adam clayton - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2003, 05:56 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 02:51 PM
What the...

It sounds like some people here think that Adam can't play! There have also been other posts where i get the impression that Bono, Edge or Larry can't play.

I won't say anything about Bono, Edge and Larry (maybe on other threads), but we are here talking about Adam:

The bass is the very foundation of a song. If the foundation is bad... the song falls to the ground! Adam is a very good bassplayer. I've read several articles around the net, where Adams style is praised!

The bassline should not be too complicated, but rather simple. That DOES NOT MEAN it's easy and simple to play! There is a big difference!!!

I was sitting and watching the rattle&hum-video once, and friend of my dad was commenting Adam as a bassplayer. He said the the bass was played the way it should be played. He was actually impressed by Adam and what he heard. It's worth mentioning that this friend of my dad IS a bassplayer, but he doesn't listen very much to rock and that kind of music.

Some logic:

Fact:
U2 is one of the best bands in the world

Fact:
The best bands in the world have great musicians in them

Implies:
Adam is a great musician

Old 08-30-2003, 06:05 AM   #42
Refugee

Could not delete this, cause i'm not a premium. What the hell is that? I'll just edit this one, then!

Old 08-30-2003, 06:14 AM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Thank you. Having religion over someone who doesn't does not make a better person. I am an agnostic and feel I am just fine.

Also, getting busted for marijuana doesn't make a person a junkie, Jick. Adam is not perfect, he has had some well-documented rough spots which makes him all the more human in my opinion.

But you know, Jick, your essay against Adam makes your comments in favor of Avril Lavigne all the more entertaining.
Please correct yourself. It was not an "essay AGAINST Adam", it was an "essay ABOUT Adam." It is fact that Adam is the only one caught in a drug bust, the only one the miss a gig and the only non-Christian. And since U2 never had a history of any member missing a gig except Adam, that is where I base my comments that he is the most dispensible because U2 went on and played. If Bono or Edge or Larry missed a gig, I sincerely doubt U2 would continue on.

Cheers,

J
Old 08-30-2003, 06:21 AM   #44
Refugee

Adam is not a bad musician. And the simple basslines are the U2 style so that Bono's dominant vocals and Edge's soaring ringing economical guitars will shine through. If Adam played like Flea, U2 songs would be too "instrumentally crowded" and it won't sound as good. So Adam is actually a victim of his own brilliance, he becomes dispensible because of the simplicity of his lines. But dispensability is relative. None of the U2 members are dispensible per se, but if you absolutely had to let one go, Adam would be the no-brainer answer IF U2 were doing concerts and not recording anymore. But for album puposes and songwriting purposes, Adam (the band's musical conscience) is indispensible. The classic U2 songs have bass intros that get the crowd wild as soon as Adam plays them (New Year's Day, With Or Without You).

Cheers,

J
Old 08-30-2003, 07:02 AM   #45
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Jick you really should consider taking ownership of your comments. The post Hello Angel replied to portrayed Adam in a bad light. The reasons for this you listed, really are invalid in terms of his being an asset or not especuially when you consider, for the sake of debate, U2 would not be U2 without any of the current band members.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:35 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectricalVoice
Could not delete this, cause i'm not a premium. What the hell is that? I'll just edit this one, then!
Premium members cannot delete their posts - only moderators can do so.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:42 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Jick you really should consider taking ownership of your comments. The post Hello Angel replied to portrayed Adam in a bad light. The reasons for this you listed, really are invalid in terms of his being an asset or not especuially when you consider, for the sake of debate, U2 would not be U2 without any of the current band members.

Thank you, Angie - and I'll just say one more thing...

Jick, I'm not so sure any of us have a leg to stand on when assessing a band member's disposability factor when we are on the extreme outside of the inner workings of this band. Though some of us like to think we know everything about this band, its music and so on, we do not. Thusly, we cannot know who gives the most behind the scenes and who does not. Also, do not forget that Adam was the band's manager way back in the day, and was responsible for getting the band gigs and later on, finding Paul McGuinness and other important people behind the curtain.

So for you to hold the fact that Adam has had some rough spots against him being an asset to the band is just plain silly. Or mentioning the fact that he is not Christian - so what? Does that make him less? Paul McGuinness also did not take up with B, L and E's beliefs back in the day - should we judge him for it too? Absolutely not.

Again, like I said, your comments "about" or "against" Adam, or however you want to spin it, make your comments about Avril Lavigne all the more entertaining. So cheers!
Old 08-30-2003, 09:50 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

" It is fact that Adam is the only one caught in a drug bust, the only one the miss a gig and the only non-Christian"

who cares if he made a mistake and got caught in a drug bust? Not me. If it was a recurring problem and he was a total druggie and is busted almost every month for it, yeah, then there might be a little problem, but he got busted what once and many, many years ago?

And if he's not Christian who cares? I think I posted that already but you didn't seem to answer it the first time, Jick. So what if he's not Christian? I'm a Catholic and I don't care that he's not a Christian. It's not like U2 and U2 fans is a CHRISTIAN ONLY club. Where the sign that says "Fuck off all non-christians?" I dont see it.

if you want to argue that his basslines are lame or whatever you think they are, thats fine, but why would you judge somebody on their religion? Aren't Christians NOT supposed to judge other people, yet you exhibit that behavior? Baffling. Now i'm just rambling...
Old 08-30-2003, 11:11 AM   #49
Refugee

I never implied being a non-Christian makes Adam any less. I just said he is a such and that is a fact. Don't overinterpret and put words in other people's mouths (or in other people's typings for that matter).

Cheers,

J
Old 08-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Then why would you even bother listing it in your complaints of adam or include it with a drug bust if you werent implying something?
Old 08-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #51
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by jick
I never implied being a non-Christian makes Adam any less. I just said he is a such and that is a fact. Don't overinterpret and put words in other people's mouths (or in other people's typings for that matter).

Cheers,

J
jick, this has nothing to do with interpretation
you presented some facts and some of your own opinions in a way as if it was a coherent essaye on why Adam's position in U2 is totally disposable

now, frankly, I still think you just post stuff like that to rile up other people
and - since I am a mod - I can only see 2 different ways how we can prevent this stuff from happening again & again & again:
1. people should stop caring about what you post
2. you should stop trying to get other forum members riled up

since option 2 is the least demanding on most forum members I say we try that one for - let's say - a year or 2

thank you for your co-operation
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-30-2003, 01:06 PM   #52
War Child

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Nice one Jick...ass
Old 08-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Wait, how did we get from talking about favorite bass lines to why Adam is disposable and critisize him? (btw, I think none of the members are disposable. leave one and the band is gone)

I thought it was cleared up in a separate thread that the bass line in Please was fine and it was actually Bono singing in the different key to everyone else?

So what if he was arrested - no one is perfect? It was years ago, and he's been clean for years now.

Isn't Adam actually also a Christian but only in a different religious group as the other three? (not that I care anyway)
Old 09-02-2003, 03:27 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Adam is COOL and a totally under-rated bassist. His night-after-night consistancy, strength of character to come back from the now-public Sydney incident (where he missed a show) and concentration on only the music - staying away from the limelight outside of it - should all be taken into account.

His basslines are always perfect for the mood and feel of the song, my personal favourite probably being "WOWY" (although my personal favourites with regards to U2 change regularaly!)

Anyways I doubt that was written by a proper journalist - it would take an extremely ignorant journalist to describe anyone at the level U2 are at to be a "wanker". He's merely someone who listened to his friends or what other people were saying and make a quick judgement, based upon the few loose U2 singles he can vaguely remember hearing on the radio some years back...

JTH
Old 09-02-2003, 04:29 PM   #55
The Fly

Local Time: 12:51 PM
adam did get busted and he made it public that he was sorry and took all the responsibility for it instead of making a big deal about it he took control of the problem... sound like a guy who deserves to be in a band, a guy who can have trouble come his way and fix it himself.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:09 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Let's see. Bono can't write or sing
Edge can't play the guitar
Larry isn't a real drummer
Now, Adam can't play bass.

So what exactly do you like about the Biggest Band in the World,
Jick? And I might add, what are you doing spending so much or any time on a U2 board? Not riled just curious.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:50 AM   #57
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:51 PM
lol Sue. Its funny how those are used to describe 'the greatest band in the world' be it from a fan or not.

Anyways, I really doubt anything Adam can or cannot do, has or has not done, can render him unfit for the band or a disposable member. After ZooTV I spoke to a friend of mine, the only person I know of so far who went to the show Adam missed and she summed it up as well as I would imagine anyone could. She said the tech did a great job, he was outstanding, the mood was incredible though hesitant at first (to her at least) and while the other 3 took the reigns and put on 125% to make up for it, it was not U2. They gave the stand-in a standing ovation. We might be a bit complacent, Adam doesn't usually get an ovation like that. Someone who tried to fill his shoes though does, as it shows clearly the size of these shoes he was trying to fill.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:03 AM   #58
Refugee

Just wondering, do you guys think Adam wrote and played the bassline of Love Comes Tumbling? They've never played the song live and the bassline sounds so unlike Adam.

To the person asking why I spend so much time in these forums, I actually don't. I just reply a lot, unlike other lurkers who just read and read without contributing anything.

Cheers,

J
Old 09-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #59
War Child

Local Time: 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack In The Box
I'm obsessed with Adam

my favorites basslines, with no specific order:
Gone
Do You Feel Loved
Please
Exit
Endless Deep
Twilight
An Cat Dubh
Ultraviolet
Mofo
Indian Summer Sky
Love Comes Tumbling
With Or Without You
New Year's Day of course
etc.

I too am obsessed with Adam....... I love everything about him ......those punks r just jealous....anyways my fav bass lines include: Mofo ,In God's Country, Stay,Do You Feel Loved, One,Trip Through Your Wires,Bullet the Blue Sky,Exit,Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and much more. @ the reviewers.