Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many great poets are known to have used expressions or verses in different works. The semantics are different and they meaning changes with the context it's used in. Vision over visibility is a concept Bono believes in, it's authentic for him to use this phrase, I don't think it's a sign of "literary poorness". Many fans criticizing his recent lyrical output and praising his 90's songwriting seem to forget or just don't know that he took many great quotes from books and poems and didn't, in fact, come up with these words himself.

Is this the same broad who mentioned slapping Bono's ass?? I really hope they don't embarrass themselves. He's old enough to be her father.

Am I the only one who read that and thought she smacked his ass in passing a few times, not that there was choreographed ass-slapping?

Why is "oh no, they've made a video with Bono getting his ass slapped by a young pretty thing" the default setting here? Does that sound like U2? :lol:

The possible presence of this supermodel girl in the new U2 video does not strike me as a good sign.

On another note, did Dave Fanning ever clear the air on the whole Dark Stares/Invisible snafu last week? I don't want to wade through the previous thread to find out.

Oh noes, a girl in a U2 video!

:panic:

re: Fanning - he called it a "spoof" on his following show, and it sounds like that was all he said about it.

Am I the only one who read that and thought she smacked his ass in passing a few times, not that there was choreographed ass-slapping?

Why is "oh no, they've made a video with Bono getting his ass slapped by a young pretty thing" the default setting here? Does that sound like U2? :lol:

At this point, anything's possible.

Sent from my VS980 4G using U2 Interference mobile app

I have to say I read it as choreographed, like they had to do more than one take.

Would a young aspiring actress be slapping Bono on the ass in passing? Seems like she would be intimidated by someone that famous?

Anyway, different girl, I think.

I have to say I read it as choreographed, like they had to do more than one take.

Would a young aspiring actress be slapping Bono on the ass in passing? Seems like she would be intimidated by someone that famous.

Anyway, different girl, I think.

She apparently didn't care about it being a "secret" project, since she went right out and tweeted about it, so she strikes me as not really giving a shit. :wink:

There was a guy tweeting about being in it as well, so as far as we know, it's just a motley group of extras.

If there is ass-slapping, I'll assume it's done in a goofy, ironic way until I see otherwise. :wink:

Whatever it ends up being, they'll be hard-pressed to make something worse than the Get On Your Boots video.

I heart Bono, and still find him attractive, but him being shirtless and sunglassed in that video .... just a big "Oh, Honey, No" moment.

^ I think this is true - by hearing all of the early versions of the songs and clips from the studio - it was a huge let down when finally getting the album. I think what disappointed me the worst was what the potential the album could have been. It would kinda be a goof to actually hear the early versions of the songs.

It was also to me... Even though I still rate NLOTH higher than ATYCLB, for instance. In my opinion, they panicked, not only because of not having enough "big single/smash hit" material, but also because they had already planned in advance a tour with a huge central-circular stadiums stage and they realized that they had mostly atmospheric, sort of experimental material that could be conceptually cohesive, but didn't fit what a tour like that would demand. And that's when they messed it all and ended up offering a mix of that and 2000's reworked leftovers with awkward lyrics and cliché sonic elements. This is what I believe it may have happened.

But I also always had some kind of big feeling that what the band meant to release under the name Songs Of Ascent was exactly the initial concept. Songs like "Soon" or "Winter" and the description of what was coming up fits in it.
And it's annoying to think that the band could've perfectly release some of that material, not necessarily as a full LP but at least as an EP (like Zooropa was supposed to be, somewhere in late-2010 or early-2011 (specially after the tour's hiatus and Bono's recovery). Releasing some mid-tour material wouldn't "kill" No Line On The Horizon because the biggest volume that the album could sell was already sold. Plus, they could've gone into the industry's trend, and re-release No Line On The Horizon a year after or so, followed with some sort of deluxe version with an extra EP (Songs Of Ascent), based in that material they shelved somewhere in 2009 because they panicked for not having hit material.
...And looking back in time, as we see today, it also wouldn't "hurt" a 2013/2014 LP release, because Songs Of Ascent would already be far in the public's memory (specially because supposedly it wouldn't be a major release).

Another feeling I always had is that in the last quarter of 2008, the album was pretty much finished. So, I think that the album could've been much much bigger, sell much more and have more recognition today, if (1) it was released in late November 2008 with no more excuses and no more cooking, if (2) the singles choices and promotional marketing was different.
First of all, I would've stick with only 10 tracks: Soon; NLOTH1; Magnificent; MOS; Unknown Caller; Breathe; FEZ-BB; Winter; WAS; COL.
Then, a very different, varied and out-of-the-usual singles promotion. For example:
- late October '08, 1st single: "No Line On The Horizon" with a simple video based in the album version and with promo release for radios with NLOTH2. Then, release it as a single, NLOTH1 side one / NLOTH2 side two;
- late November '08 (coinciding with the album's release) 2nd single/double A-side single: "Magnificent" with "Get On Your Boots", the last one, not included on the album but having commercial release as a single (with the video itself), tied with the "first" real single when the album would come out.
- early '09, 3rd single: "Moment Of Surrender" edited for radio release and music video, with "Crazy Tonight" as b-side
- mid '09, 4th single: "Breathe" followed with a live performance as music video and the "For Your Love" early version of "Stand Up Comedy

- mid' 10 / early '11: Re-releasing No Line On The Horizon with an extra EP called Songs Of Ascent with 4 tracks from the Morocco sessions, and releasing one of them as a promotional single, both for the EP and for the NLOTH re-release (eventually "Every Breaking Wave").

