Actually, it does rock as hard as Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RademR said:
I'd rather not make comparisons. I think its pointless. I'm not trying to hate on the post, JOFO, cause its a good one, which one rocks harder. But the whole comparing HTDAAB vs. AB is so uneccessary. AB was made 13 years ago!! It is unfair to compare HTDAAB to it because AB is the greatest album ever created IMO and creates a negative image toward the new record, when it itself is pure brilliance and every track is strong.

So do I think AB is better? Yes, because I've had over a decade to fall in love and experience every song, plus I got to see ZOOTV develop for almost three years, see the songs take another life on stage, and then own about 30 bootlegs from the Achtung Baby era alone. So compare that to, uh...a downloded leak of HTDAAB? Of course I'd go with AB :shrug:

Best post on this thread. You are absolutely right.

I love both albums, but I secretly wish HTDAAB was a little dirty like AB feels to me.:ohmy:

JOFO said:
Let's compare track to track:

1. Zoo Station vs. Vertigo
Vertigo rocks harder.

2. EBTTRT vs. Miracle Drug
tie

3. One vs. SYCMIOYO
tie

4. UTEOTW vs. LAPOE
tie

5. WGRYWH v. COBL
tie

6. So Cruel vs. All Because Of You
All Because of You rock harder

7. The Fly vs. A Man and a Woman
The Fly rocks harder

8. Mysterious Ways vs. Crumbs From Your Table
Crumbs rocks harder

9. Tryin To Throw vs. One Step Closer
tie

10. Ultraviolet vs. OOTS
Ultraviolet rocks harder

11. Acrobat vs. Yahweh
Acrobat rocks harder

12. Love is Blindness
well, not fair to judge; maybe Fast Cars rocks harder?

so there's the proof:

AB: 3 harder tunes, HTDAAB: 3 harder tunes, 5 ties.

verdict: it "rocks" just as hard.

:eek:

I must disagree with you here. Even Better Than the Real Thing rocks much harder than Miracle Drug. On the other hand, City of Blinding Lights clearly rocks harder than Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. Mysterious Ways certainly rocks harder than Crumbs From Your Table. I think Yahweh and Acrobat are a tie.

They way I see it, Achtung Baby has 4 harder tunes, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb has 3 harder tunes with 4 ties.

katy69 said:

But I have to admit that it took me a while to love Achtung Baby - which I do now for 12 years.

Me too. The first time I listened to Achtung Baby my first reaction was, "What in God's name did they do to Bono's voice!" I was a little bit horrified. So I tossed the album aside and didn't listen to it for a few days. I had to force myself to listen to the album in its entirety. Even then, I didn't immediately warm up to it. I had to listen to it five or six times before I decided that I really did like it.

Sure you can break it down to song vs. song, but you're ignoring the album and how they can be greater than the sum of their parts.

I feel way more "rocked" after listening to AB than HTDAAB, but there's 2 different kinds of rock we're talking about here.

AB rocks the heart, HTDAAB rocks the soul.

I know it's the norm to go with AB as the rock album (and IMO The Fly and UTEOTW are worthy of making it so), but I really think that October, pound for pound (except the song October) beats AB hands down in the 'rock' category...but then again, I haven't listened to HTDAAB yet, so I guess I shouldn't be adding to this conversation.

It's just my opinion, but I've never been able to understand EBTTRT being referred to as a "rocking" tune. It's got more of a dance - pop thing going on, if you ask me.

I would say that MD is definitely more "rock" in nature, and that COBL takes the cake over WGRYWH, as well.

I don't think this album rocks harder than Achtung Baby. This album has 3 songs with distortion all the way thru while AB almost all of them have distortion guitar. So even the slower AB songs like One feel rockier or at least grittier than the new album songs. This album was not made to rock, it was made to elevate. When Bono said this was a rock album he was just exagerating as usual.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Or maybe it all hinges on one's interpretation of "rock" :shrug:

true, sometimes I hear something that's pretty slow like One and most people don't see that as a rocker but to me the way it builds up and up is rock like but not the traditional defintion of rock.

I think it's useless to compare their albums, cuz each r so diff. It's even hard 2 compare Boy w/ October or Achtung w/ Zooropa. They all have their style and flow 2 em'.

That's wut i think

JOFO said:

Jesus Jumping Christ.

It's a fan DISCUSSION board. people are talking trash about how it doesn't "rock" as hard, so I put up a thread refuting that.

what are we supposed to talk about? the price of curtains at k-mart?

wha? you mean we're not. I saw a shower curtain, but no $$$ at the time.

Weren't U2 kinda close to the lingerie section of Kmart for the release of Pop? Thought someone pointed that out, maybe not.

I haven't heard the album in it's entirety, so I've nothing to contribute other than the price of curtains at K-Mart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom