Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather like Boots. Looking back, the Grammy performance wasn't that bad (Bono's voice and Larry's drumming especially sound great). That being said, if I were a non-U2 fan in that audience (or watching this on TV), I would be absolutely groaning.

Oh wow. Somehow, I completely missed this. I just watched it and literally cringed. I don't have Boots to the extent that many here do (it's not that bad of a song actually), but this performance is just bad. And putting those awful lyrics up on a big screen...whose genius idea was that?

NLOTH was a confused album. That's my best way of describing it. If you listen to the whole thing, it has the sound of a band that originally wanted to make a deep and atmospheric album and then suddenly panicked and wanted hits. Actually, this album may be the best representation of a recording process that I've ever heard.

I think that's pretty much the best description of NLOTH I've read sofar. :up:

I was just remembering the whole NLOTH release saga, the Grammy performance, the leak puns, and whatnot, and I realized that I was fifteen years old when that album came out. I made the post that I linked to when I was fifteen. NLOTH came a quarter of my life ago. That seems impossible.

I visited Dublin and the rest of Ireland, saw many U2 sites like Windmill Lane Studios and Bono's house in June 1992, not too long after you were conceived. I then met the entire band in the United States in August of 1992 on the outside broadcast part of the ZOO TV tour, seven months before your birth.

Not sure if this goes here;

I saw Garth Brooks is playing 2 shows at Dublin Croke Park on July 25-26. If they sell out quickly, he'll probably add more.

Does this mean U2 won't be able to play there? I thought there was some sort of allotment for allowed concerts there per year? Just thought you Irish fans might like to know in case there's some sort of issue with stadium availability this summer.

Never heard of that. One Direction also has 3 shows in May. As long as its not being used for some event, reserved for some event, I would assume its open for use, provided you pay up.

I was 10 during the height of Zoo TV. :reject:

I was 4 when I first saw the Streets video and thought Adam was "a goofy guy with sunglasses". :cute:

I should have known. He stole my heart then.

I-regret-nothing-chicken.gif

I was just remembering the whole NLOTH release saga, the Grammy performance, the leak puns, and whatnot, and I realized that I was fifteen years old when that album came out. I made the post that I linked to when I was fifteen. NLOTH came a quarter of my life ago. That seems impossible.

Damn. Id already been to war and back by the time you were egged. Music hasn't been quite the same since you became self-aware, mainstream music that is. Still lots of great stuff out there on the indie and alternative outlets. Welcome to the world.

Oh wow. Somehow, I completely missed this. I just watched it and literally cringed. I don't have Boots to the extent that many here do (it's not that bad of a song actually), but this performance is just bad. And putting those awful lyrics up on a big screen...whose genius idea was that?

......(it's not that bad of a song actually).....

Congrats you're post was almost 100% correct :applaud:Except for the quoted part.

I actually like Boots and if it wasn't sandwiched by two horrible songs and had been chosen as the first single, it may have even worked on the album.

heh i clicked on the link and managed a whole 3 seconds :lol:

Boots live on the 360 Tour was generally pretty good. Having said that, it was a terrible choice for "1st single" and as far as them playing it live I doubt we ever hear it again.

I think the song is creative but clunky, and that Grammy performance is about the same -- I'd say Bono was pretty great, owning it. It's too bad that it just isn't the right song for the time. It was a bad choice for a single. Though anyone listening to it can't really say that ideas are U2's problem -- it's having too many ideas and thinking that all ideas are good ones.

Boots live on the 360 Tour was generally pretty good. Having said that, it was a terrible choice for "1st single" and as far as them playing it live I doubt we ever hear it again.

I was thinking the same thing. Which NLOTH songs get played live on this tour? I think they go with Vertigo over Boots. Maybe Magnificent and the remix of Crazy Tonight?

I was thinking the same thing. Which NLOTH songs get played live on this tour? I think they go with Vertigo over Boots. Maybe Magnificent and the remix of Crazy Tonight?

I'm thinking MOS is the only one that survives, and that might be a limited capacity too.

Hopefully MOS, Magnificent, but that's probably about it. And knowing U2, they'd probably have a fit over playing two songs from the previous album that started with the letter 'M", so we might be lucky to get either or.

And ill go crazy if I hear crazy tonight again, they can retire that junk as far as im concerned.

I still maintain to this day that Moment of Surrender was the obvious choice for lead single and was the only one that would have had the effect they intended the album to have. Most bands can't get 7-minute songs played on radio. U2 could have, and had the opportunity with a GOOD 7-minute song.

I still maintain to this day that Moment of Surrender was the obvious choice for lead single and was the only one that would have had the effect they intended the album to have. Most bands can't get 7-minute songs played on radio. U2 could have, and had the opportunity with a GOOD 7-minute song.

Agreed

Magnificent was the song that should have been.

Yeah, the lyrics were a bit much, but that's how U2 -IS-.

I'd like to see it survive to this tour. And the remix of CT would be a good crowd-rouser. (That and my son would LOVE to see it again; it was his favorite part of the show. Keep in mind he's 8....and was 5 when we took him to E Lansing.)

Forget what the best song is for a moment. It's clear that they wanted this album to be viewed as a new sound and a different direction. Moment of Surrender is the only possible single that does this. Magnificent sounds exactly like a typical U2 song (and is boring as shit, but that's just my opinion so it's irrelevant). No Line on the Horizon is closer to this, but it's still more of a straightforward rocker and wouldn't have had the impact that Moment of Surrender would have.

If I'm U2, these are the singles in order:

1. Moment of Surrender
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Breathe

I'm sorry but other than how Bono sings "oh god could not deny her" on the album Moment Of Surrender is a snoozer and it was obvious when people headed to the exit by the masses during the concerts... last song excuse or not.

Forget what the best song is for a moment. It's clear that they wanted this album to be viewed as a new sound and a different direction. Moment of Surrender is the only possible single that does this. Magnificent sounds exactly like a typical U2 song (and is boring as shit, but that's just my opinion so it's irrelevant). No Line on the Horizon is closer to this, but it's still more of a straightforward rocker and wouldn't have had the impact that Moment of Surrender would have.

If I'm U2, these are the singles in order:

1. Moment of Surrender
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Breathe

Breathe was probably my favorite song on the album. I wonder how it would have done as a single. I definitely wouldn't mind hearing it played on the next tour.

I'm sorry but other than how Bono sings "oh god could not deny her" on the album Moment Of Surrender is a snoozer and it was obvious when people headed to the exit by the masses during the concerts... last song excuse or not.

Well there's no accounting for taste.

Clearly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom