Adam Clayton can sing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPrinceNY

War Child
So I was watching the Red Rocks concert and I noticed that Clayton had the mic next to him and was actually singing backup to a song, I dont remember which one.
He didnt sound nearly as good as Edge would had he been singing backup to Bono but I was just wondering why Clayton doesnt do anymore backup singing, all the backup singing is done by the Edge now.

Is there some kinda story behind this?

Adam's sung quite a few times. Endless Deep, Boomerang II, Your Blue Room, Common Ground 1996 Remix of Tomorrow, and maybe some others, and I have video footage of him singing as late as 11 June 1992 on Bullet The Blue Sky. The whole band would sing on Sunday Bloody Sunday in 1983, and I think all four did Two Hearts Beat As One and Out Of Control too. I'm pretty sure Adam did Fire with Edge and Bono but Larry didn't contribute.

I think it would be interesting, since Adam seems to have a lower voice, to have him sing the first verse of With Or Without You like how Edge used to sing the first verse of Seconds.

I dont know if thats such a good idea. Bono's voice is great in WOWU.
Bonos voice obvoiusly is ireplacable by anyone elses voice within the band. The only thing that any other member can do is sing backup to Bono.

DPrinceNY said:
I dont know if thats such a good idea. Bono's voice is great in WOWU.
Bonos voice obvoiusly is ireplacable by anyone elses voice within the band. The only thing that any other member can do is sing backup to Bono.

Unless your name is The Edge, then you can have Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Bono's lower voice isn't as commanding on the song as it used to be. Listen to the difference in his voice on Rattle & Hum and Slane. I think Adam could do the Rattle & Hum version well in his Your Blue Room voice.

Just a completely random thought, of course. I know it will never happen. Just a what if....

the tourist said:
Bono's lower voice isn't as commanding on the song as it used to be. Listen to the difference in his voice on Rattle & Hum and Slane. I think Adam could do the Rattle & Hum version well in his Your Blue Room voice.

I agree, his lower voice isn't as commanding as it once was.

Sue DeNym said:
It could be simply that Adam's deep baritone/bass voice contrasts too strongly with Bono's and Edge's tenor voices. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with the voices of U2...

Larry and Adam should sing a duet!

I have a boot of a JT Tour gig, where Adam takes over the 'Walk Away Walk Away' backing vocal - which is interesting!:wink:

As for a duet on Dirty Old Town - that would be cool, but for me, Bono perfects that wonderfully on his own!:drool:

the soul waits said:
So, that's Adams' voice then, on "your blue room" where it goes "zooming in, zooming out..." ?
Oh :drool:

That's him indeed.

Back
Top Bottom