After seeing new clips of Milan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
It doesn't appeal to me anymore, the show looks pretty bland. 'With Or Without You' , "Original Of The Species" don't look great at all, they look normal.

I was expecting 'With Or Without You' to be phenomenal, but it wasn't... and 'Original' is just boring...

I kind of see why they didn't release this show now, the band probably wasn't happy with the footage/performance.

just wait 'til you see it on a big screen and listen through a proper stereo. it's not the crowd. it's the band that seems lazy for some reason. just look at with or without you.

This DVD was to be hyped as the mother of all DVDs, the one to surpass SLANE CASTLE.

But the clips they showed on CBS 60 Minutes must have been the better, more audience involved clips. Somehow, I feel let down by this because it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Bono's voice really wasn't that great during With Or Without You, he struggled on the falsetto, but the Underground shirt is a nice moment. Bono's voice on the 4th leg was much better, in Sao Paulo after kissing the girl he NAILS the falsetto with no problems!

theu2fly said:
This DVD was to be hyped as the mother of all DVDs, the one to surpass SLANE CASTLE.

Blame your fellow fans. That's where all the hype, fervor, hype, petitions, and hype came from. :tsk:

in Sao Paulo after kissing the girl he NAILS the falsetto with no problems!

[insert joke here :wink: ]

I still think it could have been a great dvd. you cannot tell from such a small video size.

Bono mailed it in. Absolutely mailed it in. He looked bored, tired, lazy... awful.

theu2fly said:

Bono's voice on the 4th leg was much better, in Sao Paulo after kissing the girl he NAILS the falsetto with no problems!

I think you have wrong, on the 4th leg his voice was worn and more shaky. He sound much better in now in the 5th leg. Just listen to BD, WTSHNN, Miss Sarajevo, Vertigo, COBL... He sounds much stronger on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg on that song than on the 4th leg.

alanah said:
I enjoy reading this thread. :p

Me too. :corn:

Although I will say this - on the 4th leg of the tour, poor Bono had been singing for how many months? It's little wonder he sounded tired or not as vocally strong. I guess he could resort to his "kermit" voice that he used during the JT/R&H days. Which is better? Kermit voice or airy voice? Hmmm.... :hmm:

personally thought clips looked great

U2fly, why you keeo going back after hyping up things on previous threads?

doctorwho said:

Me too. :corn:

Although I will say this - on the 4th leg of the tour, poor Bono had been singing for how many months? It's little wonder he sounded tired or not as vocally strong. I guess he could resort to his "kermit" voice that he used during the JT/R&H days. Which is better? Kermit voice or airy voice? Hmmm.... :hmm:

Airy voice! :wink: I can't stand the kermit one. When I first put in the Buenos Aires DVD I thought the quality looked fantastic. Then Bono started to sing. :yikes: I thought maybe it was just because I'm a big fan and I'm more critical because some fans here indicated they didnt notice anything. :huh: Well, I showed it to a friend that isnt a U2 fan. Her first comment. "Whats wrong with Bono's voice?" Its to bad, because it was a great show and setlist, the vocals just werent quite there. The 3D Imax thing should be cool, but Bono's voice on it will downgrade it a little.

Just few considerations

1- OOTS sounds worse than the bootlegs , pretty normal , after all it's not like amazon could give a really great preview in terms of sound ........ Anyway Hear it with headphones , may it sound better

2- One reason I wasn't so overwhelmed by OOTS just I thought , Fucking Hamiltons Editing again ...... The Bastard passed all the time on Bono , where the MTF forgot 2 things were special the orchestra and Edge playing guitar , u almost don't see his chords

3- U can't judge it , not before u put it on a dvd and with a Home Theather on

Hamish Hamilton is just not the man to direct U2. Phil Joneau - he can catch the Heart and Soul of U2 (perhaps also Richard Loewenstein - he directed the Lovetown Special from Syndey, Desire and Angel of Harlem). These are the guys Bono should hire.

Hamish sucks - and he always did. If you are filming the best life band in the world the result cannot be so bad at all. But it could have been better - that`s for sure. Even the local team in Buenos Aires did a much better job than Hamilton in Sao Paulo.

perrypickwick said:
Even the local team in Buenos Aires did a much better job than Hamilton in Sao Paulo.

It wasn't him who directed it , Thank God

J_NP said:

It wasn't him who directed it , Thank God

That's not true -

this is from Willis Tour Diary (20.2.06):

"It was a tough day to be honest. The show was being broadcast live to an audience of 40 million people by a local TV station and despite having flown in Hamish Hamilton and Carl Glanville to supervise direction and audio, it was very much a local production."

I like it, I find WOWY very touching. One problem for me is that the crowd wasn't involved too much in the filming. It just isn't delivered well, but the crowd in Milan was said to be fantastic. And Bono's voice is actually better than in South America. I cannot listen to any of the South America concerts because his voice is so bad, I am sorry.

First of all: I WAS on second Milan show on 21st July 2005. :drool:

So, I can give u pretty good description about the show and the things surrounding the concert.

Bono voice: Listening lot 1st leg bootlegs and Chicago dvd, then 2nd leg bootlegs (Amsterdam, Milan, Vienna), and 4th leg South America dvds (Sao Paulo and BA), i must confese that his voice was much cleaner and without Kermit effect on European tour.

He nailed Miss Sarajevo on first appeareance in Amsterdam as the best i have heard.

The crowd: Italian crowd was absolutely fantastic....nobady was sitting from Wake up Children till the last cords of Vertigo...

For the first time i have heard that crowd is singing the Edges piano part in The New Years Day...this was amaizing...listen the Milan bootleg...

There was no slow down moment in the entire concert, everything was so loud, people around me were crying because of happines, jumping and singing the entire concert.

Bono said the first night was rehersal, and tonight we make love...that was happend.

An extra light has added for dvd purpose and this was amaizing too (was in Vienna two weeks ago and the production was a little bit different).

Whole stadium was stage. And the Milano San Siro is such a beautiful arena.

We all know Hamish H. work, so im not happy as well, he is good director, knows how to do the things, but he is not able to catch THE U2 LOVE!

He dont have sense to catch the "moment" and me as massive and long U2 fan, i know for shure what is the moment in WOWY, Streets, NYD or in The Fly. Hamish H. dont.

So...dont ever blame Milan concert and crowd on it, because HH was there to tape the feelings and moment for history.

He said in Chicago FEEL the Love, dont give it her name..., but unfortunatelly he didnt make excellent job (only average)...

Im affraid that in Milan he made mistakes again... :(

------------------------------------

smell the flowers while you can
:wink:

Nice thready, guyz.

I don't think Milan looks any different than Chicago. Chicago is a pretty unspectacular performance - the band is good but not great, Edge fails to nail the Fly and Mysterious Ways solos that are brilliant on other nights. Seems to be the same way with Milan from what we've seen.

The only thing a Milan release would be missing is the pre-scripted midshow cheesyness... Cat Bono et al.

I liked WOWY, but thats just my opinion, and theu2fly, the person who was hyping this dvd on these boards was YOU, just look around, and where the hell did you hear that the band werent happy with the footage, probably from the same place you heard Bono didnt like the Zoo Station opener from Zoo TV

blueskyzg, thanx for your post. That's pretty much how I feel about it as well. Just because Hamid doesn't have the right stuff to capture the real atmosphere of a show on video doesn't mean that the show or the crowd are bad, boring etc. I have always felt that Italian audiences in particular are brilliant. I just wish Milan would have been a proper DVD release and not just "bonus material" for the U2:18 CD. Anyway, I am looking forward to finally seing this on the bigger screen.

theu2fly said:

But the clips they showed on CBS 60 Minutes must have been the better, more audience involved clips. Somehow, I feel let down by this because it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Bono's voice really wasn't that great during With Or Without You, he struggled on the falsetto, but the Underground shirt is a nice moment. Bono's voice on the 4th leg was much better, in Sao Paulo after kissing the girl he NAILS the falsetto with no problems!

If you think Bono was off in Milan, just wait until Buenos Aires, it's a train wreck.

Sao Poalo was killer, best DVD of the tour.

Back
Top Bottom