Adam Clayton vs. Flea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The better bassist?

• Adam Clayton...... of U2 (duh!)

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Flea..... of Red Hot Chili Peppers

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • I like both equally!

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
Flea blows adam out of the water in a technical manner... but nobody really knows flea's basslines. Yet i'm willing to bet you could walk down a busy, big city street, and play them the bassline from with or without you, and many people would know it... you could not do the same for any flea bassline. there's something to be said for writing memorable basslines as well as technical ones. That being said, flea is just about the only slap bassist i can put up with, and everyone else should just stop trying to do it. I also bet taht if we put adam and flea in a room, they'd have nothing but praise for their respective styles. Apples and oranges, its the same old story.

Nobody is knocking Adam, or his role with U2. I've been a fan of U2 for years, and I love some of his grooves.

But....

The point is that Flea is a better Bassist.

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
Nobody is knocking Adam, or his role with U2. I've been a fan of U2 for years, and I love some of his grooves.

But....

The point is that Flea is a better Bassist.

I love Adam but c'mon,
it doesn't make me any less of a fan by saying that Flea is a million times better:wink:

Comparing Flea to Adam Clayton is like comaring Keith Moon to Ringo Starr.

One is very talented, the other is solid as a rock.

Uh, except Ringo probably wouldn't fuck up the timing on the intro to a song as much as Adam does on New Years' Day.

Adam's baselines benefit from the fact that they're an important part of a four part group, where one couldn't exist or sound reasonable without the other 3.

Perhaps that's why his baselines are more well-known than Flea's. And I don't know what's with all my friends gushing over the new RHCP album. It's basically a big long playlist of moderately okay tunes instead of an actual album.

Last edited:
bono over robert plant tbh. But jimi over edge.

im sure if adam wanted to and if he was given the freedom to he could produce better bass work than he showing.

flea is a great bass player but i think adam is cooler.

KUEFC09U2 said:
am sure the same goes for "flea" or whatever his name is, and to be honest i had no idea who he was until a i visited this board,

and seriously whats with the stupid nicknames of the people you like? "slash" and "flea" :eyebrow:

yeah and edge, fucking wankers with their stupid nicknames

I guess since this is a U2 board it's no surprise Adam is winning, but there's no doubt Flea is the technically better bassist. Flea is fantastic; I really think he's one of the best bassists out there today in rock music. I don't know if I'd say Adam is one of the best, but he fits the role for U2 perfectly and is an integral part of the U2 sound. His basslines are simple but I adore them. As others have said, they're memorable. In terms of personal preference I'd probably put Adam and Flea side by side, just because I don't listen to a lot of RHCP; I only have two albums. But I really want to get Stadium Arcadium.

Dude you know who is a fucking brilliant bassist, TYE ZAMORA

Axver: I meant to put the third option in as 'Both are equally good'. Sorry! :banghead:

thrillme: This thread is not meant to be insulting to Adam. I like both but think Flea is better. But I was curious about what U2 fans in general thought. Guess I've got my answer now.

GibsonGirl said:

People, listen - you can love U2 and think that there are better bass players out there than Adam. Admitting to something that is so blatantly obvious is not going to make you a bad U2 fan.

Yeah really! It's amazing how some people are so blind in their devotion to U2 that they don't even acknowledge other musicians! :huh:

I still love U2 for the majority of their output and they're still my favorite band but I can admit that they don't have the single greatest ever bassist, guitar player, drummer or singer!

Zootlesque said:
Axver: I meant to put the third option in as 'Both are equally good'. Sorry! :banghead:

thrillme: This thread is not meant to be insulting to Adam. I like both but think Flea is better. But I was curious about what U2 fans in general thought. Guess I've got my answer now.

Yeah really! It's amazing how some people are so blind in their devotion to U2 that they don't even acknowledge other musicians! :huh:

I still love U2 for the majority of their output and they're still my favorite band but I can admit that they don't have the single greatest ever bassist, guitar player, drummer or singer!

very true but i wouldnt change them for the world :drool:

ya this is kinda like comparing jimi to the edge in a sense:uhoh:

i mean come on........Adam is amazing and even though he didn't know how to play in the early day. he still made an amazing sound..but being a bass player myself:wink: i think flee comes up with far technical things:shrug:

They are both so different in terms of styles. Yeah, Flea can probably move his fingers faster and play more complicated thing; however, let's not forget the amazing smooth sound Adam gets out of his bass.
Adam plays bass to be the backbone of U2, while Flea plays the song. That doesn't quiet sound right. I'm not saying adam does play songs. Shit, I don't know how to describe what I think.
Even though I voted for Flea, if I were starting a band I'd want someone more like Adam.

blueyedpoet said:
Adam plays bass to be the backbone of U2, while Flea plays the song. That doesn't quiet sound right. I'm not saying adam does play songs. Shit, I don't know how to describe what I think.

:lol: I know exactly what you're talking about! Adam fills in the background to U2's songs for the most part, which is what bassists normally do. Whereas Flea gets freakin' psychotic with his basslines.. he uses the instrument almost like a lead guitar sometimes. It's got a life of it's own and is an intergral part of most RHCP songs!

Zootlesque said:

I can admit that they don't have the single greatest ever bassist, guitar player, drummer or singer!

Its coz they are like Super Sentai Japanese Heroes :lol: to the ones who dont know what the hell I'm talkin 'bout , are the groups that the americans bought and put that trash PR . Anyway the thing is , separated they are weak , together they are unbeatable :drool: :wink:

Just like this boy

dairenou.jpg

:lmao:

GibsonGirl said:
I cannot believe Adam is winning this poll. :huh: Cannot believe it. I bet half the people who voted for Adam have never heard Flea's playing in Blood Sugar Sex Magik and therefore have no clue whatsoever.

i'll go even farther...i bet half the people who voted for Adam don't know who Flea is, or didn't before they read this thread. but they voted for Adam because they think that makes them a good U2 fan or something :huh:

hey i don't even have much RHCP, but from what i have heard Flea is clearly a better bassist.

But just one thing , sure Adam still didnt show his full potencial , while Flea does all the time . But please people if you hadnt listen yet Pop go , same for a popmart boot , coz Its Adam at his beat so far.

this is hilarious for so many reasons and in so many levels

I vote blank... I love Adam but I know he's not the best and Flea is great and such, but I find him overrated

the rockin edge said:

i'll go even farther...i bet half the people who voted for Adam don't know who Flea is, or didn't before they read this thread. but they voted for Adam because they think that makes them a good U2 fan or something :huh:

Or maybe because they don't like funk music like myself???

I think Flea is the better technical bassist, but that doesn't make me feel the music more than when I listen to a song like With Or Without You.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

Or maybe because they don't like funk music like myself???

I think Flea is the better technical bassist, but that doesn't make me feel the music more than when I listen to a song like With Or Without You.

whether you like funk is not important.

like you said "Flea is the better technical bassist".

question on poll: who is the better bassist?

the poll isn't U2 vs RHCP. it's asking which bassist is better.

the rockin edge said:

whether you like funk is not important.

like you said "Flea is the better technical bassist".

question on poll: who is the better bassist?

the poll isn't U2 vs RHCP. it's asking which bassist is better overall.

But does being better technically make you better overall?!?

Like you said "who is the better bassist"

I would say the one that moves my heart, not the one who can't technically play good.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

I don't quite get the reason though, unless it's morbid curiousity, this thread turned out exactly as I figured it would.

Whether this was or wasn't your intention, doesn't change that this thread does turn to a slagging towards Adam, or his fans, if he gets any votes. The "Blind devotees" tag.

Rather than do a poll, why not just say, I think Flea is a better bassist than Adam, and here's my reasons why..............

A better poll would've been Adam vs. Mike Mills of R.E.M. It's more fair to each both the bassists. If they're tied, cool, if Mike gets more votes, hey good for him, but to put Adam against someone who is more flashy, more 'out there,' it's like putting Edge against Jimmy Hendrix.

I'd feel similar if this was Mike Mills vs. Flea.

Flea vs. Paul McCartney ?

You're putting bassist who play different styles of bass playing to each other. Cliche but apples to oranges.

Adam admits to he's not the best out there, he's just happy to be out there.

Do a Flea vs. Jaco thread at a forum where the members are bassists.

If Flea got any votes over being the better bassist, whoever voted for him would be laughed at, called 'blind Chili Peppers' fans, who should get out more.

You want to know what actual bass players think of Adam (aside from the few who are at this forum)

Read on.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3311

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218553&highlight=Adam+Clayton

At least these discussion are more unbiased. This isn't a U2 site, it's a site specifically for bass players.

Would you do a whose the better bassist, Flea vs. John Entwhistle poll at a RHCP site?

^ :lol:

I voted for Flea, I prefer U2 as a band, but the Chili's bassist is overall better than Adam Clayton...

His basslines are often more complex and generally sound better..

Jack In The Box said:
this is hilarious for so many reasons and in so many levels

I vote blank... I love Adam but I know he's not the best and Flea is great and such, but I find him overrated

The only post I agree with.

thrillme said:

You want to know what actual bass players think of Adam (aside from the few who are at this forum)

Read on.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3311

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218553&highlight=Adam+Clayton

At least these discussion are more unbiased. This isn't a U2 site, it's a site specifically for bass players.

thanks for posting that, I enjoyed reading :up: I was surprised at all the Adam love. There were only a couple "haters." And lots of praise for Pop :D

Back
Top Bottom