Album 13: Are We Gonna Wait Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

"There's a song that I think will be on this album that's called 'This Is Where You Can Reach Me,' and we as a band went in 1977 to see the Clash and it turned our life upside down," said Bono. "I went home that night, and part of me never came home. The Clash were this extraordinary sight, the most extraordinary sound. It was an audio-visual assault and we were 16, 17 years old.
Another song title!

"That always should have been a dance track," Bono said. "It worked great on the 360 Tour. Some songs turn into something different live, and that’s one of the reasons for the delays on this recent U2 album."
Bono said the band has changed its studio approach and is trying every new song in multiple keys, different tempos and altered arrangements. If "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" was vastly improved by being road-tested, Bono doesn't want that to happen again.
"We're trying to discover the thing you would find out after six months on the road. We want to get those changes in before we release the album."

excellent!

^That's why it's taking so long.

As an example, Bono spoke of the title track for "No Line on the Horizon." a song marked by its relatively vague lyrics, heavily processed rhythmic effects and somber snyths that whir in and out. Bono sings through gritted teeth, cutting right to the front of the adventurous arrangement.

Don't, Bono said, expect the new album to sound like that song.

"The last album, I enjoyed it, but in ways it was quite esoteric," said Bono. "There were a lot of subjects. Writing a song about infinity? It's great that a band like U2 can get away with that, but I remember enough of being a teenager. The reason we joined U2 was to not go too far on the self-indulgent front. We had one foot in punk rock."

As much as I love that song I understand what he means. Much of the audience was quiet when the NLOTH songs were being played.

"I have things I can do as a singer," said Bono. "I have a lot of things I can't do, but I have a few things I can. There's certain notes I can hit, which have an effect on people. Brian Burton is extremely suspicious of those notes. He's looking for melodies that are eternal rather than ones you feel in the moment. That's the most profound impact on us."

This will be interesting to hear.

I don't think Ordinary Love is gonna be on the new album. And I hope Invisible isn't either. Keep them as specialty songs. They served a purpose. Give us other songs just as good, if not better, than those two.

But whadda I know?

Agreed. I know they said Invisible will be on the album, but this thing isn't coming out anytime soon. Things can change. Please keep Invisible off it.

JUST FINISH THE GODDAMN ALBUM AND RELEASE IT FOR GOD'S SAKE, WE CAN'T STAND THIS SLOW TEASE WITH SONG TlTLES ANY LONGER.

JUST FINISH THE GODDAMN ALBUM AND RELEASE IT FOR GOD'S SAKE, WE CAN'T STAND THIS SLOW TEASE WITH SONG TlTLES ANY LONGER.

No after they finish testing all the different keys, tempos for each of the 50 songs, they will test the album in all different song orders. Then they will test word order on all the song titles.

Title of the new album: OCD Sound System

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - YouTube

We've just received 3 songs names in less than 24 hours, it's like a tsunami of emotions in U2's world... :D

It was the quote that said something like "gee, I hope our fans are still out there" that pushed me over the edge.

WE WON'T STILL BE OUT THERE IF YOU DON'T FINISH THE GODDAMNED ALBUM AND RELEASE IT TOOT DE SUITE, FELLAS.

Sorry for the yelling. I'm very passionate about this right now.

It was the quote that said something like "gee, I hope our fans are still out there" that pushed me over the edge.

WE WON'T STILL BE OUT THERE IF YOU DON'T FINISH THE GODDAMNED ALBUM AND RELEASE IT TOOT DE SUITE, FELLAS.

Sorry for the yelling. I'm very passionate about this right now.

Bet ya you'll still buy it if it comes out in 2016

Ten Reasons To Exist

1. Invisible
2. Treason (feat. Dr. Dre)
3. The Light
4. Song For Someone
5. For Your Love
6. Love Is All We Have Left
7. Ordinary Love
8. This Is Where You Can Reach Me
9. The Troubles
10. Mercy

Release date: right now, on the nearest torrent site. Just answer a quick survey and you're in!

Bono: "It feels like whole countries have come and gone since our last album. People have gone to university and left since our last album. It's a long time. I hope our audience is still out there."

Good to see he is acknowledging the wait we've been through!

We seem to be at about the same stage in this album as about Nov 08 with NLOTH.... songs titles starting to leak, band finishing off the songs... But I don't expect any big news until April.

I've kind of stopped being optimistic or pessimistic about this album, as far as ever being released. From the sounds of these interviews, they're gonna really have to hustle it to have it out in June. Fall seems a little more likely. That's the realist in me talking. I don't really have any feelings about it right now. It's annoying, for sure, and it sounds like they have too many options at their disposal. In this age of digital recording, the possibilities are endless. You can literally work up 100 different versions of the same song, easily. It can be sped up, slowed down, chopped up and moved around, change keys, all with the push of a button.

If after 5-5.5 years - and all the mucking around and perfecting - this album is not received well... I have no doubt it will be game over after the tour.
Bono said in the radio interview that they "won't disappoint us", but really, what's he going to say?

There's certain notes I can hit, which have an effect on people. Brian Burton is extremely suspicious of those notes.

i really fecking love that... sounds very exciting... :hyper:

So please ... just get on with your day-2-day life and relax.
Those still claiming there will be a surprise release soon ... let it go!

They will keep on tinkering with this album a few months ... we'll see if this approach is worth the wait

I still don't think we have anything to worry about. This article leaves us exactly where we thought we were. They're tinkering. They're not saying they're starting from scratch or writing new songs.

One of the reasons they're not spending much time in the studio is that a lot of this kind of work can probably be done by Edge on his laptop.

I'm still very confident we'll have the album by June. U2 isn't dumb enough to lose all the momentum they're gaining from the Superbowl, Fallon, The Oscars, etc.

Whenever it's announced I can promise you I will still be surprised.

That's correct :up:

I left all my expectations behind already .. what I kept is my curiosity about where U2 stands in 2014 ... will they catch me again? Are they still the band I used to listen to passionately (in the 90s to be precise .. I love Achtung Baby, Pop and Zooropa .. I kind of like ATYCLB..but cannot connect to their more recent stuff)

Back
Top Bottom