Album 13: Shit Gets Real

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Downplay it all you like, but if this song fizzles so could U2. I am as big a fan as they come and even with my narrow "U2 before any other band" I realize this

This song is very important

You said "THE most important". Care to explain that?

It would do well to crack the top 5 of the biggest songs of their career and really not even then.

1. One of those earliest singles that got them noticed.
2. I Will Follow helped launch them even wider.
3. NYD, after the relative disaster of October which could have ended them.
4. The Fly (reinvention - trying to stay relevant into the 90's)
5. Beautiful Day - second reinvention.

Invisible, for better or worse, doesn't belong in the same conversation.

So U2 fizzles with this single/album...so what?

What he said. Though I'd put With Or Without You in there because that's what led people to the album that took them into the stratosphere.

I'm pretty sure U2 is Team Pie anyway.

I'm pretty sure Bono is just Team Food in general.

If the song fizzles, all hell will break lose. That's why I brought Desmond back to the island.

What he said. Though I'd put With Or Without You in there because that's what led people to the album that took them into the stratosphere.
Yeah, With Or Without You should definitely be there.

I'd also include One since it turned around the recording sessions for the band's second-most celebrated(arguably most celebrated) record and ended up being a huge single and making greatest-song-ever type lists.

Also Sunday Bloody Sunday, because IIRC, the composition of that song was kind of the end/culmination of the spiritual conflict that the band went through during October, and becauser the Red Rocks performance of it is probably still one of the most watched/played things they've ever done.

And Streets, because it's their Stairway.

And Pride, because it was their first big single in the States.

And Bad, because the Live Aid and WAIA performances were important in expanding their audience and setting the stage for JT.

I'm going to stop now. It's hard picking just five 'biggest' songs of their career.

Bank Of America

Buy: One 60-second commercial between the first and second quarter to introduce a partnership among Bank of America, U2 and Red, the group co-founded by Bono to enlist brands in fighting disease, particularly HIV/AIDS.

Creative: The commercial will feature Bono and the rest of U2 performing a new song called "Invisible," which will be available free on iTunes during the game and over the next 24 hours. Bank of America said it will donate $1 for every download in that time, up to $2 million.

Agency: Hill Holliday in Boston and Mad Agency London

Super Bowl Ad Chart: Who's Buying What in Super Bowl 2014 | Special: Super Bowl - Advertising Age

https://twitter.com/U2uruguay/status/426846127842131968

Oikos (Dannon)

Buy: One 30-second spot during the fourth quarter

Creative: Dannon made its Super Bowl debut in 2012 with an Oikos Greek spot featuring actor John Stamos, but skipped the 2013 game because it wanted time to evaluate the long-term viability of the Oikos brand, which launched in mid-2011, as well as the sustainability of the relatively young Greek segment. Now it's back with plans to reunite Mr. Stamos with fellow former "Full House" cast members Bob Saget and Dave Coulier.

Stamos, Sagat and Coulier? Who needs U2?!?!?!?!

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Apparently Lance's Mom bought a 30-second spot to feature her "Super Blow", but the exact air time isn't set because they're trying to do a live transmission when she breaks the world record.

Sources say she's pacing herself so that it happens during halftime.

Ok well just to clarify they did indeed move their a significant portion of their business to a different tax base, and the move was to be more tax efficient. They have outright stated that. A more unsophisticated adjective might be 'dodge', true, but the main purpose of the move, at it's core, was to pay less tax.

I don't necessarily agree with the rest of the perception idea that was being expanded on, but that point bears mentioning. They did it, and took some amount of a pr hit in the public for it.

I am not rich. But I do have some property. I still pay mortgage on that property, with corresponding interest. I deduct that interest every year to be "tax efficient". I guess I could not deduct it, but that would be outright stupid.

My point is that it make sense to be fiscally sound.

Bono is campaigning for debt forgiveness, which means loans that were granted from people's taxes will never be returned. People think that they are being ripped off while Bono finds a way to pay less taxes. The reality is that those countries could never pay back those loans. They were barely making the interest payments on the loans. If tax payers want to complain about wasted money, there's the benefits given to those in government, support of wars, support of rebels, arms dealing, etc., that cost almost infinitely more.

But then, most people are morons. So I shouldn't expect much. Still, just today I read comments about those saying how U2 should not just ask for $ but do some of their own charitable work. I also read how U2 "never did this charity stuff in the 80's". Again, morons.

I, for one, will be downloading as fast as I can when the song is released. I hate the Mannings and I hate Pete Carroll, so this is a horrid Super Bowl for me. Now at least I have a reason to minutely care.

Don't know if this was already posted, apparently the ad will appear between the 1st and 2nd quarter

Bank of America

Buy: One 60-second commercial between the first and second quarter to introduce a partnership among Bank of America, U2 and Red, the group co-founded by Bono to enlist brands in fighting disease, particularly HIV/AIDS.

Creative: The commercial will feature Bono and the rest of U2 performing a new song called "Invisible," which will be available free on iTunes during the game and over the next 24 hours. Bank of America said it will donate $1 for every download in that time, up to $2 million.

Agency: Hill Holliday in Boston and Mad Agency London

Super Bowl Ad Chart: Who's Buying What in Super Bowl 2014 - Ad Age Mobile

$2 million? That's it? U2 are in bed with the fucking Bank Of America for a maximum of $2 million for Africans?

This company has knowingly sold hundreds of billions of worthless securities to unions and pension funds (New York state filed two different lawsuits against Bank of America and its subsidiaries on behalf of its pension fund, one of which was settled for $624 million)Bank of America Forced to Pay $335 Million to Exploited African Americans

Seriously? Could U2 not have found another company to partner with, one that is maybe just a smidgen less predatory?

BoA are using the U2 brand to whitewash their image, and U2 are helping to hoodwink the public into believing that this bank is something aside from a cancer on the world.

Does anyone want to talk about music?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Can I just say I love this thread title?

:lol: Yeah, me too. <3

It's encouraging that they are even trying though. With the kind of music that is popular these days, they could easily push for artistic and critical quality, without the 12 year old girls being into it. This is ballsy, and if it works, we could take music back from the kids who stole it!

I have been WAITING for my opportunity to use this:

tumblr_mzpepi4BUh1rn05kho1_500.jpg

It's going to be 3 and a half minutes of a 20-year-old woman smacking Bono in the ass.

Cameo appearance by Adam's hair.

:applaud: Well played. I'm actually starting to like Nu!hawk. My man's got some serious swag happening. :yes:

:drool: One of my favorite moments. Look at that bounce!

I prefer seeing Bono slap Adam's arse than seeing some random girl slapping Bono's arse. Arse slapping within the band is so much better.

Helsinki_CT_lovetap2.jpg

:love:

Keep that slashfic in BAGEL, please.
Hey, when they do it on stage in front of god and everyone ... :wink:

Oh, you mean like when Bono would lean on Ad', stare right into his eyes, and then kiss him full-on in front of the entire world? :drool:
9BonoKissingAdamClayton.jpg

Propose to change the title of thread to 'Bank of America discussion thread.'

Does anyone want to talk about music?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

let's talk about the fact that Edge used the black strat during the Haiti benefit gig, on songs he'd never used the black strat for. I think.

black strat! the ugliest of guitars. Edge love. :heart:

$2 million? That's it? U2 are in bed with the fucking Bank Of America for a maximum of $2 million for Africans?

This company has knowingly sold hundreds of billions of worthless securities to unions and pension funds (New York state filed two different lawsuits against Bank of America and its subsidiaries on behalf of its pension fund, one of which was settled for $624 million)Bank of America Forced to Pay $335 Million to Exploited African Americans

Seriously? Could U2 not have found another company to partner with, one that is maybe just a smidgen less predatory?

BoA are using the U2 brand to whitewash their image, and U2 are helping to hoodwink the public into believing that this bank is something aside from a cancer on the world.

Potentially 14 million actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom