Adam and Lanois in charge for the NEW ALBUM!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Statement:
If Adam and Lanois would take the leading roll in the recording of the new album, it might become an album with the same BALLS as Achtung Baby had! Because:

(Adam)
* Adam brings the movement in a song, the hips, the flow, he makes a song elastic. Or to the contrary gives a song it's pumping cementlike/concrete pillars!

As in hips/flow: mysterious ways, in a little while, lemon, so cruel, trying to..., with or without you, heartland, staring at the sun, gone, wake up dead man, stay, new year's day..

As in concrete: zoo station, bullet, unforgettable fire, until the end.., the fly, acrobat, exit, miami,..

Nowadays his role is very much the serving one, i think. Except for A Man And A Woman. He plays better than ever though. But he's too much in the background.

(Lanois)
* Lanois is the man of the melody. The colour! He can bring the real sweetness in a melody. When U2 seems stuck, he's the one who still hasn't lost track and knows where the colourfull melody might be. He is of great value for U2! I guess he's the real 5th member. In the studio he is, for sure!

* Lanois is also the man of hips and flow. Achtung Baby is full of conga's, rattlers, shakers, and all other kinds of percussion! Every song is full of it.

I think U2 is at it's best striving to be something they're actually not! On Achtung Baby they tried to be more dance-orientated. Look what album came out of it! Full of percussion, great bass riffs, therefore Edge had to be more rhythmic too! And on AB he is! It's swings, and therefore it rocked! The same with Zooropa: Lemon! Is this one of their best songs or what? Furthermore on Zooropa they were NOT trying to sound like a rockband. Just capturing the moment and experiment. Great album! (I feel the same about POP, by the way...)

On HTDAAB there's hardly any percussion and great swinging Adam-riffs... And therefore not as multi-layered as AB was. It's too straight-on. Flat. Also Larry: don't you all miss Larry hitting his big tom-tom's and creating a big rumble as in Desire, God part2, The Fly, Zoo Station, Acrobat,...?

I think nowadays, with U2 thinking they're a rockband, they're selling theirself short. U2 are at their best on unknown territory. They should look for that I think. U2 should look for their hips, feet, colours and the experimental grounds again... We do have Vertigo (good song) now, so let go of the down-to-earth rock and roll... Find the rock and roll "from another place" like you've done before, in a new way. Adam and Lanois will point the way!

I think if one member of the band had "charge" over an album, we'd end up with a shit album. U2 has always admitted they are at their best when the four meet in the center of the room.

Lanois, hell we've seen it before. Yeah the result is good but I'd like to see something new.

if a band member were to take charge of an album i'd much rather see edge do it than adam

Give Edge the reins. Have Larry, Adam, and him complete a lot of track ideas before Bono even gets to the studio. Do not hire Steve Lillywhite to package everything in a nice sheen.

Profit?

The title of this thread is very misleading and that annoys me.

And this is in the wrong forum.

Chizip said:
if a band member were to take charge of an album i'd much rather see edge do it than adam

= Zooropa. :rockon:

Though I wouldn't wish divorce again on Edge so that he has to sleep in the studio like he did for the Z....:wink:

You don't have to convince me of Lanois' value and contribution to the success and sound of U2. I have most of his recordings and have seen him live. While his own personality and musical style may not be personally suited to arena/stadium rock, this man has a gift that U2 has been wise enough to recognize. He has, in my opinion, been an immeasurable asset to U2. And, I am pretty sure U2 knows what they owe to him. Think of how many times over the years (and over several tours) where U2 has made a point of it to bring him out on stage to play. To me, he really is the 5th Beatle if you know what I mean. I hope to hear much more from U2/Lanois (and Daniel Lanois solo).

P.S. If Bono ever does go solo, I think it's a safe bet that he will hitch his wagon to Lanois for recording the first solo effort. (I'm thinking "Falling at Your Feet" is one of the best and most under-appreciated "U2" recordings...ever.)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think if one member of the band had "charge" over an album, we'd end up with a shit album. U2 has always admitted they are at their best when the four meet in the center of the room.

Lanois, hell we've seen it before. Yeah the result is good but I'd like to see something new.
yup ;]

Canadiens1160 said:
Give Edge the reins. Have Larry, Adam, and him complete a lot of track ideas before Bono even gets to the studio. Do not hire Steve Lillywhite to package everything in a nice sheen.

BINGO!!! :up:

i dont see how having those two "in charge" would make an album with balls like AB had. remembering both adam and lanios were two people initially against the push towards that new direction anyway.

bono_man said:
i dont see how having those two "in charge" would make an album with balls like AB had. remembering both adam and lanios were two people initially against the push towards that new direction anyway.

Eeeeexactly. Though, it was more Lanois who was heavily opposed to it than Eno. Team Lanois Clayton Mullen versus Bono and The Edge!

GibsonGirl said:

Eeeeexactly. Though, it was more Lanois who was heavily opposed to it than Eno. Team Lanois Clayton Mullen versus Bono and The Edge!

I know all of this!!
But Lanois and Adam contributed their parts best in the end. But they will not as easily get the credits for it. Because the whole sounds so great, mostly Edge and Bono (who were great too on this album!) get the compliments for it...

Maybe Adam and Lanois were against the new direction in the beginning, during the recording proces they created the solid and colourful base for the rest to get the best out of themselves. That's my point!

Zooropa is Edge's creation isn't it? I'd say LARRY and Adam as opposed to Bono/Edge. Lanois/Eno? No thanks. Been there done that. How about Larry & Steve Lillywhite :) ? Larry produced Mission Impossible iirc

onyourkneesboy said:

I know all of this!!
But Lanois and Adam contributed their parts best in the end.
AT THE END? How does that help?

onyourkneesboy said:

Maybe Adam and Lanois were against the new direction in the beginning, during the recording proces they created the solid and colourful base for the rest to get the best out of themselves. That's my point!

MAYBE?

Dude once again your theory falls short.

Nisse said:
Been there done that. How about Larry & Steve Lillywhite :) ? Larry produced Mission Impossible iirc

Oh God, I think I'd be even more scared of an album headed by Larry than an album headed by Adam.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh God, I think I'd be even more scared of an album headed by Larry than an album headed by Adam.

The thought of Larry producing is enough to give me nightmares.

Back
Top Bottom