Acrobat , Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he could sing Acrobat without problems. Red Hill Mining Town and Heartland I'm not so sure of.

My list is long

Stories for boys
Tomorrow
THBAO
Surrender
Wire
UF
Hawkmoon 269
AATW
LRM
Heartland
GPII
EBTTRT
So cruel
TTTYAATW
UV
Acrobat
LIB
Zooropa
Lemon
Stay
The Wanderer
DYFL
Mofo
LNOE
Gone
Please
WILATW
Grace
Electrical Storm
HMTMKMKM
TSOHOSOS
DWTIME
WOS

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
Bono's voice cannot handle it live. He's much worse now than he was in Zoo Tv and he couldn't even handle it then. It's not going to happen. [Unless you want a crap version everyone would make fun of.] End of story.

In some ways Bono was worse on ZooTV then he was on Vertigo tour... But why does the song need to be crap only because he cant sing it like that. He had a totaly different voice in the 80's and if they had done that song then it would have sound different. I think his Vertigo voice would have fit the song. Take WOWY for an example, he has never sing the song like the studio version, even not on JT and LT tour. But there are alot of good live versions of that song. The same with Pride.

Take NYD for an example, the line:
"Say it's true, it's true...
And we can break through
Though torn in two
We can be one"

Well in the 80's he screamed some words and sang it with a real strenght. That was impressive.
Well on the Vertigo 5th leg he didnt use the screaming on that line but instead he used more power on the singing and it sounded very good.

Only because Bono sound different dosnt mean that it dosnt sound good.

Bono's Falsetto on ZooTV was beautiful. Listen to Satellite of Love from Dublin 93, or Can't Help Falling In Love from Houston 92. Just spellbinding. His voice seemed 'easier' back then. He actually sometimes looks in pain these days when he sings!

Bono is also a great stage actor, his voice affectations for Mirrorball Man and MacPhisto on ZooTV were superb...

Jesus I miss the showmanship of ZooTV I know it was the same setlist every night, but it just flowed so well!

Axver said:

Think The Electric Co.? Yeah, that rocked the house down and everyone got into it, it was the highlight of the night, just like I expect they would with Acrobat.

I'm sick of these insinuations made about casual fans. I'm not targeting this rant specifically at you, as plenty of people here have said what you posted time and time again. Casual fans don't just listen to WOWY and One and Vertigo, and I wish people here would stop acting like they'd stand around going "what is this shit? Where's Beautiful Day?" I know plenty of casual fans who've been to U2 gigs, some of whom I've taken myself, and some of their favourite songs at these gigs have been An Cat Dubh, Party Girl, One Tree Hill, Kite, and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (which has about Acrobat's status in the general consciousness, really). I know someone who wouldn't know Boy from HTDAAB who was surprised U2 didn't play Silver And Gold! So let's just stop with the argument that "if U2 played Acrobat, a minority of the crowd would be loving it and most of the rest would be lifeless".

It did rock the house and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, I was merely stating what I observed during the last tour, which is that when The Electric Co. started, some, but not all, fans either stopped paying attention, talked to their neighbour, or took the opportunity to go to the bathroom etc...

And these casual fans whom you took to a concert and loved An Cat Dubh, Party Girl, One Tree Hill, Kite, and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, was this during or after the song? I've taken casual fans before and after a more obscure song their reaction often was: "Wow, I didn't know that song but it was amazing!" But of course, even though they didn't know the song they took the time to listen and appreciate it, which is more than I can say about fans who insisted on talking incessantly in my ear during lesser known songs such as the ones mentioned above.

djerdap said:
I think he could sing Acrobat without problems. Red Hill Mining Town and Heartland I'm not so sure of.

He can do Acrobat.

No way for Red hill mining town and Heartland. The former didn't even work on JT tour, and I don't think they ever considered the latter live. I'm happy with the Rattle and Hum version.

Petrr...in my opinion, the vertigo version of that part is the best it has ever been, better than JT and zootv versions easily...so much more raw power yet so smooth...there is a thread on that exact topic btw :)

there were many times throughout the vertigo tour when I heard Bono's singing and began to think RHMT and Heartland were possible..and I think his voice will even be better than that..

As for acrobat, he will be able to do that easily...

Back
Top Bottom