Adam wearing big ass headphones on Popmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
so if Adam was fine playing WOWY by ear on the previous 2 tours, why did he need to listen to, presumingly, a click track, to play the song during PopMArt?

the entire band has had in-ear monitors since as early as the unforgettable fire tour, i believe. the headphones were just for show, because of the level of bad ass-ness they brought. hell yes.

I always figured the big ass headphones were part of his costume. :shrug:

Otherwise we'd be saying that he never had breathing problems on previous tours, but needed a facemask for some reason on PopMart...:wink:

I think it was just a part of his costume, just that :adam:

Roger Waters already did that during The Wall Live Performances. The visual effect was terrific, I mean, he did look like an alienated and controlled by someone else lunatic :shocked: like if someone were giving orders to his brain during the show, but I don't think he was actually using something like an earpiece or related.

_NP597_C._S

discothequeLP said:
the entire band has had in-ear monitors since as early as the unforgettable fire tour, i believe. the headphones were just for show, because of the level of bad ass-ness they brought. hell yes.

Adam never had in-ear monitors until the Vertigo Tour. He never felt they were comfortable/good enough until now. So he needed headphones to hear his bass. They were probably oversized for show, but he needed something for the bass-ness. :)

^^ my bad. no in-ear for Adam on JTree, ZooTV, or Popmart, but he does have them on for the Boston DVD:

PDVD_032.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re: Adam wearing big ass headphones on Popmart

ponkine said:
I think it was just a part of his costume, just that :adam:

Roger Waters already did that during The Wall Live Performances. The visual effect was terrific, I mean, he did look like an alienated and controlled by someone else lunatic :shocked: like if someone were giving orders to his brain during the show, but I don't think he was actually using something like an earpiece or related.

Wrong. Roger Waters wore headphones in concert because click tracks were used on the In The Flesh tour (for Animals), the Wall tour, and every subsequent Waters solo tour. The reason why they were so big in the Animals/Wall shows was because that was the extent of the technology at the time. It wasn't to complete a look or anything, it's just the way they were. It's actually kind of funny to look at live shots of Roger Waters between 1977 and the present, because his headphones get smaller with each passing tour. He has been using in-ear monitors for the past few years.

discothequeLP said:
^^ my bad. no in-ear for Adam on JTree, ZooTV, or Popmart, but he does have them on for the Boston DVD:

PDVD_032.jpg

he only had them in for in a little while and desire when he was out on the heart.

:hmm: now that i think about it, this maybe the reason why adam hardly ever moved on stage. he only had wedges for monitoring until vertigo. now he uses in ears, hes free to wonder while still being able to hear the mix

craigp said:

he only had them in for in a little while and desire when he was out on the heart.

:hmm: now that i think about it, this maybe the reason why adam hardly ever moved on stage. he only had wedges for monitoring until vertigo. now he uses in ears, hes free to wonder while still being able to hear the mix

1.Why didnt he just use the in-ears the whole time during the other tours?
2.He still doesnt move around the stage even though that he now had the in-ears..
3.Also why doesnt edge move around the whole stage instead of stay in front of the mic and controllers? Can't Schoo just do that? Maybe it's because School cant do 5 things at once:eyebrow: :wink:

tpsglick2424 said:

1.Why didnt he just use the in-ears the whole time during the other tours?
2.He still doesnt move around the stage even though that he now had the in-ears..
3.Also why doesnt edge move around the whole stage instead of stay in front of the mic and controllers? Can't Schoo just do that? Maybe it's because School cant do 5 things at once:eyebrow: :wink:

1. as popmartijn has already said:
Adam never had in-ear monitors until the Vertigo Tour. He never felt they were comfortable/good enough until now.

2. compare the elevation cardboard cutout adam to the vertigo adam

3. your probably right, dallas maybe good but i dont think hes a miracle worker!!

Re: Re: Re: Adam wearing big ass headphones on Popmart

Canadiens1160 said:

ahhh Charles my helmettttt

Noohhoooooo

image1bk3.gif

I'm the Juggernaut, bitch! I'm gonna f*ck you up!

tpsglick2424 said:

He does, watch every U2 concert video that you have, (if that's only one or 2, you can see plenty of clips on YouTube.) Watch Adam, even when he's in the background. He moves around, sometimes you can catch him bouncing on his heels, ala Edge's Stomp thing, (time keeping technique? :hmm:) Does some swaying back and forth, hehehe dances in the early 80's concerts.

+++++++++++++

Aren't the ones he's wearing for the Boston DVD, more like ear plugs, so as not to ruin his hearing from the decibel level?

in the 80s Adam was all over the goddamn stage! the ones on the Boston DVD were in fact monitors, they had wires coming out of them.

Utoo said:
I always figured the big ass headphones were part of his costume. :shrug:

Otherwise we'd be saying that he never had breathing problems on previous tours, but needed a facemask for some reason on PopMart...:wink:

Actually, he did have breathing problems and he did need the big headphones. All practical. yep.:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Adam wearing big ass headphones on Popmart

GibsonGirl said:

Wrong. Roger Waters wore headphones in concert because click tracks were used on the In The Flesh tour (for Animals), the Wall tour, and every subsequent Waters solo tour. The reason why they were so big in the Animals/Wall shows was because that was the extent of the technology at the time. It wasn't to complete a look or anything, it's just the way they were. It's actually kind of funny to look at live shots of Roger Waters between 1977 and the present, because his headphones get smaller with each passing tour. He has been using in-ear monitors for the past few years.

:eyebrow:

Adam used big assed headphones on the popmart catwalk because the PA sound would be out of sync with the music they were playing. The headphones would eliminate the sound from the PA. Edge and Bono could possibly had more experience or didn't have to worry about having the beat locked into place.

I htink this is mentioned in one of the Popmart technical documentaries - I think the discovery channel one.

I thought that ZOO was the first tour where the band had in-ear monitors? Larry had the headphones on previous tours becuase of the click tracks and syncing with Edge's timed echo units.

I pretty sure I've never seen any 80's tour performer with in-ear monitors.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom