on, then.
7d4fe74f580d3a43eb98ff10dca7e39d.jpg

So basically you're saying that by shaving 10 months off (B's injury), that we're pretty much right on the EXACT same schedule as the previous albums. :up:

According to your math, this place is full of
tumblr_md1rnigM0w1r2q56co1_250.gif

Yet the band is right on schedule.
8b90fdf745b68b7e0b71db9847794a58.jpg

Carry on, then.
7d4fe74f580d3a43eb98ff10dca7e39d.jpg

How do you gather from his post that the band are still on schedule or on par with previous breaks? Let's say that Adam really isn't full of shit and that the band does finish the album by the end of the summer, they're still not going to release it until Oct/Nov, which would then make it the longest gap between the end of tour and the next album in the band's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom