Album 13: [Insert News Here]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But as for him being the plain one or not, I'm glad not everybody thinks so because like I said, he really is a goodlooking man. But my sense around the fangirl community is that he has usually been thought of as the plain one, kind of a quirk one has to have a taste for.

Really. Huh. I mean I don't look at any of them in terms of good looking/sex appeal whatever...when I say plain vs not plain Id probably first be thinking more style-wise, fashionable (or not)...and to me, he's always had the best style. Edge and Larry pretty much are jeans and tshirt guys and Bono...well he's pretty plain too when you really check it out he pretty much sticks to a certain look. Adam to me has always been more out there, more stylin' - even if it it's more subtle nowadays, it's still better than alot of what the other band members wear.

This is actually pretty interesting to me: I always thought he was seen as the bad boy partier loverboy with a penchant for pretty ladies and models. On lifestyle alone, he's hands down probably way less plain than the rest! Lol

Really. Huh. I mean I don't look at any of them in terms of good looking/sex appeal whatever...when I say plain vs not plain Id probably first be thinking more style-wise, fashionable (or not)...and to me, he's always had the best style. Edge and Larry pretty much are jeans and tshirt guys and Bono...well he's pretty plain too when you really check it out he pretty much sticks to a certain look. Adam to me has always been more out there, more stylin' - even if it it's more subtle nowadays, it's still better than alot of what the other band members wear.

This is actually pretty interesting to me: I always thought he was seen as the bad boy partier loverboy with a penchant for pretty ladies and models. On lifestyle alone, he's hands down probably way less plain than the rest! Lol

He's got swag. Uncontrollable swag. :shifty:

hA84DD99D

This album will come out no later than June.... Take it to the bank, call your momma, tell your cat .... The album is coming SOON.

They would not be doing this kind of promotional tour if they weren't convinced the album was nearly done....or already done. Delaying it yet again would make absolutely no sense. I'm still in the camp that says there's at least a decent chance that we will get a surprise release before then, possibly well before then. Wait and see.

Aw, Adams a nice guy. I actually really like at the end of the Invisible video how he's kind of smiling and clapping at the audience. A genuine human being and part of the glue that holds this band together. He's fine looking man as well, and looks more like someone you'd see on the street or in the pub than the other four.

As a bass player, he's purely average, maybe a little above, but does what he needs to do. I'm not going to flower it...based on musical ability alone, you could plug any competent bass player (or drummer for that matter) into U2 and would never know the difference. Sorry. In U2 at the End of the World Bill Flannagan discusses that the band even entertained the idea of ditching Adam. Of course, that would seem unfathomable now.

Of course, Adam and Larry's contributions to U2 are in the intangibles, and I can't pretend to know what goes on in the studio between these four men. U2 certainly isn't U2 without those two, and the dynamic that they bring is something that can't be quantified by sheer musical talent. 30+ years of friendship, how they work together, play off each other, the energy in the studio, the catalyst those relationships are for the creative process, etc. count for quite a bit, and part of what makes U2 special is that four friends are making that music, and I believe it comes through.

As a bass player, he's purely average, maybe a little above, but does what he needs to do. I'm not going to flower it...based on musical ability alone, you could plug any competent bass player (or drummer for that matter) into U2 and would never know the difference. Sorry. In U2 at the End of the World they even entertain the idea of ditching him. Of course, that would seem unfathomable now.

Of course, Adam and Larry's contributions to U2 are in the intangibles, and I can't pretend to know what goes on in the studio between these four men. U2 certainly isn't U2 without those two, and the dynamic that they bring is something that can't be quantified by sheer musical talent. 30+ years of friendship, how they work together, play off each other, the energy in the studio, the catalyst those relationships are for the creative process, etc. count for quite a bit, and part of what makes U2 special is that four friends are making that music, and I believe it comes through.

Right, I mean you could say that about a hundred different people in bands over the years....maybe what they're playing isn't necessarily unplayable by anyone else, but they are the ones who have the gig. Period. And the fact that U2 never replaced Adam, or The Beatles never replaced Ringo, or Pink Floyd never replaced Nick Mason, or Radiohead never replaced Colin Greenwood, or that Bruce Springsteen never replaced Gary Tallent, and on and on, shows that: who is in the band matters far more than who ain't.

Besides, Adam is a tone monster as far as bass goes. I'll take his tone over Flea any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

A genuine human being and part of the glue that holds this band together.

:heart:

In U2 at the End of the World they even entertain the idea of ditching him. Of course, that would seem unfathomable now.

You do realize they were considering calling the entire BAND quits, right? Because Ad' had drinking/drug problems. And those CLEARLY needed addressed more than they needed to be a band. They were willing to give up their career for him. That's love. Pure and simple.

Sorry, Sydney's a sore point for me. :reject:

Look, I don't want to start a war, or a riot, or dredge up a part of Adam's life that ought to remain in the past. But I couldn't just let that slide. Sorry. :reject:

You do realize they were considering calling the entire BAND quits, right? Because Ad' had drinking/drug problems. And those CLEARLY needed addressed more than they needed to be a band. They were willing to give up their career for him. That's love. Pure and simple.

Well, no, actually what they said was that whether Adam stayed in the band "wasn't up to him anymore." No one in U2, to my knowledge, ever considered ditching the entire band at that point just b/c of Adam's problems. At least that what what was reported in Flannagan's book...which I found to be credible and probably the single best book about U2 I've ever read.

No one is denying the friendship and that they wanted to help Adam. But I'd be surprised if the rest of them would have been willing to give up U2 for him. Maybe they said something like that publicly later, I don't know. But apparently that's not what was going on behind the scenes at the time.

Right, I mean you could say that about a hundred different people in bands over the years....maybe what they're playing isn't necessarily unplayable by anyone else, but they are the ones who have the gig. Period. And the fact that U2 never replaced Adam, or The Beatles never replaced Ringo, or Pink Floyd never replaced Nick Mason, or Radiohead never replaced Colin Greenwood, or that Bruce Springsteen never replaced Gary Tallent, and on and on, shows that: who is in the band matters far more than who ain't.

Very well said. I agree with this. As I said, there's definitely a lot to be said for the intangibles, beyond pure musical ability. You put someone else besides Adam, or Larry in those slots, and who knows what happens.

you could plug any competent bass player (or drummer for that matter) into U2 and would never know the difference.
Yeah, because what's a bassist and a drummer? Oh yeah, HALF of U2. And they bring something to the band you can't just replicate by plugging anyone in, sorry. There's chemistry between all the parts of U2. Not just Bono and Edge. Are we even talking about the same band?

Yeah, because what's a bassist and a drummer? Oh yeah, HALF of U2. And they bring something to the band you can't just replicate by plugging anyone in, sorry. There's chemistry between all the parts of U2. Not just Bono and Edge. Are we even talking about the same band?

Ugh. Yes, that's what I just said...re: The chemistry. I even bolded the part about MUSICAL ABILITY ALONE for you. And I said U2 wouldn't be U2 without them.

Which bit is tripping you up? Read my post again, understand it, and try again.

Which bit is tripping you up?
I love how you keep massively editing your posts. Probably that part.

Actually no, this honestly isn't even worth my time but I'll bite this once. The fact that you said first off, that you could plug any bassist or drummer but not notice a difference and now you're saying U2 wouldn't be U2 without them. It's not both so make up your mind.

I love how you keep massively editing your posts. Probably that part.

Actually no, this honestly isn't even worth my time but I'll bite this once. The fact that you said first off, that you could plug any bassist or drummer but not notice a difference and now you're saying U2 wouldn't be U2 without them. It's not both so make up your mind.

Um, no. I said both in the same post. At the same time. Next time, have the patience to read the entire thing.

It certainly can be both. I'm sorry (albeit unsurprised) that you don't understand.

Um, no. I said both in the same post. At the same time. Next time, have the patience to read the entire thing.

It certainly can be both. I'm sorry (albeit unsurprised) that you don't understand.
I'm sorry what? Are you having a tantrum and resorting to insulting me now because you've got nothing else to offer? Oh my.

The fact that you said first off, that you could plug any bassist or drummer but not notice a difference and now you're saying U2 wouldn't be U2 without them. It's not both so make up your mind.

:applaud:

Well said.

Also, I am going to bite as well.

U2 by U2.

After 2 gut wrenching pages, Adam said "And this wasn't sickness, this wasn't personal tragedy, this was self-inflicted. It appeared to be out of my control, which was very scary. Even the fact that 12 hours later I was still kind of shaky and fucked up, that wasn't good." "That gig was filmed but I have never watched it, I don't really want to go there."

And then Larry followed it up with, "We are a band and we need each other. It wasn't going to be possible to continue like this. Some harsh words were spoken."

I will say this much and then I am letting it go. Adam Clayton is an amazing man, a fucking GOD on the bass, and until you have personally sat down with him and heard EXACTLY what happened, shut your mouth. I don't claim to know the whole story, but you know what? I do know that U2 isn't U2 without him. And to be honest? I wouldn't want a world without him in it. EVER.

LOL...I am sorry. I forgot about the personality worship of these guys that goes on here. And that I'm on a U2 fan site and it's probably a bit much to expect any degree of objectivity. It's a rock star...try not to take it so personally.

Never mind I spent an entire paragraph explaining what Adam is important to the band for a host of reasons. And that I said it would be unfathomable to think of U2 without him now. But anyone who thinks he's any more than an above average bass player is strictly a fan boy and needs some perspective.

I do know that U2 isn't U2 without him.

Yes. I said that. Pretty much exactly that.

I wouldn't want a world without him in it. EVER.

Right then...carry on. PLEBA awaits.

I agree with you Nick that they fouls have easily replaced Adam and still gone on... but Larry is actually very important to the band musically, not because he's just thatgood... but actually because his playing is technically incorrect, thus unique and not as easy to duplicate (or so I've been told by people who need to know these things)

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Look, I just offered what I thought was a pretty fair opinion of Adam's role in the band. I never thought people would take it so personally. Crikey.

And as far as I know, PLEBA is where the personality worship goes on here. There's a reason I stay out of there. But yeah, sorry for the crack.

Besides, Adam is a tone monster as far as bass goes. I'll take his tone over Flea any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Technically proficient players - who notably aren't in the most successful acts in the world - abound. You can catch any one of them down at a local open jam on a Friday night. Great players. Amazing. But they aren't in the most successful acts in the world.

It takes special qualities as well as excellent musicianship to remain in a world successful band for 30 years. Adam is special. And he's a damn good musician and most importantly, band mate.

Technically proficient players - who notably aren't in the most successful acts in the world - abound. You can catch any one of them down at a local open jam on a Friday night. Great players. Amazing. But they aren't in the most successful acts in the world.

It takes special qualities as well as excellent musicianship to remain in a world successful band for 30 years. Adam is special. And he's a damn good musician and most importantly, band mate.

Well stated dude....very well stated.
Truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom