Album 13: Shit Gets Real

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Here it comes!

new song, Invisible, in 9 days. Bono says it's a teaser for the new album. Will this give us a sense of their (new?) sound?

We'll be able to download Invisible off itunes for 24 hours, for free.

A video has been filmed, directed by Mark Romanek, to be aired at some point thereafter.

Fallon on February 17. (Will U2 play with the Roots?)

I'm going to be the ass that quotes himself.

so much comes down to this one song..

the perception people will have about this ad and the partnership.

the perception people will have about U2 relevance in 2014.

the perception we will have about the new album.

the potential to bring the casual fan back into the fold.

the potential to win over skeptics. (long shot)

nutso

I don't know that there's been any indication that The Roots are moving over with Fallon. It'd be nice, but has this been confirmed?

also

I'm surprised that noone has figured out how Invisible will fit in to the album. It will be a hidden track! Hence, well, it's name.....

:wink:

I don't know that there's been any indication that The Roots are moving over with Fallon. It'd be nice, but has this been confirmed?

also

I'm surprised that noone has figured out how Invisible will fit in to the album. It will be a hidden track! Hence, well, it's name.....

:wink:

It was "confirmed" in April of last year..
The Roots Will Follow Jimmy Fallon to "The Tonight Show" | News | Pitchfork

but I haven't seen anything to that effect since.. so things might have changed?

I'm going to be the quoter who kicks your ass.

:D

:reject: :wink:

Does anyone else find it ironic that U2 would align themselves with one of the biggest banks in the world after they've acquired (rightly or wrongly) a public image of tax dodging? You'd think they'd try and distance themselves from anything financially obvious.....but a freaking BANK?! They don't need any reminders, one would think. This is the only thing I can see as a potentially perilous threat to the promotion of the new single, as I truly believe the quality of the song will make up for it in spades. I have no idea why I believe the song is going to be amazing (well, actually, I do - it's being used for the Superbowl, lol), but I just have a feeling it will be the best thing we've heard from U2 in a very long time.

we've probably already reached beating the dead donkey territory with the BOA talk, but for what it's worth.. here's some thoughts from both parties...

U2 singer Bono joins Bank of America in pursuit of common goals - FT.com

...both sides said the idea of crossing the finance-pop divide initially made them wary.

“When we looked into BoA I saw that values were important to them and they were trying to compensate for the financial meltdown and put corrective strategies in place – my band might not be sitting here if it were not for that,” Bono said. “But this is about outcomes [for Red] . . . it’s a great result.”

“We started to rebrand ourselves a year ago – this is a chance to show we can do good things,” Mr Moynihan echoed, noting that he hoped the alliance would now “have a crescendo effect”.

Does anyone else find it ironic that U2 would align themselves with one of the biggest banks in the world after they've acquired (rightly or wrongly) a public image of tax dodging? You'd think they'd try and distance themselves from anything financially obvious.....but a freaking BANK?! They don't need any reminders, one would think. This is the only thing I can see as a potentially perilous threat to the promotion of the new single, as I truly believe the quality of the song will make up for it in spades. I have no idea why I believe the song is going to be amazing (well, actually, I do - it's being used for the Superbowl, lol), but I just have a feeling it will be the best thing we've heard from U2 in a very long time.

:up: that's what was doing my head in too, and exactly what i meant by potential backlash, and why i think they must be utterly fearless (or nuts)

I'm with you here..

of course I WANT to believe as much, but I have a sense that they feel this song is pretty special.

Geldof vs. Bono

fight to the death!

Bob Geldof backs Russell Brand’s call for political revolution - Independent.ie

Banks, he says, have been allowed to go "out of control", while pure human greed has led to the invention of "completely spurious" financial products.

"They ceased to [give money to others] and gave it to themselves through fraud, outright international global gangsterism," he claimed.

"That's what it was," he continued on the subject of the recent banking crisis. "Mispricing of products, fraud. Mis-selling of products, fraud. Fixing the interbank lending rate.

"Fraud. It was fraud on an unprecedented scale! They sucked billions out of the world economy, destroying individuals, companies and countries.

I think Bono has made it clear that he'd align with anyone who is willing to help him achieve his charitable goals.

Perhaps it's in keeping with his biblical values of forgiveness. To him the past isn't important, it's about where we can go in the future.

If the captain of the Costa Concordia wanted to donate $2 mil to RED, Bono would be at a podium with him. And in a lot of ways, I'm okay with that.

I just hope the music's integrity doesn't get eroded by the tie to a very different realm.

:lol: So because of some bullshit rumours that have been debunked years ago, U2 shouldn't have any partnerships with anything affilated to generate loads of cash for a good cause?

They better not be working together with airlines then. Seeing as we had that rumour of Bono flying his hat first class to Italy. :panic:

not paying attention lads - it was already confirmed here in the other thread :tsk:

Hopefully the discussions about BOA either make their way to another thread or die down sooner than later when the actual song is released.

Mark Romanek's video resume is impressive. Criminal, Hurt, and 99 Problems are classics.

"99 Problems" (director's cut) by Jay-Z
"Faint" by Linkin Park
"Can't Stop" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash
"Cochise" (director's cut) by Audioslave
"Hella Good" (director's cut) by No Doubt
"God Gave Me Everything" by Mick Jagger
"Got 'Til It's Gone" by Janet Jackson
"Criminal" by Fiona Apple
"The Perfect Drug" by Nine Inch Nails
"Devils Haircut" by Beck
"El Scorcho" (director's cut) by Weezer
"Novocaine for the Soul" by Eels
"Little Trouble Girl" by Sonic Youth
"Scream" (director's cut) by Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson
"Bedtime Story" by Madonna
"Strange Currencies" by R.E.M.
"Cold Beverage" by G. Love & Special Sauce
"Closer" (director's cut) by Nine Inch Nails
"Jump They Say" by David Bowie
"Rain" by Madonna
"Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz
"Wicked as It Seems" (director's cut) by Keith Richards
"Free Your Mind" by En Vogue
"Constant Craving" by k.d. lang

:lol: So because of some bullshit rumours that have been debunked years ago, U2 shouldn't have any partnerships with anything affilated to generate loads of cash for a good cause?

They better not be working together with airlines then. Seeing as we had that rumour of Bono flying his hat first class to Italy. :panic:
Debunked according to whom? Definitely not the casual music fan. Do I care that U2 moved their business to the Netherlands in order to pay lower tax? No, not at all. I would have probably done the same, as it was a prudent business decision. However, I probably wouldn't want to exasperate a poor public image either, as that would also not be the best business decision. Whether we agree with U2's business decisions is really a moot point in the end. What we can agree with is that perception is reality for a lot of people. And the perception is among the masses (rightly or wrongly) that U2 are tax dodgers of the highest order. That is why it surprises me that they would align themselves with a huge bank instead of distancing themselves. Perhaps they are so altruistic that they have finally thrown out their fears when it comes to public perception. And if so, Bravo. I applaud them for that, as there will be millions of lives saved because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom