After U2, who´s next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:

They're the next Oasis.

The backlash off of X&Y was huge enough for them to take a long break. (2-3 years I'll say)

? X&Y was received fairly well, the only reason it got any "backlash" at all was because it was coming off of something so hugly popular as A Rush of Blood to the Head.

"Last of the rock stars..."

The two best live performers are Pearl Jam and U2 and they're so very different in style both musically and performance wise...that's what makes Hawaii so compelling.

But U2 puts on a big show as well as doing great renditions of their songs, with Pearl Jam it's only about the music, with a little bit of a light show thrown in just so they can justify putting on their kind of shows in an arena haha.

powerhour24 said:

? X&Y was received fairly well, the only reason it got any "backlash" at all was because it was coming off of something so hugly popular as A Rush of Blood to the Head.

"X&Y" had a similar recepcion to Oasis' 3rd album "Be Here Now". In the first weeks you only say/read excellent reviews - sometimes with 5 stars rating - and claiming it to be a masterpiece. As time started to go by, the hype got colder and many started to say that the album was no big deal and that it was not that special and started to point the bad details in it.

I think Radiohead will get what they might really have wanted in the first place, and that is to be remembered as this generations Pink Floyd.
They have passed into being an elder statesmen now as with Pearl Jam, so I don´t think either one of them will ever take the mantle, or even want it.

Coldplay could. They want it, but I think too much and it shows. The quality of their music is being compromised for that reason.
They seem too needy.

Haven´t heard enough of Snow Patrol or Bloc Party.

Arcade Fire really interests me. But I wonder if they are going to be pulled into a similar genre with Modest Mouse and Wolf Parade (if there is any genre there at all??!)

But, again, I think Muse wants it and is delivering the goods.
Their career is very similar to Radiohead and U2 to a certain degree.

First album-so so (Pablo Honey)
Second album-rocks and is amazing (The Bends)
Third album completes the 3 album cycle and is regarded by many their best (OK Computer and War)
Fourth album-changes directions with new sounds and some experimentation and alienates some die-hard fans (Kid A and UF).

I think their best music hasn´t been made yet.
They are finally getting away from the Radiohead comparisons and molding into their own sound now.

I just don´t understand how they are so small in the USA. Just baffles me.
If they were as big there as Europe, I think there would be no doubt. They would be monsters.

Canadiens1160 said:

Razorlight are a newish UK band. Had a couple of good albums and a recent number 1 single "America" which is brilliant. Their lead singer Johnny Borrell has an ego probably bigger than Bono's :wink: Don't think they're that known outside the UK yet though but they've got the potential.

Muse are taking much time since their first album (and counting on the present industry) to break the worldwide market, US included. This new album is not being any JT or something similar...

If you believe that the industry will allow/support the creation of a new "BIG" band, I'd say that these bands have a legitimate shot at long-term success:

1. Editors
Stadium-ready, epic tunes. Tom Smith is an energetic, charismatic frontman and showman. Their debut album "The Back Room" was fantastic, but even more telling - the 10+ b-sides for the singles were, in many cases, even better than some of the tracks that were included on the album!

2. Doves
I concur with the earlier poster that these guys have a shot. Similar to Coldplay though, their 3rd album wasn't quite a step forward for them, so the jury's still out, but I think "Lost Souls" and "The Last Broadcast" are much stronger than Coldplay's material (or U2's more recent efforts as well).

3. Golden State
So. Cal. band fronted by James Grundler, formerly of The Din Pedals and Paloalto. Grundler sounds like a more masculine Thom Yorke, and is a truly gifted songwriter. Much like one of his influences (The Catherine Wheel), he's in danger of becoming the lost gem due to industry BS. (By the way, it should be noted that Paloalto's 2 albums were both produced by Mr. Rick Rubin, which speaks volumes when you consider how sought-after his services are).

4. The Autumns
Okay, my favorite indie band of all time likely won't ever find mainstream success, but I've got give them a shout-out. Part shoegaze, part dream-pop, but never afraid of the crunchy feedback of swirling guitars, this L.A. band has been cranking out beautiful music since '96.

5. Coldplay
The popular pick (even if you don't like them). While X&Y was slammed by some, it's still a solid effort. I like the chemistry between the four lads (much like U2, eh?), which provides stability for the long haul.

Lovin' this debate, I must say...

Cheers,

J.

j_gyomber said:
If you believe that the industry will allow/support the creation of a new "BIG" band, I'd say that these bands have a legitimate shot at long-term success:

1. Editors
Stadium-ready, epic tunes. Tom Smith is an energetic, charismatic frontman and showman. Their debut album "The Back Room" was fantastic, but even more telling - the 10+ b-sides for the singles were, in many cases, even better than some of the tracks that were included on the album!

2. Doves
I concur with the earlier poster that these guys have a shot. Similar to Coldplay though, their 3rd album wasn't quite a step forward for them, so the jury's still out, but I think "Lost Souls" and "The Last Broadcast" are much stronger than Coldplay's material (or U2's more recent efforts as well).

3. Golden State
So. Cal. band fronted by James Grundler, formerly of The Din Pedals and Paloalto. Grundler sounds like a more masculine Thom Yorke, and is a truly gifted songwriter. Much like one of his influences (The Catherine Wheel), he's in danger of becoming the lost gem due to industry BS. (By the way, it should be noted that Paloalto's 2 albums were both produced by Mr. Rick Rubin, which speaks volumes when you consider how sought-after his services are).

4. The Autumns
Okay, my favorite indie band of all time likely won't ever find mainstream success, but I've got give them a shout-out. Part shoegaze, part dream-pop, but never afraid of the crunchy feedback of swirling guitars, this L.A. band has been cranking out beautiful music since '96.

5. Coldplay
The popular pick (even if you don't like them). While X&Y was slammed by some, it's still a solid effort. I like the chemistry between the four lads (much like U2, eh?), which provides stability for the long haul.

Lovin' this debate, I must say...

Cheers,

J.

:scratch: :eyebrow: Jick?
Is that you, Jick???

Zootlesque said:

Yeah.. as much as I love Radiohead, I agree that they don't have that crowd pleasing quality that a band of U2's stature need. And like somebody here once said, their music is missing the hip shaking/sexy element that say, a song like Mysterious Ways has. :wink:

But their music is far better than U2's for lulling you to sleep on those cold, rainy days. Oh, so snuggly. ;)

kingofsorrow said:
Radiohead and their music is as interesting as watching and listening to my fingernails grow.

Oasis too pompous to be rock stars.

Muse. who?

The killers. who?

Coldplay. a tinsy winsy bit too feminine, even though i like their songs. Chris should give that Yorke fella a few tips on what an "actual" melody sounds like. i mean it's obvious the voices in ole Tommy boy's head is telling him he sounds great, but my bleeding ears say different.

Nirvana. i'm sorry you couldn't handle the fame, but then again you shouldn't have singed the damn record contract. it's not like you had no idea that in something called an "industry", money talks and bullshit walks.

Pearl Jam. same damn ting. you don't want the fame then don't sing the frigging contract. that's like winning the lottery and bitching about paying taxes. although these f**kers put on a damn good show. the ennergy is amazing.

REM. who knows what is going on with these blokes. get to the top then walk away. what next stipe? you win the lottery and
decide to give the money back?

Green Day. okay real punk rockers...........................ah crap what's the use?

in closing no one can ever do what U2 did. you know why? U2 showed all these bleeding heart, "i will never sell-out", "i don't like the invasion of my life", etc, etc, jerk offs that the industry doesn't, cannot and will not change you or your life unless you let it. they are the only one who can put on a show like ZOO TV and POPMART, and not get lost in the gigantic stage sets. the music actually outshined the lights and gigantic screens.
i love them sneaky irish bastards.

:bow: :applaud: :drool: :love:

Brilliant!
20051005-guinness.png

Outstanding post. Agree with every word! :yes:

I'd say it's Coldplay. Unlike Snow Patrol (to this point) and Radiohead, Coldplay's got the Singles power that U2 has. Ultimate, U2's success aside from longevity came from the success of their singles. Big bands live live; and to be big live you need to have more than a handful of known songs. Coldplay, with Yellow, Clocks, In My Place, Fix You and more have this. Like U2, they've shown they're able to change styles, but unlike U2 they haven't really cracked the mainstream conciousness yet. Sure, we know who Coldplay are, but my Mom knows who U2 are. The other thing commonly a band needs to be huge, is a number one single. I don't believe Coldplay have one yet, at least here in the US.

Martin has said that the piano and falsetto are getting old and would be rare on the next album. Lets see if that's the case. If so, they may take the next step.

As to some of the others mentioned:

The Killers would need to drastically change their style. They're way too categorized. It could happen though but too early.

Radiohead.. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Muse. Who? From what people are saying, they sure sound interesting, but never heard of them.

Snow Patrol's a possibility, but it's too early yet for them. According to me, you need at least three albums to be up for consideration.

God help me, but two not being considered but should be are The White Stripes and The Strokes. These are young bands with some power behind them. Personally can't stand either one, but along with The Killers & Snow Patrol they're huge acts; but these two are on the cusp of either falling by the way side or taking a gigantic leap forward. Depends on their next releases.

Oh, and another band to be considered, if they can write a track that gets picked up by the mainstream, is Interpol.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:
I'd say it's Coldplay. Unlike Snow Patrol (to this point) and Radiohead, Coldplay's got the Singles power that U2 has. Ultimate, U2's success aside from longevity came from the success of their singles. Big bands live live; and to be big live you need to have more than a handful of known songs. Coldplay, with Yellow, Clocks, In My Place, Fix You and more have this. Like U2, they've shown they're able to change styles, but unlike U2 they haven't really cracked the mainstream conciousness yet. Sure, we know who Coldplay are, but my Mom knows who U2 are. The other thing commonly a band needs to be huge, is a number one single. I don't believe Coldplay have one yet, at least here in the US.

Martin has said that the piano and falsetto are getting old and would be rare on the next album. Lets see if that's the case. If so, they may take the next step.

As to some of the others mentioned:

The Killers would need to drastically change their style. They're way too categorized. It could happen though but too early.

Radiohead.. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Muse. Who? From what people are saying, they sure sound interesting, but never heard of them.

Snow Patrol's a possibility, but it's too early yet for them. According to me, you need at least three albums to be up for consideration.

God help me, but two not being considered but should be are The White Stripes and The Strokes. These are young bands with some power behind them. Personally can't stand either one, but along with The Killers & Snow Patrol they're huge acts; but these two are on the cusp of either falling by the way side or taking a gigantic leap forward. Depends on their next releases.

Oh, and another band to be considered, if they can write a track that gets picked up by the mainstream, is Interpol.

Go to Muse´s main website and you can listen to all of their albums. I would recommend starting with Origin of Symmetry, moving to Absolution and then BHAR.

I would have written about the same post as you before I got into them.
Muse is like finding Zen in a middle of a hurricane if that makes any sense.

It seems the majority of people on this forum really have something against Radiohead. Strikes me as kind of odd because a lot of their material is U2 inspired. The bulk of OK Computer has U2 guitar flourishes, not to mention anthemic choruses. Hell, Thom Yorke even sounds like Bono on The Bends. Even on their experimental albums, they contain moments of U2ness. For a crowd that absolutely loves U2 and appreciates thoughtful creative melodic music, it totally throws me for a loop that many of you dismiss the band with yawnns and "boooring" as if Radiohead is nothing more than elevator music. Do these people making the criticism even own Radiohead albums, or is it just popular to bash them because of all the hype. I'm usually not one to give in to the hype (cuz most of the time it's undeserved), but Radiohead is one band I can confidently admit deserves the praise.

For the love of God, please don't confuse me with jick!

Oh, and I completely agree that Muse has got the goods. My only concerns about their potential world domination have to do with the fact that they are a bit hard for the mainstream (though I love the metal-like songs!) and that for the uninitiated, Matthew Bellamy's voice can be disconcerting (or downright annoying).

Jeff (not jick!)

I registered a couple of years back to access the forums, but I normally don't post. But in that time spent lurking about, I became painfully aware of the antics of the individual that you're confusing with me. That name is pretty much poison around these parts!

In any event, I hope you check out the bands I mentioned - all of them are fantastic and deserve a larger audience.

Jeff

ozeeko said:
Do these people making the criticism even own Radiohead albums

Probably not. I can't see how you could go through Radiohead's entire catalogue and NOT find something interesting and appealing. Radiohead aren't only about electronic boops and beeps, people. If a U2 fan could listen to Blow Out, Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung, Airbag, Let Down, Climbing Up The Walls, Optimistic, Idioteque, Knives Out and There There, and still have the audacity to brush it all off with 'YAAAAAAAAAAWN,' well then I just don't know.

GibsonGirl said:
If a U2 fan could listen to Blow Out, Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung, Airbag, Let Down, Climbing Up The Walls, Optimistic, Idioteque, Knives Out and There There, and still have the audacity to brush it all off with 'YAAAAAAAAAAWN,' well then I just don't know.

Don't forget Pyramid Song. :drool:

Zootlesque said:

Don't forget Pyramid Song. :drool:

It's brilliant, probably my favourite Radiohead song, but I don't think the average run-of-the-mill U2 fan would appreciate it. It has odd timing! It's not an instantly hummable melody! It doesn't have knees!

Back
Top Bottom