Adam's comments about Milan dvd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge1987

Acrobat
When a fan spoke to Adam outside abbey road about the Milan dvd did he say that it had been cancelled or just delayed? Do we think the 10 tracks on the dvd plus the second vertigo will be all that we see?

tpsreports2424 said:
Why would someone put 10 songs from a concert on a dvd then make a dvd of the same concert?

That's just horrible marketing

What I heard is that the band wasnt satisfied with the show, Bono's voice can be one of the reason, his voice is off on that show.

Peterrrrr said:

What I heard is that the band wasnt satisfied with the show, Bono's voice can be one of the reason, his voice is off on that show.

I could see that. But then why would they release the Buenos Aires show (which is the current rumor) as Bono's voice is even worse at that one?

Blue Room said:

I could see that. But then why would they release the Buenos Aires show (which is the current rumor) as Bono's voice is even worse at that one?

that was the one they filmed for IMAX, right?

Blue Room said:

But then why would they release the Buenos Aires show (which is the current rumor) as Bono's voice is even worse at that one?

Perhaps that's the reason some people were saying there were cameras at the Aussie shows? I don't really know too much about those rumors, but if they wanted to rerecord some songs for that release that coulda been what they were doing?

They were filming at the Melbourne shows, and they already have 700 hours of footage from the S. American shows, all to be used for the IMAX movie.

that's a shame if they don't release this as it is the one dvd that doesn't make me cringe from an editing perspective. It's shot just as I would want a U2 show to be captured... not overdone at all.

U2girl said:
They were filming at the Melbourne shows, and they already have 700 hours of footage from the S. American shows, all to be used for the IMAX movie.

Did they shoot with IMAX cameras though at Melbourne? I never read that anywhere. I read that Lowenstein (guy that did the Lovetown documentary) filmed using normal production cameras.

I don't know if those were IMAX cameras.
I have read reports in the Melbourne setlist party threads and the Australian U2 forum Lypton Village that they're using the footage for the IMAX movie.

U2girl said:
I don't know if those were IMAX cameras.
I have read reports in the Melbourne setlist party threads and the Australian U2 forum Lypton Village that they're using the footage for the IMAX movie.

It was speculated by fans thats what it was for, not sure I would call those "reports". I never read anything anywhere from anyone official or even 2nd hand word from anyone official what the footage was for exactly.

Wonder if anyone at those shows took any pictures. The IMAX cameras look different. It would be obvious if thats what they were using.

From Lypton Village:

"Villagers were front and centre in the ellipse and spoke to a director of the filming they were shooting that night. He told us that the giant arm which was suspended out over the crowd was filming crowd shots for an upcoming IMAX production. It will screen at every IMAX in the world."

"Melbourne 1 was an amazing show as it was the first time I had been down the front of the ellipse. That’s what a 5.30am start can accomplish. Two back from the rail on Adam’s side was a great position if they didn’t happen to be taping the IMAX special. We spoke with the man in charge of our new friend Lenny the camera arm which had worked on Star Wars 3 and he told us that they were filming shots for the new IMAX film which will be shown in every IMAX theatre around the world. The camera worked its way in and out over the crowd the whole night."

U2girl said:
From Lypton Village:

"Villagers were front and centre in the ellipse and spoke to a director of the filming they were shooting that night. He told us that the giant arm which was suspended out over the crowd was filming crowd shots for an upcoming IMAX production. It will screen at every IMAX in the world."

Interesting, wonder why they brought in Lowenstein to do a supplementary IMAX shooting. Seems odd.

I do wish U2 would just use one show though for their official releases. I hate it when they patch several shows together. Not to mention we will see Bono with long hair one minute, then Bono with a millisecond hair cut the next! :laugh:

I dont expect to see any more shows released from this tour outside of the IMAX one and that one may be shelved as well depending on how they feel.

And from Lila64 who posts here

"My daughter's good friend in Australia has a dad that's a cameraman. Turns out he worked both shows. We heard that the first night he was on a platform over/in the crowd, and night 2 he was filming Larry."

Maybe it will be like Rattle and Hum, half documentary half live-shows. :shrug: I wish they'd just tape 1 show, like with Slane or Sydney.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
And from Lila64 who posts here

"My daughter's good friend in Australia has a dad that's a cameraman. Turns out he worked both shows. We heard that the first night he was on a platform over/in the crowd, and night 2 he was filming Larry."

Maybe it will be like Rattle and Hum, half documentary half live-shows. :shrug: I wish they'd just tape 1 show, like with Slane.

I remember that quote, but it doesnt mention anything about it being for the IMAX production. There is no doubt they filmed the Melbourne shows and I wasnt questioning that. Its just a question of what were they filming them for. I can see it being possibly for the IMAX. I just thought more people would have mentioned that who were there. Like I said the IMAX cameras look different. When they tested the cameras in Mexico alot of those fans pointed it out immediately and took pictures of them. I didnt see much if any of that from Melbourne.

Peterrrrr said:

In contrast to the Chicago DVD Bono's voice is the best ever on the Milan DVD. He sounds wonderfull on Elevation, Sometimes and Miss Sarajevo for example.

Blue Room said:

Interesting, wonder why they brought in Lowenstein to do a supplementary IMAX shooting. Seems odd.

:drool:

were do you get this information that Loewenstein is involved? - I love his work for U2 - that just would be great if he finally did something with U2 again. :up:

perrypickwick said:

:drool:

were do you get this information that Loewenstein is involved? - I love his work for U2 - that just would be great if he finally did something with U2 again. :up:

Bono mentions him specifically and even dedicates a song (AOH or Desire,I think) during one of the recent Aussie shows.

:wave:

i was at melb 1 and spoke to one of the AD's. She explained they were using the camera for crowdshots only as the crowd shots wern't up to scratch in Sth America!

She also said she had watched one of the first rushes of the shoot and said it looks amazing - the bit she watched was LAPOE with Edge on the guitar and she said the smoke comes and and feel slike it is enveloping you, so you feel like you're on stage with the man himself!

HOW COOL!

she was lovely by the way....very friendly.

The camera had a big mirror and the lens was set to film what was on the mirror, also had secondary little cameras next to it - is that an imax camera?

@u2wedge - thanks for the info - that`s great.

@dazzlinggame - I hope you were a good crowd. :wink: A little bit dissapoitning that they could not catch enough shot of the crowd in South America - what I see on Video that was asbolutely awesome -

the 3Cams they use looked like this:

http://www.u2tours.com/displayfan.s...w.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20060226&Rel=Next

http://www.u2tours.com/displayfan.s...w.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20060226&Rel=Next

http://www.u2tours.com/displayfan.s...w.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20060215&Rel=Next

http://www.u2tours.com/displayfan.s...w.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20060212&Rel=Next

http://www.u2tours.com/displayfan.s...w.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20060220&Rel=Next

Back
Top Bottom