Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my take after many ketel 1's and a blissful night sleep:

1>. While I HATE the fact U2 is partnering with BoA, in the end it doesn't change my excitement over new music... OL is starting to grow on me a little bit more and "hey at least it isn't Boots".

2>. I think I have come to the realization that when it comes to this bands old ideals about who they align themselves with is obviously gone kinda saddens me. I think the late '80's early '90's Bono would wanna kick the shit out of today's Bono.... I've been a very vocal opponent at times against Bono on here, the celebrity that created his philanthropy was his music and to be honest I don't believe his heart isn't isn't in the music anymore, it's dealing and hob knobbing with world and corporate leaders. Which if that what he wants to do okay but don't say that "they are lost in the music" or "he's gonna serve these men" in the studio. Didn't/wasn't ever gonna happen.

3>. I still have a sliver of hope that an album will be forthcoming in April but to be honest June prolly more likely, while these releases OL and Invisible will get them into the consciousness of the public and even Fallon's show will keep them there for awhile - they might be cautioned that if there's a few months of no album and no tour dates presented they once again will be lost in a bunch of other releases and with the public's small span of attention they could lose the momentum that they seem to starting.

Not to knock any particular opinion about the Bono of today vs the Bono we (think we) remember of yesteryear..

I don`t know about anyone else but there are a few big headed noble ideals and "I won't"s and "Hell no"s that I had 20+/- years ago that I would probably think a bit differently about today. When you're young and idealistic you think you know how the world works and generally pump your fist in moral outrage at whatever cause you emotionally latch on to. That's not to say that there aren't informed young people, there certainly are, and in principle the causes we fought for when we were young were indeed noble and worthy. But some of the ways we went about fighting for them..maybe could have used a bit more perspective and maturity - been a bit less polarizing and more bi-partisan, maybe - and possibly gotten better results. To be honest I don't think Bono has gotten any less idealistic, in fact I'd almost say he's even more, because back in the 80s he likely felt that the most he could do was rant and rave a bit and take a few relief trips with Ali once in a while, whereas now he actually believes he has the clout to really move mountains (the big players) and effect real measurable change. And for the most part, he's probably right. He does have the clout. So nowadays standing on the soapbox and scoring moral outrage points with fans while only getting small results, well that's probably not really all that satisfying to his idealism anymore. His goals are way bigger now. And I don't know if that's such a bad thing, really.

There's probably a better/more eloquent way to express a similar sentiment. Go nuts.

what if it snows Friday to Monday? will the whole thing be cancelled? :D

Not to knock any particular opinion about the Bono of today vs the Bono we (think we) remember of yesteryear..

I don`t know about anyone else but there are a few big headed noble ideals and "I won't"s and "Hell no"s that I had 20+/- years ago that I would probably think a bit differently about today. When you're young and idealistic you think you know how the world works and generally pump your fist in moral outrage at whatever cause you emotionally latch on to. That's not to say that there aren't informed young people, there certainly are, and in principle the causes we fought for when we were young were indeed noble and worthy. But some of the ways we went about fighting for them..maybe could have used a bit more perspective and maturity and possibly gotten better results. To be honest I don't think Bono has gotten any less idealistic, in fact I'd almost say he's even more, because back in the 80s he likely felt that the most he could do was rant and rave a bit and take a few relief trips with Ali once in a while, whereas now he actually believes he has the clout to really move mountains (the big players) and effect real measurable change. And for the most part, he's probably right. He does have the clout. So nowadays standing on the soapbox and scoring moral outrage points with fans while only getting small results, well that's probably not really all that satisfying to his idealism anymore. His goals are way bigger now. And I don't know if that's such a bad thing, really.

There's probably a better/more eloquent way to express a similar sentiment. Go nuts.

i can't get my head around some of his methods, but i believe in the guy (but still think he's a bit crazy, fearless or something :lol: ) :heart:

it would be an Act of God "NO, thou shall not cosy up with money-lenders" :lol:

I agree with Mark Rosenman's assessment that RED is used by corporations for marketing/tax deduction/helping out their image/whatever reasons, but I honestly believe that Bono is using this knowledge to his advantage. He has no stake in BOA or Apple, he is trying to make a difference in Africa. And if he can get these corporations to help out, that's great. It should be a win-win for everyone.

I agree :up:

what if it snows Friday to Monday? will the whole thing be cancelled? :D

Yes, the single and album release will be postponed or even cancelled because of the weather.

i can't get my head around some of his methods, but i believe in the guy (but still think he's a bit crazy :lol: ) :heart:

He sure is, but without some "crazy" people, the world would have come to a standstill long ago.

Watching the Davos live stream while working today (well, mostly listening to it, actually) showed, once again, that Bono has unique inside-knowledge of the things he's involved in, he has the connections and he is a great networker, also, highly respected by the people he's working with, by people on different sides. I think that, to him and for him, is much more important than some U2 fans fearing for the band's image or whining about how they want the "old" Bono back or anything. He has the maturity and the factual arguments and also the realistic perspective you have to have if you're dealing with global issues on a global political stage. Note: I often don't agree with decisions he or the band are making and I often have a hard time dealing with certain issues, even though I try hard to understand where he's coming from, but basically I'm very impressed with the things he's doing and how he's doing them. Must be a hell of a life to live with all these different things going on.

I'm confident Invisible is going to be huge

so much comes down to this one song..

the perception people will have about this ad and the partnership.

the perception people will have about U2 relevance in 2014.

the perception we will have about the new album.

the potential to bring the casual fan back into the fold.

the potential to win over skeptics. (long shot)

nutso

so much comes down to this one song..

the perception people will have about this ad and the partnership.

the perception people will have about U2 relevance in 2014.

the perception we will have about the new album.

the potential to bring the casual fan back into the fold.

the potential to win over skeptics. (long shot)

nutso

not toooo much pressure then! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom