Adam's Best Super-Bassy Moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Needle_Chill said:
40!!!!!!!!!! (Even though The Edge is playing it on this tour...)

Actually, the Edge has always played the bass line of "40." I didn't even know this myself until Ewen told me recently! :wink:

A Man And A Woman - great bass line, even got my boyfriend (renowned U2 hater and bass player himself) interested
Gone - no Clayton, no spirit - the new mix proves it
Silver & Gold - simple, concise and solid as a rock

I think Adams playing is generally underrated. His playing is unpredictable, very melodic and always supporting the song. Theres a straight line from the very start untill today, which says alot about his personality, being mature (as bassplayer :) and believing in his abilities as musician. I heard various places of him being the weak spot in U2, but i think thats bullshit!!.. ;-) The great thing about U2 is that they are a band, not individuals needing to promote themselves or show off..

As for bassplaying my favorite album is Achtung baby. All songs are really strong and very groovy playing.

Favorites:
Zoo station
Until the end..
Mystirious ways
In Gods country
Exit
Gloria
With or without you
Please

How about SYCMIOYO. The bassline in the opening verse almost is the song IMO. It completely captures the mood and tone of the song. It's reappearance at the end does it again. To me, this song belongs to Bono and Adam because Adam comes closer than Edge or Larry at tapping into what Bono is on about emotionally here.

gman said:
Suprised no one here has mentioned Two Hearts Beat As One!! As a player masell, I really love playin this

I really like this one too. . . even though on the album version Adam's bass sounds like 4 rubber bands stretched over a cardboard box. I've played bass for about 7 years, but just recently started using a pick, so I've been using a lot of Adam's lines for practice, Two Hearts being one of them.

JOFO said:

actually, the main bassline on the record is a sequenced synthesizer. Adam doesn't play it live either (see popmart mexico video).

however, that is one hell of a MOFO bassline.

As a bass player myself, I've come to appreciate most of Adam's playing, not just the obvious one's like NYD or WOWY. particularly, I really love One Tree Hill, UTEOTW, mysterious ways, stay, IGWSHA, in a little while, and yahweh.

but most of all, I love his TONE. think about that for a minute folks, because no one else in rock has that tone. it's like you get bob marley basslines on a u2 record....what more could you ask for?
I wish more bassists had a tone like adam as opposed to flea.

Yeah, the "main" MOFO part is on the synth, but there is a "real" bassline under there too. You can hear it pretty clearly on the last verse of the album cut (starts at about 3:27). I also like the middle part of the live version where all the synths and drum loops cut out and Adam lays down a nice groove.

Definitely agree on Adam's tone. I used to be into the Flea tone and style, but Adam is definitely where its at.

whole Pop album

he also has great moments in War and How To Dismantle blah blah blah

even the Grace bass line is beautiful

Ultraviolet (Light My Way) is one of my favorites too

well, he was my inspiration to start play bass

He was mine too!

Zoo Station
Vertigo
If God Will Send His Angels
Mysterious Ways
Miracle Drug (Listen to what he does after the first chorus :drool: )
Your Blue Room
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Some Days Better Than Others goes without saying. :wink: And If You Wear That Velvet Dress....:drool:

And the bass "solo" in Man And A Woman. :rockon:

Last edited:
typhoon said:
"In God's Country" has a nice thump. And he does a great job filling in the sound on "Lemon."

And I'm going to say "Lady With the Spinning Head" again, because it rocks.

I agree with Lemon and Lady With the spinning Head. I realised though in the main riff for 'In God's Country' in the second bar the bass riff just stops suddenly where I thought there were more notes...it took me AGES to realise that...I was out walking the streets at 7 in the morning after being awake all night with the Joshua Tree blaring in my headphones and I realised the bass riff stops like that where I always hummed extra notes to myself :| ruined my morning...

I can't stop listening to Do you feel loved because i love the bass on it so much!! :love: :rockon: :applaud:

I'm shocked that no one mentioned Desire but then again I'm not much of a bass-line knower so I'm not sure on it. I just want to add Desire because of the one part that is just pure bass. When I first heard it, I was hooked. Still one of my favorite songs because of that part. :yes:

JOFO said:

tone is the sonic character of an instrument or voice; is it very deep or bassy, or is it thin and trebly, very mid-rangy?
like when you change the settings on your stereo's eq, making it more bottomy or less or whatever.

Listening to the radio today, switching radio stations as I usually do, and kinda seeing if I could compare this.

I just kinda paid attention to different bass lines in songs, for instance, heard "Out of Control" (newer radio station, plays lots of random songs), "Under the Bridge"? by RHCP, "Clocks" by Coldplay, and Bob Marley song, not sure the name of it.

Didn't change the volume, heard these songs at same level.

The Bob Marley song, the bass seemed the most audible, the loudest.

Out of Control 2nd most audible

Under the Bridge.

Clocks.

Hmm think I'm one step closer to knowing, hehe.

I can't believe no one has said "Endless Deep" yet...that's like ALL ADAM. Man, I love that song so much. A great bass driven song.

uh, yeah, Endless Deep is quiet difficult song...

great tune, and I forgot how to play it

for me, a gifted one, not...

i'm kidding, it's difficult play it as is difficult play any other instrument...

bass is a rhythm instrument, I see it as the connection between guitar and drums, it has that jazzy funky vibe, and it's fun. I play it with my fingers (I hate picks) and I find it easy because I love my instrument, obviously I'm not Les Claypool or Victor Wooten, they yes are gifted ones

Difficult? not if you are interested in learn

Sevikins said:

Thank you, I've completely forgotten about that-- definately one of the best bass tunes I've heard. :up:

Yes, not enough U2 fans know about this song, even though it was in the first Best Of B-disc. And I would hope it would be in the itunes package, but I'm not sure.

I've heard before that Adam also did some vocals on that track, but I'm not positive that is true.

Sevikins said:
A bit OT but is playing the bass hard? I want to tinker with it sometime but I'm afraid I have committment issues.

I know the feeling. I've started to learn to play heaps of instruments, only to get bored when I'm not immediatly the best at it.

With bass, however, I find my committment issues don't apply so much. If you love the sound of bass then you'll probably be able to stick at it.

As for difficulty, I don't think bass is as hard as alot of other intruments -- but like most things, I wouldn't call it easy.
The hardest thing for me is trying to stretch my fingers out -- Damn Adam and his bloody big hands! :mad:
(I checked on the HTDAAB book, his fingers are about 1.5cm's longer than mine. The Edge's hands are the same size as mine! :cute: )

Either that or having to start teaching myself all over again once I realised I can't play many songs with only one finger.

Give bass a go! It's fun! :dancing:

theblazer said:

Yes, not enough U2 fans know about this song, even though it was in the first Best Of B-disc. And I would hope it would be in the itunes package, but I'm not sure.

I've heard before that Adam also did some vocals on that track, but I'm not positive that is true.

Adam sings the "where do we go from here" part. (well it's the only vocal aside from the "da-dadda's.")

Listen to the wonderful Adam:

1. Your Blue Room
2. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
3. Grace

Late at night, wine, and candles. And Grace interpreted as a love song instead of a faith song.

I am happy to see Adam getting so much love!!!! :love: He looks so sexy these days!!!:drool:

Back
Top Bottom