ALBUM 13 - DOUBLE LP or NOT ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

'and to help hurry this thread to an end w post #991 ....

it's 5:09 here when I return to this forum oh say in 8-9 hours ....how far into the New Thread will it be....or maaaaaybe people have burned themselves out for the moment or are totally busy on this Sunday with other stuff! :D

Me,neither. :D

It's possile CK meant the #cough# as like when someone is reminding someone(s) while in a f2f convo (at the watercooler, or a bar etc) that - one "has forgotten" something important- as in this case-- NLOTH! :wink:

Here's a part of a link posted back some
< I just waded through these last 25 pgs so no I haven't tracked everything to a "t">

Yes!
And I have posted that my 3 U2 masterpieces are JT/AB/NLOTH a bunch of times.

And more reccently I commented that NLOTH does seems to mix certain elements of JT & AB together. But then synergistically stand out on it's own.

In fact one of the few things they weren't (imo) able to punch as sonically in concert as the album reccording was the sheer shift into sonic "overdrive" from the rising from silence of a nearly single-note flare of the very first note that starts the begining of the Title track before it kicks into the stratosphere!

The NLOTH songs were fantastic live as well.
Only they let themselves or I wonder if McG added fuel to the fire - of going from being very postive, exuberent about it -- to the dispiritedwalk-back from not meeting "sales expections" to the "too esoteric" reccent quote from Bono. :| I for one was disapponited that I didn't hear NLOTH, Breath, UC again. bah
(tho I must say since I hadn't heard :heart: Zooropa :bow: live before - It pretty much compensated the absence of those other

I'm sort of disappointed but i really wouldn't mind the tour (at least for the USA - NE) be put off till 2015 (arenas say in ? March/April '15 after South America) in their later summer period, I believe).

I couild use the time to save more/pay off debt.

And as a visual artist (B&W, color drawing, sculpture, Artist Books, eventually painting again)who's been struggling for a long while with some major aspects of work I'm tryng to renew some, and start new ideas -- it can be very difficult.

And I have learned at times not to be a perfectionist while still striving to enjoy creating the best I can at the time. Tho some perfectionism has it's place. :D

ACrowely... I don't quite get it....
why would you want them to retire when they clearly still get so much from playing live!

SInce I was a serious Springsteen fan before U2 ( just by chronological emergence of the two at the time)... yes I know different since Bruce is willing (along with E St) to do a lot of change up in his various performances that u2 often lag in ......:lol: ...but still!

I beleive they still have the goods even if they maybe should get a bit ort iof their own way...but maybe it weill be fore the best

There's little I can say to those of you who practically "abosolutely" predict the new album is going to be meh to shite. :shnrug: :)

As the beloved Yogi Berra (RIP his wife :( ) has said.....
"it ain't over till it's over."

CMIS I don't know you at all till seeing some posts over the last month or 2 but I hope things...well, I hope you have the strength and support to get what you say will be one of the hardest years of your life.
I'm pretty sure i had wanted to comment on something in that post about U2 but al the time it's taken me to type this out it's very late here ...but that's what I remember at this point.

Nick66 good stuff in your most reccent (and i think the TR quote should help encourage meto keep pluging away in my creatitive life :) post.

And yes I have enjoyed relatively to real reccent music... I just have to remember to listen to the one University Station I can get a very good signal on, as well as a variety in the rock+orther music continium where I can actually here that kind of range!

Thank you so much for saying that dazzled.

It means more than you know, more than you see here.... sorry, just kidding, could seriously not resist.

But it does. Thanks. Its just one of those things that dont matter in the grand scheme and something that I have to deal with. Which is why it would have been awesome to have a new u2 record in my ear. But no matter, they dont owe me an album. I trust the guys although they do lie. If they think they need more time to give us great music, then so be it. I loved nloth and it surprised me. I want that to happen again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Springsteen does record as a faster pace... The E street band doesn't have a vote on the material, nor is he busy campaigning.

Also, his last "studio album" was a bunch of covers and old songs. U2 would get roasted for doing that.

I also hope U2 gain some chutzpah and just release a quick follow-up album containing songs they rejected from Rick Rubin, Chris Thomas, Danger Mouse and anyone else. Let "Songs of Ascent" see at least some light.

Enlist Rubin or Lillywhite and crank out the the most ready material asap at this point. Release SOA or DM mid-tour material as the alleged second record if they're not sure about the fan reaction.

The backlash and dropout of long-term fans they're gonna get if this is real will make Boots and Vertigo presale fiasco seem good.

Neil McCormick recently stated that Coldplay is the band now for him (paraphrasing him significantly). I respect his views. But I have only heard ONE Coldplay song that remotely excited me ("Clocks"). Everything else I hear sounds like U2 or Radiohead. Nothing sounds fresh or original. Why listen to them when I can hear far better from U2 or Radiohead?
I cannot agree more! Coldplay in so many ways tries to copy U2 (and to lesser extend maybe Radiohead indeed). There are so many many parallels between the bands, but originality NO. After ' parachutes' they lost it. I just cannot stand the crying voice of Chris Martin anymore. And then all those (made for stadiums) owoho aaaaahaaaa o o o o etc...

Lastly, U2 - let your creativity shine - not the hits. After all, those who love Pop and NLOTH don't do so because of Discotheque, GOYB or Crazy Tonight. They love those albums almost in spite of those songs.
Completely agree again! They should do nothing else than trying to make good music. They should not think ONE MINUTE about hit potential or things like that. Those thoughts indeed create songs like GOYB or Elevation or Crazy Tonight... And although NLOTH maybe was of limited success in their eyes, many U2 fans and music critics consider it as one of their very best albums (after JT, AB and maybe ATYCLB). Who cares it had few hit potential?

I hope it is these kind of considerations that delayed the album. What would be worse is that they really lost their creativity...

I was 14 when my family did a trip to Greece. I bought a Sony Walkman and U2's Unforgettable Fire. I've been a fan since and seen U2 live 9 times and that has meant travelling because they haven't been to Finland that many times. I love the band. Their music has been a huge part of my life. Recently I've been checking all information I can find about this "upcoming" album #13. Bono's right with the relevancy stuff. U2 is becoming The Stones. I've always defended U2 to my friends using lines like "they're not like Stones who did their last good song in seventies. U2 still puts out quality stuff". Now I'm not sure anymore. I'm as I write listening to Elbow's new album. Beautiful songs! U2 will always be special to me but I think it's time to let go.

Lastly, U2 - let your creativity shine - not the hits. After all, those who love Pop and NLOTH don't do so because of Discotheque, GOYB or Crazy Tonight. They love those albums almost in spite of those songs.

Why the generalization? Discotheque is a great song, and Crazy Tonight is my 3rd favorite from NLOTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom