Album 13: Are We Gonna Wait Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps I over reacted in my above post. It's kind of frustrating, but I must remember something... I did just see U2 live, in person, 2.5 years ago (July 26th, 2011 in Pittsburgh). It just feels like everytime we think we have a timeframe in mind, it gets pushed back again and again. Late 2009, mid 2010, late 2010, May 2011, Fall 2012, Fall 2013, April 2014, June 2014... I almost can't remember what it's like to not be anticipating a new U2 album. It's made me and most of this forum mentally ill!!

As far as Coldplay, Viva la Vida was released in June 2008, NLOTH was Feb 2009, so fairly so together. Viva sold a bunch more than U2 did, and had legitimate hit singles from that album. They also had big hits from Mylo Xyloto, especially Para-Para-Paradise... (shudders), but I think that album was seen as a bit of a disappointment. My son was born around the same time MX came out, so while I bought it and listened to it, I wasn't really "into" it, because I was too busy. I could see U2 making a "comeback" into the limelight with this album, and I could also see Coldplay suffering a "Pop" like backlash. Coldplay's career has flourished pretty well since their solid debut in 2000, and they really haven't missed a step so far. I wish them both success: I love U2, and like Coldplay.

The question of sales is probably dependent on the success of the first single. Beautiful Day really carried ATCLB, just as Vertigo carried HTDAAB, but the second singles from those albums did little on the U.S. charts. In contrast, while "Discotheque" hit the top 10 in the U.S., it wasn't a loved song and GOYB went nowhere. The second singles from those respective albums couldn't overcome the negativity of the first single (despite SATS being a Top 40 hit). This all shows the power of the first single. If U2 can create that powerful first single, I anticipate sales to be similar to Coldplay.

I would say Coldplay was as large as they'd ever been during the MX Tour.

In Europe, Australia/NZ, South Africa and South America on the MX Tour they were a legitimate stadium band. They could've probably done stadiums in some of the bigger North American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, Toronto), but they seemed to prefer to do arenas. They played multiple nights in most NA cities they visited. The South American tour was scheduled for March 2013, but then was cancelled before tickets even went on sale, but they were to do stadiums down there as well.

Here's the MX Tour;
Mylo Xyloto Tour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The VLV Tour was a massive tour, played everywhere, and eventually ended with Coldplay doing stadiums in Europe and South America/Mexico. Viva la Vida Tour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't see them crossing the stadium threshold in the US, outside NYC or LA. I think in the US they're as big as any modern band is ever going to be (except for stupid teeny boppers like One Direction).

The question of sales is probably dependent on the success of the first single. Beautiful Day really carried ATCLB, just as Vertigo carried HTDAAB, but the second singles from those albums did little on the U.S. charts. In contrast, while "Discotheque" hit the top 10 in the U.S., it wasn't a loved song and GOYB went nowhere. The second singles from those respective albums couldn't overcome the negativity of the first single (despite SATS being a Top 40 hit). This all shows the power of the first single. If U2 can create that powerful first single, I anticipate sales to be similar to Coldplay.

Hear, hear! Finally a well thought out response in this veritable wasteland of unreasonableness. I salute you, good sir, for you are both a genius and a person who commands respect. So refreshing to finally read a lone voice of sane perspective, indeed! :applaud:

PS - I agree with your post

Perhaps I over reacted in my above post. It's kind of frustrating, but I must remember something... I did just see U2 live, in person, 2.5 years ago (July 26th, 2011 in Pittsburgh). It just feels like everytime we think we have a timeframe in mind, it gets pushed back again and again.

You've been here for a long time. By now you should know the drill. The only thing about U2 that's for sure is that nothing is for sure. Until we have a definite release date of course. :wink:

Good U2 fans keep shit on an even keel and enjoy other pop culture escapism until the next U2 album comes out. :wink:

In Europe, Australia/NZ, South Africa and South America on the MX Tour they were a legitimate stadium band. They could've probably done stadiums in some of the bigger North American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, Toronto), but they seemed to prefer to do arenas. They played multiple nights in most NA cities they visited. The South American tour was scheduled for March 2013, but then was cancelled before tickets even went on sale, but they were to do stadiums down there as well.

Here's the MX Tour;

The VLV Tour was a massive tour, played everywhere, and eventually ended with Coldplay doing stadiums in Europe and South America/Mexico. Viva la Vida Tour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't see them crossing the stadium threshold in the US, outside NYC or LA. I think in the US they're as big as any modern band is ever going to be (except for stupid teeny boppers like One Direction).

those ... MFers... :angry:

First, we were remodeling the Estadio Nacional, and they came to southamerica in (our) Summer 2010 for the VLV Tour, but didn't played here in Chile, because they wanted a stadium, and no other stadium hosted concerts. So they skipped us!! (on a somewhat funny note, they played in Argentina on Feb 26, the night before the earthquake here, and a few friends of mine that went to see them got stucked in Argentina because of the earthquake, the airport and frontier passes were closed)

Then, they announce the MX Tour here, in ANOTHER stadium, NOT Estadio Nacional (that was ready by Sept 2010).
And then they cancel the whole Southamerican Leg, no explanation whatsoever, they were suposed to reschedule, and never did. And the tour finished.

Coldplay = antichileans :angry:

And MUSE is going the same route now :angry:

so... U2 :heart:

Coldplays last album did 5.5-6 million copies worldwide that was with a massive worldwide hit in paradise and other radio hits.Coldplay are also played a lot on younger target radio stations.

Nloth did 4-5 million copies without a radio hit. With a radio hit I think U2 could easily match coldplays sales.

Coldplay's album could sell more then u2's but they would never touch them touring wise.

Coldplays last album did 5.5-6 million copies worldwide that was with a massive worldwide hit in paradise and other radio hits.Coldplay are also played a lot on younger target radio stations.

Nloth did 4-5 million copies without a radio hit. With a radio hit I think U2 could easily match coldplays sales.

Coldplay's album could sell more then u2's but they would never touch them touring wise.

U2 also belongs to a generation who cares about albums. Coldplay belongs to a generation who only cares about singles. There's bias here. U2 will sell more albums (not necessarily more than Coldplay). Coldplay has an advantage with singles. U2 has an advantage with albums.

I thought Coldplay were going to be taking a break, I guess not.

Anyway, I guess all that the last week has shown us is that despite all the rumours and hopes for an album about to drop at a day's notice, it just ain't going to happen and its business as usual.

They're not going to want to lose the momentum and interest that's built up and will continue to do so with the Oscars, but it makes you wonder what they're going to do if the album isn't ready. Presumably the record label will want a proper lead single ready to go for after the Oscars with an album following shortly behind it. Otherwise its all going to just fizzle out again.

Here's the MX Tour;

I wonder what dictates the length of a tour. I mean, look at the difference between Coldplay's VLV (170 gigs in a 2-year tour) and MX (87 gigs in 1 year). I guess the success of an album depends on that by a large percent.

Coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay rush rush rush rush rush rush rush Radiohead radiohead radiohead radiohead radiohead battlestar galactica lies lies lies rush radiohead rush rush COLDPLAY COLDPLAY COLDPLAY!!!

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

No kidding. Sheesh.

Coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay coldplay rush rush rush rush rush rush rush Radiohead radiohead radiohead radiohead radiohead battlestar galactica lies lies lies rush radiohead rush rush COLDPLAY COLDPLAY COLDPLAY!!!

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

If you find U2 in there, share with your friends :wink:

for some reason when I read this post it was in the voice of Carter Pewterschmidt playing The Emperor on Family Guy.

All of u2's albums have been release either in February/March or October/November bar the album Zooropa, which was a summer release. It's still possible that U2 will release an album in April/May or even in the summer. However, I think it's highly unlikely they will tour this year. My educated guess is the album will come out in October/November.

U2 have never released an album later than March AND ALSO started a brand new tour that same year. It's unlikely.

All of u2's albums have been release either in February/March or October/November bar the album Zooropa, which was a summer release. It's still possible that U2 will release an album in April/May or even in the summer. However, I think it's highly unlikely they will tour this year. My educated guess is the album will come out in October/November.

U2 have never released an album later than March AND ALSO started a brand new tour that same year. It's unlikely.

I'm pretty sure they plan to tour this year. Things can change, but I believe that is their plan currently. I had heard the same rumor through their crew. They were told to have their calenders cleared after late spring. I think this shows that the band have indeed pushed things back from their original intention as well. Which seems fairly obvious at this point.

If the new crew rumor of starting in October in Europe is true. My guess is that they planned to start in N. America and just scrapped that leg and now are starting the tour with what was originally the 2nd leg. :shrug: Just a theory based on little. :lol:

My theory:

After their hot and eagerly anticipated performance on the Tonight Show, Bono begins to have doubts regarding the album. After seeing The Roots perform live he thinks to himself..."our album isn't going to work, we have to think things through. We are not relevant like Jimmy or Questlove!". The band scraps everything they have done with producer Brian Burton (aka Danger Mouse) and dig up the tapes from their 2006 session with Rick Rubin. Along with Questlove and The Roots, they will also employ the help of Jay-Z, Kanye, pretty much the entire Def Jam label and have a whole section of the album completely produced by Will.i.am and the Black Eyed Peas.

Of course this won't be released until the year 2017/18 because Bono and The Edge want to firstly work on some new Spiderman material that opens in Las Vegas in 2015.

My theory:

After their hot and eagerly anticipated performance on the Tonight Show, Bono begins to have doubts regarding the album. After seeing The Roots perform live he thinks to himself..."our album isn't going to work, we have to think things through. We are not relevant like Jimmy or Questlove!". The band scraps everything they have done with producer Brian Burton (aka Danger Mouse) and dig up the tapes from their 2006 session with Rick Rubin. Along with Questlove and The Roots, they will also employ the help of Jay-Z, Kanye, pretty much the entire Def Jam label and have a whole section of the album completely produced by Will.i.am and the Black Eyed Peas.

Of course this won't be released until the year 2017/18 because Bono and The Edge want to firstly work on some new Spiderman material that opens in Las Vegas in 2015.

Well, there's a shitstorm over the new album hopes! :up::D

I'm tired of all those delays. The band loses it's credibility. U2 is back in the charts,with two songs hot at the moment, so go on with it. Release the album we've been waiting for since 2010! Give the fans a double album and release a new one in 2015.

Man, what a slow working band is this.:angry:

I'm tired of all those delays. The band loses it's credibility.

Yeah! How dare the band not release the record they never announced on the date they never announced it for!

Or perhaps the only people who really have lost credibiltiy throughout this whole fiasco are the "fans" who promised things about this record that the band never did. :shrug:

Their success has contributed to their slowness in studio.

They don't have to worry about costs. Only concern would be a popmart mistake of booking tour before album is finished. Tho that would force them to hurry up.

Not doubting their desire to make music, but they have no restrictions on time and that can be both a blessing and curse.

The album is completed...:ohmy:

I mean what a case of misdirection and smoke and mirrors coming out of their mouths lately....:doh:

Edge, in Rolling Stone, says "we have 6 or 7 songs ready"...and then this little (untrue) tidbit is laid upon us: "The Edge gets up to leave. The band is flying back to Dublin right away – they have an album to finish."

How's the weather in Dubl...Oh wait you're still in the States...:hmm:...but wait you have an album to finish in Ireland...right...:scratch:

My theory:

The jokes are funny on some days more than others. This day, not so much.

The album is completed...:ohmy:

I mean what a case of misdirection and smoke and mirrors coming out of their mouths lately....:doh:

Edge, in Rolling Stone, says "we have 6 or 7 songs ready"...and then this little (untrue) tidbit is laid upon us: "The Edge gets up to leave. The band is flying back to Dublin right away – they have an album to finish."

How's the weather in Dubl...Oh wait you're still in the States...:hmm:...but wait you have an album to finish in Ireland...right...:scratch:

Wait, we have information that the band are in the US? I thought that they left for Dublin right after Fallon.

Back
Top Bottom