Album 13: Are We Gonna Wait Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Coldplay song sounds like some of the more experimental Bon Iver stuff. Digging it at first listen.

I think the speculation has already started on the forum.

Damn Coldplay, why now? :grumpy:

On the upside, given how similar people can accuse U2 and Coldplay of being, the first two songs we've heard from both band's upcoming albums, Invisible and Midnight, suggest that both works will be way too different to compete with each other.

I think HTDAAB and X & Y came out around the same time, and those sounded relatively similar, at least compared to invisible and midnight - the former sounding kraftwerk and punk rock inspired, with the latter being more ambient than anything.

So stylistically at least, it seems the two bands aren't really going to be overlapping their sounds, so maybe that would make them feel better about releasing music at the same time/competing with each other?

It also makes me feel frustrated that after a string of massive hit singles, coldplay feel they can afford to release a weird single like this to the world and not worry about it flopping or being received badly. With U2, they'll wait forever to craft the 'perfect lead single'. Coldplay's release seems more relaxed and carefree, but i guess they've 'earned' it after having such success with paradise etc.

Yes the whole song sounds like it never gets out of the intro. Sounds like soundtrack music for a movie or something, not a radio single.

Agreed. I'm a Coldplay fan but not sure what to make of this song. I would imagine it's this album's Violet Hill, with the real first single being much more radio friendly, but who knows.

Holy fuck wake me up when the song starts already!

If this is what Coldplay is putting out U2 has nothing to worry about. What a load of pretentious bullshit that was!! :lol:

It's definitely not gonna be a massive single, that's for sure! But as i said in my other comment, i think coldplay can afford to release a 'deep cut' off their album to showcase a new direction, rather than only putting their strongest, best lead single out there first (at least, this is what i assume they're doing).

Coldplay are coming off the successes of Viva la Vida and paradise etc, so i think they can have a non-commercial lead single because fans will still think they've 'got the goods', but this way the band gets to say "hey! Look at our fancy new direction!" before they do give the goods. It's probably a good way of turning some heads. Then they'll probably release a more commercial/anthemic single before their next album is out.

U2 on the other hand, haven't had a hit in a while... so i'd guess they'll probably do the opposite, and put out their biggest anthem as their lead single.

Just thinking out loud, but it's interesting to see the differences between these two big bands.

Anyone who thinks Ordinary Love is interesting and that Coldplay song is boring has entered into serious U2 fanboy territory. They are both equally boring, with Ordinary Love only being slightly better because, well, it's U2.

Well I suppose we can add those two to The Light which Bono mentioned to a fan a few weeks ago. Track list could be coming together....

Invisible
The Light
Song for Someone
The Troubles

wasn't The Troubles one of the songs on the rumoured tracklists leaked last summer/fall? not the Manhattan one.. but another

wasn't The Troubles one of the songs on the rumoured tracklists leaked last summer/fall? not the Manhattan one.. but another

MANhatten - boy I miss those discussions - we all were so innocent and unjaded back then....

On the upside, given how similar people can accuse U2 and Coldplay of being, the first two songs we've heard from both band's upcoming albums, Invisible and Midnight, suggest that both works will be way too different to compete with each other.

I think HTDAAB and X & Y came out around the same time, and those sounded relatively similar, at least compared to invisible and midnight - the former sounding kraftwerk and punk rock inspired, with the latter being more ambient than anything.

So stylistically at least, it seems the two bands aren't really going to be overlapping their sounds, so maybe that would make them feel better about releasing music at the same time/competing with each other?

It also makes me feel frustrated that after a string of massive hit singles, coldplay feel they can afford to release a weird single like this to the world and not worry about it flopping or being received badly. With U2, they'll wait forever to craft the 'perfect lead single'. Coldplay's release seems more relaxed and carefree, but i guess they've 'earned' it after having such success with paradise etc.

i just listened to it, and near the ending where the synths come in my OH said "Kraftwerk" and i said "uh oh" :lol:

my first impression was dodgy Clannad - really don't like what he's done with the vocals and think the video is dead naff...

and i actually normally really love Coldplay :lol:

listening now without looking at the video and the song is quite pretty in places - definitely better listening without the video - the video is really off-putting! weird!

Coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay rush rush rush rush rush rush rush Radiohead radiohead radiohead radiohead radiohead battlestar galactica lies lies lies rush radiohead rush rush COLDPLAY COLDPLAY COLDPLAY!!!

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Now we can start with the speculations about how the new Coldplay would delay the new U2's album.

Coldplay - Midnight - YouTube

Is this Coldplay? I'd never guess that...
God knows how much I hate Sissy Martin, as much as I hate Mariah Scary, Lady Gag-reflex, among a few others, and how much I think Coldplay's annoying, pretentious, weak, etc.
But...
Something's wrong with me [grab me please, I'm not really feeling well...] when I liked "Atlas" a lot (that one, yes, should've been Oscar nominated and I enjoy it much more than the "ordinary song") and I liked this "Midnight" even more.
If their new album is in that vein, I promise to give Coldplay another chance.

Based on these two tracks, and on the (also) two tracks U2 have already delivered...
Báh-noe 0 - 1 Sissy Martin
Sorry, Báh-noe.

On the other hand, I'd LOOOOVE to join a group of hipsters, make them listen to this, omitting or lying about the band's name, see their reactions... And then, reveal the name, and watch a wave of suicides...

Hold the fuck up..

Atlas + Midnight >>> Ordinary Love + Invisible?

76743-dumb-and-dumber-laughing-gif-J-VtJD.gif

music-headphone-anger-management-fack-nicholson.gif

Back
Top Bottom