Adam on guitar, Edge on bass on "40"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
I think it's cool they did that. Sure they could've just had Adam play the bass parts live, and Edge do the guitar, but instead they mix it up and switch roles.

Adam plays some interesting stuff on guitar. I've heard some versions from the 80's as well as the current tour, plays like this whirring sound. (can't fully describe it).

Edge looks very comfortable on bass.

Okay, is this wrong, I never knew they switched instruments on the "Under a blood red sky" EP. Is it obvious and I just didn't notice? I've only been a fan 5 years so maybe the more experienced U2 fans knew this early on.

I didn't know until I saw the Red Rocks video a couple years ago.

Your thoughts--

They always switch it when they play it live; rumour has it Adam still doesn't know the bass part.

Actually if you listen closely as one of my musician freinds pointed out. Edge is playing lead with the Bass will Adam is doing something else on guitar.

Adam is just adding sustained notes, adds a dramatic effect. Edge is playing the riff, but I think he does it now just to keep the tradition going. Adam of today could easily wing 40 on bass.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Actually if you listen closely as one of my musician freinds pointed out. Edge is playing lead with the Bass will Adam is doing something else on guitar.

Originally posted by zoopopAdam is just adding sustained notes, adds a dramatic effect. Edge is playing the riff, but I think he does it now just to keep the tradition going

are you guys talking about 40 or under a blood red sky?

they are talking about both, they have switched the instruments from the very first time 40 was performed live

Whoa, I didn't know that :ohmy: . It's just that I've never seen the red rocks gig.

Edge even recorded the bass in the studio. Adam has never played 40 on bass - at least not in any public sense (who knows if he's attempted it during private rehearsals).

i love it too! i think it's so cool that thy switch ;]
let's see bono drum and larry sing. hahah. hey, larry did say he was the best at karaoke

yes indeed edge played the bass on war which sugests he wrote the music for 40. so adam is not on the recording. Interesting sidenote Bono took a while to get the vocal for 40 and adam was the only one who hung around with bono until completion.

U2girl said:
They always switch it when they play it live; rumour has it Adam still doesn't know the bass part.

Im sure its just for the fun of it, there is nothing hard about the bass part.

Someone just did a review of the new DVD in another thread, and griped that on the back of the case, 40 is listed without the proper quotation marks that are found on the War album track listing.

Lo and behold, "40" has the quotation marks here! Am I blind, or do a lot of people type it this way? I was thinking not even U2 used the quotation marks when throwing it on their nightly setlist sheets.

Who cares if its "40" or 40 or '40'?

Yep, the revival of this instrument swap is the coolest banana since sliced bread! Smart draw tactic!

It gets a bit... mundane that Edge takes lead on bass tho. I mean, he does instrumental lead for EVERY other song, so why can't he Adam just have the full spotlight for once? Not that I think anyone in the band was complaining...

I cross my fingers it's on the Chicago DVD!

I've read some reviews saying Edge and Adam were out of their element playing each others parts though.

Another mistake on the dvd playlist is: Running to standstill instead of running to stand still. Whatever...
I love the part edge and adam switch guitars!!

i_love_adam said:
It gets a bit... mundane that Edge takes lead on bass tho. I mean, he does instrumental lead for EVERY other song, so why can't he Adam just have the full spotlight for once?

Clayton probably enjoys the oppurtunity to muck around on stage with the guitar

I was in Bath yesterday collecting for the Poppy appeal:wink:

Sorry nothing to do with this discussion just thought i would mention it to Gareth:p

I was wearing a bowler hat in quite the same way as clockwork orange haha to be truthful i was almost wearing the same as i was for Halloween:D

hmm :hmm: sounds vaguely familiar. Well if you, by any bizarre chance, were passed by some guy in a black hat, chequered shirt, long black coat, that'll be me...a rather unintentional mix of Elevation/Red Rocks/Joshua Tree era Edge now I think about it...! :ohmy: Putting that into text looks so stupid, but my wardrobe is very limited, I have around 5 chequered shirts and that black coat is practically sewed to me...!!

MEANWHILE, ON TOPIC...!!

Im generally easy to spot...I sing quite a lot from What Katie Did 'Shoop, shoop, shoop de lang a lang' to Mysterious Ways:wink:

I don't think i saw you about, it was a very cold day yesterday:(

Oh yes ON TOPIC>>>

Adam is a very good bassist these days and i doubt he would have any trouble with 40's bassline.

In my opinion, The Edge and Adam Clayton should switch around more often! If they ever got stuck for ideas, they should just swap instruments and sit Bono down in front of a piano and experiment! :ohmy:

To LJT/ Satan/ Che/ Fidel

Your life is so much better than mine right now. :|

Depends Will....uni is great fun...you could still make that leap if you wanted....you should e-mail me bro..ok?

i_love_adam said:
Who cares if its "40" or 40 or '40'?

Not me. I just thought it was weird to see it here just after someone complained about it elsewhere. :shrug:

I love that they switch instruments for this song. They should try it again!

As a semi-related aside, the untitled track on REM's Green album was an instrument-swap, featuring Peter Buck on drums (although I think I read it was because Bill Berry couldn't quite get the off-kilter beat right).

But Bill redeemed himself on You Are the Everything, on which he played guitar. Or maybe it was bass? I remember him playing one of the two on the Tourfilm concert video.

LJT said:
Depends Will....uni is great fun...you could still make that leap if you wanted....you should e-mail me bro..ok?

I will Joe, it's just that I want a bowler hat. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom