Adam on back vocals???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizzy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I asked this in another thread, but didn't get any answeres,

Is that Adam singing/saying "I feel numb..." along with Larry and Bono in the new Best Of cd? Does anyone know? :confused: I am so intrigued.

If it is, then that has got to be the only instance where you can hear all their voices in one song.

The consensus seems to be that it is Larry :larry: :)

My question is, is that Bono doing the 'opera' part in THTBA? There are no other credits for that song, so I'm thinking it must be.........:scratch:

bonosloveslave said:
The consensus seems to be that it is Larry :larry: :)

My question is, is that Bono doing the 'opera' part in THTBA? There are no other credits for that song, so I'm thinking it must be.........:scratch:

Yes and yes. :)

Yes, that is Larry. BTW, I don't hear a fourth vocal. I only hear Edge's rap, Bono's falsetto and Larry's chant of "I feel numb" (thankfully mixed much more forward). The only known instance of Adam on vocals is in the outtro of Your Blue Room ("Zooming in, zooming out..."), although I still have a suspicion his vocals are also on Endless Deep.

And in an interview with a Dutch magazine Larry confirmed that it is Bono on the 'opera' part.

C ya!

Marty

Thanks! Yep, the 'fat lady voice' is Bono's, the flat one is Larry's, but I swear I heard another voice (another flat one, might be Larry again, yes) while listening to it with my headphones. This was on the New Mix version and it was more of 'saying' the "I feel numb..." line than singing it.

Last edited:
I hear:

Edge's lead, natch
Bono's falsetto (love the extra parts)
Larry's "I feel numb," much more prominent in this mix
a third voice sort of fuzzed out in the right channel that sounds like the voice in the "Soul Assassins Mix"

Yes, I think that's Adam

I do think that's Adam on the right channel of the new version of "Numb", saying "I feel numb." I've listened to this version several times, and that voice doesn't sound like Bono, Edge or Larry to me.

I love the idea of all four guys' voices being heard on the same song!

Diane

it's the same voice as in the soul assasins mix
it also appears on the zooropa album numb too, it's just really, really quiet... and there's no credit to Adam there
so the Kristie consensus is that it's Larry

I think the only vocals that Adam has done is Endless Deep

"Where do we go from here?"........

and his spoken part on Your Blue Room....

I will have to listen to the disk with headphones...

:confused: Still confused here...Is it Larry or Adam doing the other "I feel numb" part (sounds almost like a cowboy to me :lol: )???

giddyup

wertsie said:
(sounds almost like a cowboy to me :lol: )???

then its larry.

discolarry1.jpg

nevermind. im going to get drunk.
i have no clue why the picture wont appear.

Last edited:
Swan269 said:
I think the only vocals that Adam has done is Endless Deep

"Where do we go from here?"........

and his spoken part on Your Blue Room....

I will have to listen to the disk with headphones...

Adam does back vocals in the remake of Tomorrow (Common Ground Album, 1996) , well more like back talking.

C'mon now, it IS Adam coming out of the right channel. Very monotone, very flat saying "I feel numb". Larry's is sung in the left channel, and Bono's is unmistakeable.

Listen to Adam's vocal in Your Blue Room and then listen to the right channel of the new Numb mix. It's definitely him.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
C'mon now, it IS Adam coming out of the right channel. Very monotone, very flat saying "I feel numb". Larry's is sung in the left channel, and Bono's is unmistakeable.

Listen to Adam's vocal in Your Blue Room and then listen to the right channel of the new Numb mix. It's definitely him.

then why isn't the same vocal credited to him on the zooropa album?
it's also a higher tone of voice than Adam's regular speaking voice... and adam and larry's accents are different, Adam's got a cracked out british/irish/whatever accent and Larry sounds like a damn leprechaun. Listen to the soul assasin's mix, same vocal, much louder... unless it's Adam pitching his voice high and speaking in a different accent, it's Larry.
and that's all I have to say about that, unless someone can't find it on the album version, then I can help out.

Last edited:
The only reason it isn't credited to him on the Zooropa album is because this is a completely different version from the album cut. If you notice on the remix of Gone, Bono's vocals are completely different from the album version.

I'm not privy to the band, but I'm certain that it is Adam in the right channel.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
The only reason it isn't credited to him on the Zooropa album is because this is a completely different version from the album cut. If you notice on the remix of Gone, Bono's vocals are completely different from the album version.

I'm not privy to the band, but I'm certain that it is Adam in the right channel.

Then again, the credits on TBO1990-2000 say that Bono and Larry do the backing vocals. Adam isn't mentioned. These credits include the information about the new mix. So, no Adam on Numb (his voice I mean, he does play bass... I think).

C ya!

Marty

watch the Zoo TV sydney video. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it's Larry who is singing...

I agree that Bono and Larry sing backup on Numb, there is no doubting that. I've known that since it came out in 1993, but what I am saying is that in this new mix of Numb that they have added Adam saying, not singing, 'I Feel Numb'. It's not Larry's vocal, which is clearly audible, but a fourth vocal that I am positive is Adam's. When I listen to the new mix with my headphones, in the right channel, when Larry sings his part you can hear another voice, less audible, that says 'I Feel Numb', and it sounds very much like Adam.

I read the credits on the Best Of CD, and it only credits Bono and Larry, but I swear I hear Adam. I could be completely off my rocker, but I'm convinced!!

OK, that's all I've got left on this thread.........

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I agree that Bono and Larry sing backup on Numb, there is no doubting that. I've known that since it came out in 1993, but what I am saying is that in this new mix of Numb that they have added Adam saying, not singing, 'I Feel Numb'. It's not Larry's vocal, which is clearly audible, but a fourth vocal that I am positive is Adam's. When I listen to the new mix with my headphones, in the right channel, when Larry sings his part you can hear another voice, less audible, that says 'I Feel Numb', and it sounds very much like Adam.

I read the credits on the Best Of CD, and it only credits Bono and Larry, but I swear I hear Adam. I could be completely off my rocker, but I'm convinced!!

Exactly what I meant when I started this thread. The fourth voice was saying, "I feel numb..." almost the same time as Larry sings his part. I just listened to it again this morning. The only dispute is that we aren't sure if it really IS Adam. IMO, it does sound like him, but who knows. :shrug:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

No, they sampled that bit off the Soul Assassins Remix. Whoever's voice that is on the Remix, they sampled that over onto this new version. I'm pretty sure it is not Adam, or they would've given him credit in the album, and Bono would've said something about all 4 members singing different parts at once.

Also, Adam sung backing vocals on the song they did on the Simpsons, his voice can clearly be heard.

All- "The sanitation folks are jolly friendly folks...courteious and easy going"
Edge- "They mop up when yer overflowing!"
Bono- "And tell ya when yer arse is showin!"

Back
Top Bottom