Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My all time favorite song is MW. My first U2 show? They didn't do it. I had to wait four years to get it. And when I did? Heaven on earth. Mr CK even had the good sense to take my camera and film it for me. And then I lucked out and got it on ALL my 360 shows.

Flipside: Mr CK's always wanted to see Bad. It took him a PopMart show, a Vertigo one, and THREE 360 shows to finally land it in Pittsburgh during the encore.

It's just the luck of the draw with a band like U2 who has nearly four decades of material to pull from. That said, Streets needs to be there every night for the rest of their lives. :heart:

I had to wait until my third and fourth shows to get UTEOTW. Other fans were probably used to hearing it a lot by that point, but I was thrilled.

Interesting. Can someone tell me what they mean by an "inspired" One? At this point, with as many times as they've played these songs, I would imagine the 516th performance of *insert song* can only be so "inspired."

I'd rank the performances of One by tour as follows:
1) Elevation
2) 360
3) ZooTV
4) Popmart
5) Vertigo

To me, the song has only gotten more powerful over time, for the most part. I hope they never drop it. In fact, drop ANYTHING else- Streets, WOWY, SBS- over One. Except maybe Beautiful Day.

:shrug:

One or BD over Streets ?!!

A key point in the 'drop WOWY/One' argument though... a lot of people only go to one show. The people that see multiple ones are usually in the minority, so rotating still only pleases a fraction of the audience. And even if there's a show-to-show rotation, there's still going to be songs that we'd prefer to hear at the "other" show. There's still going to be something to nitpick, regardless.

If you played all the songs that fit that argument you've just filled 95% of your setlist, and made the band irrelevant by only being a greatest hits touring money-minting machine.

I want Kite. That would be one of my setlist dreams coming true.

And I also think that Streets is one of the most powerful live songs of U2. It's amazing!

I'd like RTSS back as well, and Drowning Man. And A Sort of Homecoming. And some of the songs of "medium, rare and remastered". :sexywink:

Bring back something like this for the casual audience! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPTfjfjBukA

I remember watching this live, and right then and there I got the sinking feeling that something wasn't quite right about this whole thing. It was half cooked and too cute by half, and this performance and tour announcement reflected that.

Still, loving those very 90s swish pan camera "moves." Such urgency! Lol.

Wait. I also saw her Instagram profile better. Remember: sex sells, even if it's scummy :D

3962111c82ca11e3aaf40a5186b325f0_8.jpg

destiny_austin said:
Got my #U2 t-shirt from the #topsecret #musicvideo #commercial I did with #Bono

If you played all the songs that fit that argument you've just filled 95% of your setlist, and made the band irrelevant by only being a greatest hits touring money-minting machine.

I never said that. WOWY and One are two songs in, what, a 20+ song set list? Almost 10% of a set list is hardly amounting to a 'greatest hits' band. As it is, only about 11 of the songs they played on 360 were at most of the shows anyway (and 3 of those were new ones). Plus, the band usually plays 6-7 new songs starting out on a tour. If they had the benefit of playing the 2010 shows as planned, then chances are a lot of the NLOTH could've survived a bit longer. It's hardly a 'greatest hits' contingent yet.

If making money is a concern, then maybe this isn't the right band for some people (considering the usual tour grosses). They're not going to be playing different ambient pieces every night at places like First Avenue or the 9:30 Club just to please a small amount of people.

Is this the same broad who mentioned slapping Bono's ass?? I really hope they don't embarrass themselves. He's old enough to be her father.

Sent from my VS980 4G using U2 Interference mobile app

i cannot wait - always love a good laugh (whether it's with them or AT them) :D

(hopefully it can't be any worse than the models in boots last time round)

The band should make MOS the new One from here on out. One needs a break bad from their live set. The band seems really proud of MOS and I can see them still playing it.

The problem is that "One" is lyrically brilliant whatever the perspective is, and "Moment Of Surrender", not only is less multidimensional, as it has some awkward lines like "punching numbers in ATM machines" or "precious stones in wedding days" (too literal) or "vision"/"visibility" in the same line (which is a sign or poorness in terms of literature).

The problem is that "One" is lyrically brilliant whatever the perspective is, and "Moment Of Surrender", not only is less multidimensional, as it has some awkward lines like "punching numbers in ATM machines" or "precious stones in wedding days" (too literal) or "vision"/"visibility" in the same line (which is a sign or poorness in terms of literature).

Vision over visibility may be one of my favorite lyrics ever (not just by Bono). I'm not sure how using them in the same line is a "sign of poorness in terms of literature". The two words mean different things, and the choice of one over the other is a powerful statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom