Album 13: Are We Gonna Wait Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clever thread title. ;)

I don't think U2 will make us wait forever. A surprise release is still a possibility, and in the current climate these Irish lads could Spring it on us at any time.

Nick, wth? You're on fire today!!! You should pass some of that brimestone to Edge?

No, you're wrong - clearly the album title is Kimberlite Bulk Sample.

The first single, which is upcoming, is called Quebec Drilling.

:wink:

The lack of information gets a little more annoying everyday. Now we're hearing the tour won't begin until October??? WTF???? They're certainly in no big hurry to finish the album. Flying all over the world, playing on talk shows with no real product to promote, and appearing at a bunch of film award shows. Seriously ridiculous! Maybe the european tour begins in the UK in October, and the US tour will be in the summer? Hopefully shit will go into motion after U2 wins an Oscar. That'd be great promotion. New single 1st half of March, album following mid-late April, tour beginning summer in the US, UK in the fall. With all the promo stuff they've been doing, that would make the most sense.

I know people have criticized me for this point of view, but I really don't think U2 would release their new album a month on either side of Coldplay's. A few months ago, the rumor was that Coldplay was going to release their album this spring, but pushed it back to avoid competition with U2. If Coldplay's single is being released in May, that puts at album at around July. So... maybe U2 will release in April/May??? God I hope so, but this lack of information is annoying.

Are they just being coy until after the Oscars, so as not to be double promoting themselves, in a sense?

While I like a few songs, I can't say I'm a big fan of Coldplay, and while I know they have been hugely successful and to a certain extent have modelled their career after U2, I'm not sure what the sales have been for their past few records.

My point being...and maybe some of the people who know Coldplay can answer this...is there a serious chance that, were Coldplay and U2's records released relatively closely to each other, that Coldplay could outsell U2? Obviously I know that the quality of the respective records is a pretty big factor in this...but in general, is it likely, or possible?

If that's really the case (and again, don't know that it is), then I could see U2 not wanting that story out there, as sensitive as they appear to be about such things. I personally think it's silly for them to worry about that, but I'm not in U2. I've read people here being dismissive of the idea that U2 would do this, but considering their seeming insecurity and skittishness about this material, nothing would surprise me at this point (though at the same time, that looked like a VERY confident band on Fallon).

While I like a few songs, I can't say I'm a big fan of Coldplay, and while I know they have been hugely successful and to a certain extent have modelled their career after U2, I'm not sure what the sales have been for their past few records.

My point being...and maybe some of the people who know Coldplay can answer this...is there a serious chance that, were Coldplay and U2's records released relatively closely to each other, that Coldplay could outsell U2? Obviously I know that the quality of the respective records is a pretty big factor in this...but in general, is it likely, or possible?

If that's really the case (and again, don't know that it is), then I could see U2 not wanting that story out there, as sensitive as they appear to be about such things. I personally think it's silly for them to worry about that, but I'm not in U2. I've read people here being dismissive of the idea that U2 would do this, but considering their seeming insecurity and skittishness about this material, nothing would surprise me at this point (though at the same time, that looked like a VERY confident band on Fallon).

Maybe coldplay would outsell U2. They have a lot of the younger fans in their pockets. If I could digress into my own situation for a bit, living in Bangladesh (a third world country for those who have never heard of this delta south east of India) sort of gives you a very saturated viewpoint. While I would consider myself and my friends some of the few who sample different kinds of music and then settle on favourites, only the mainstream of the mainstream get through to the Bangladeshi mainstream, especially as far as rock music goes. Many here have not heard of The Killers, Kings of Leon or Arcade Fire but most of a certain income group (sorry, but that still applies here :huh:) have heard, say, rihanna or lady gaga (belch). Also Coldplay. They might be U2 lite but from where I am standing they are currently the biggest band in the world. I mean Viva La Vida was huge here. And I am guessing (and this is just guessing) that sort of popularity trickles down from huge popularity in first-world markets. I remember U2 being huge in Bangladesh in the early 90s (lemon, surprisingly, really caught on) and then again after ATYCLB, but after that not so much. So if that counts for anything U2 may be worried about a Coldplay release if that's the sort of thing they worry about.

Someone should go write a gigantic document recapping every "new album" thread since NLOTH

bono-south-park-turd.jpg

Voila!

Maybe coldplay would outsell U2. They have a lot of the younger fans in their pockets. If I could digress into my own situation for a bit, living in Bangladesh (a third world country for those who have never heard of this delta south east of India) sort of gives you a very saturated viewpoint. While I would consider myself and my friends some of the few who sample different kinds of music and then settle on favourites, only the mainstream of the mainstream get through to the Bangladeshi mainstream, especially as far as rock music goes. Many here have not heard of The Killers, Kings of Leon or Arcade Fire but most of a certain income group (sorry, but that still applies here :huh:) have heard, say, rihanna or lady gaga (belch). Also Coldplay. They might be U2 lite but from where I am standing they are currently the biggest band in the world. I mean Viva La Vida was huge here. And I am guessing (and this is just guessing) that sort of popularity trickles down from huge popularity in first-world markets. I remember U2 being huge in Bangladesh in the early 90s (lemon, surprisingly, really caught on) and then again after ATYCLB, but after that not so much. So if that counts for anything U2 may be worried about a Coldplay release if that's the sort of thing they worry about.

:up: Thanks much for this perspective. I was in Nepal last year, and I have a colleague there who said almost the exact same thing to me about popular music...that only the "mainstream of the mainstream" of contemporary Western music really breaks through. He also said U2 is never played on the radio there (and I certainly didn't hear them). But he also pointed out that the music that people are into is what's on the radio and what is hot "now". So to the extent U2 had a huge hit in the rest of the world, I can see them getting airplay there. Of course, none of that is here nor there on whether Coldplay would outsell them in the rest of the world, but it is interesting that in a lot of the world most bands are only as big as their current record.

Anyway, thanks...always a nice surprise to read a reasonably thoughtful comment on here.

The lack of information gets a little more annoying everyday. Now we're hearing the tour won't begin until October??? WTF???? They're certainly in no big hurry to finish the album. Flying all over the world, playing on talk shows with no real product to promote, and appearing at a bunch of film award shows. Seriously ridiculous! Maybe the european tour begins in the UK in October, and the US tour will be in the summer? Hopefully shit will go into motion after U2 wins an Oscar. That'd be great promotion. New single 1st half of March, album following mid-late April, tour beginning summer in the US, UK in the fall. With all the promo stuff they've been doing, that would make the most sense.

I know people have criticized me for this point of view, but I really don't think U2 would release their new album a month on either side of Coldplay's. A few months ago, the rumor was that Coldplay was going to release their album this spring, but pushed it back to avoid competition with U2. If Coldplay's single is being released in May, that puts at album at around July. So... maybe U2 will release in April/May??? God I hope so, but this lack of information is annoying.

Are they just being coy until after the Oscars, so as not to be double promoting themselves, in a sense?

This post was so funny I had to quote it. This is classic Blue Crack right here. :lol:

Why the fuck does U2 need to say anything else? They've been telling the world that they're still working on the album.

No real product? What would you consider Invisible or Ordinary Love? Good. Lord. Even.

U2 has said that the album, more than likely, will be released this Summer. I've heard nothing about a tour yet, though.

You're just gonna have to chill out and wait like the rest of us.

This post was so funny I had to quote it. This is classic Blue Crack right here. :lol:

Why the fuck does U2 need to say anything else? They've been telling the world that they're still working on the album.

No real product? What would you consider Invisible or Ordinary Love? Good. Lord. Even.

U2 has said that the album, more than likely, will be released this Summer. I've heard nothing about a tour yet, though.

You're just gonna have to chill out and wait like the rest of us.

:up:

And the whole world knows they're still working on it, except for Interference...where we've been told for quite sometime now that it's finished.

And until it comes out, I'm sure we'll here more and more complaints about the "delay" to a record they never gave a release date for in the first place.

:up:

And the whole world knows they're still working on it, except for Interference...where we've been told for quite sometime now that it's finished.

And until it comes out, I'm sure we'll here more and more complaints about the "delay" to a record they never gave a release date for in the first place.

Well, we've been told and then we've been untold. :wink:

My guess says that when we get that precious release date, that the album would be done at that point.

Coldplay indeed might outsell U2. However, their popularity is definitely down from where it was in the VLV-era.

Back
Top Bottom