- And f**king playing those songs on tour and not switching it for jukebox versions of the same old greatest hits.

I bet that NLOTH would've reach 7M with some subtle changes in the promotional strategy and tracklist.

This is XXI century's U2: scared of themselves, play-safe, always stepping back, always thinking (and rethinking) and cooking too much to the point that "the time is up" or that it's overcooked, and constantly shelving material away or for when it's for convenient.

The girls in the GOYB video were filmed in front of a blue screen and did not interact with the band at all.

I'm not saying there's sex and ass-slapping in the new video, but if U2 places themselves on a stage with a lot of good looking young people--of either gender--it's likely going to look like yet another lame attempt at "relevance" and "hipness." Boo.

My initial reaction to that is: well, of course they'd use a bunch of good-looking young people. Are there any music videos that use a bunch of mediocre-looking middle-aged people rocking out at a show? And if this IS for an ad - well, the same question applies.

Although honestly, at this point I'm ready to forgive a lot as far as them trying for relevancy or whatever-the-fuck. Just give me the damned music, and if I love it, I'll forgive a lot.

I have mixed feelings on deleting songs like "One" from the set list.

A lot of people here, I think, who go to multiple shows on every tour, can tend to get into a bubble on stuff like this. For the majority of people at any given U2 concert, it will be the only show they attend that tour. And for a good number them, it will be their first U2 concert ever. So I can see U2 not wanting to disappoint people who pay very good money and expect to hear songs like One and WOWY. A LOT of people, especially casual fans and first time goers, would leave the stadium or arena very let down if they didn't hear one but instead got, I don't know, LWTSH. (The same argument can be made to a lesser extent on mixing up the set list night to night).

I didn't get "Like A Virgin" and "La Isla Bonita" or "Creep" and "High & Dry" in my first Madonna and Radiohead shows, respectively. And thank God they didn't. There's nothing more annoying that a parade of hits played in a jukebox way.

"One" must stay in the setlists, not because of the casual listeners (f*** them), but because it's one of the band's best songs with a multidimensional interpretation and ways of absorbing it.

I'm not saying there's sex and ass-slapping in the new video, but if U2 places themselves on a stage with a lot of good looking young people--of either gender--it's likely going to look like yet another lame attempt at "relevance" and "hipness." Boo.

remember, they now have Madonna's manager.

madonnahardcandy_450x380.jpg

lots of sexy Bonosex coming our way.

sex sex sex.

sex.

If invisible is in fact the lead single for the album I would agree with Adams statement of something along the lines of "returning to their roots with maturity" from the sound of the hangar clip. With danger mouse producing I would expect a "fly" type of song somewhere. Perhaps second single. I expect this album to be at least be better than NLOTH because to me it's their weakest.

Who's going to take the "Vanilla Ice" spot in the forthcoming U2SEX book?

i hope someone with better Photoshop skills than i is already on this.

after all, this is the Donkey Punch album. makes sense that it will be awash in oral sex and BDSM references that are also about God.

i'm guessing Adam has called dibs on the conical bra.

I never said that. WOWY and One are two songs in, what, a 20+ song set list? Almost 10% of a set list is hardly amounting to a 'greatest hits' band. As it is, only about 11 of the songs they played on 360 were at most of the shows anyway (and 3 of those were new ones). Plus, the band usually plays 6-7 new songs starting out on a tour. If they had the benefit of playing the 2010 shows as planned, then chances are a lot of the NLOTH could've survived a bit longer. It's hardly a 'greatest hits' contingent yet.

If making money is a concern, then maybe this isn't the right band for some people (considering the usual tour grosses). They're not going to be playing different ambient pieces every night at places like First Avenue or the 9:30 Club just to please a small amount of people.

First off I'm not arguing WOWY because they still play it well, I am with people on One being deflated from at least Vertigo on. As for a rotational thing, I never mentioned any other specific tracks.

As to your second paragraph, that's an absurd straw man argument and obviously not what I meant. All I mean is a Vertigo style tour with the variety increased a tad. It doesn't have to be to the same degree as him, but look at what Springsteen does, variety and you don't hear people complaining about Springsteen setlists. Of course the fact that he plays longer than U2 allows for more songs to be included anyway but that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom