Acrobat?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ACROBAT is still my fave U2 song and probably its my all time fave of any songs...
gareth brown: doubt it's too difficult for them to play given the time signature since the studio version's pretty much live anyway.
i fully agree! its a shame that tey never played it live. maybe they do it in auckland / NZ, because ACROBAT was born there during soundcheck in 1989.
ACROBAT :rockon:

The answer is there, in the first quote isn't it?

'It never became a live favourite, maybe because I don't think that is what people come to U2 for. But I really like it.' Edge in u2byu2.

This is interesting as this is the only time that I can think of that U2 underestimate their audience. At least Im one who would love them to play songs like Acrobat (like the rest og interference I suppose..).

tuwie said:
i just wanted to say that i think it's kinda sad that pop isn't represented more. they barely play pop songs and pop isn't even on the "U218 singles" compilation =(
i really liked pop <3

yea but I figure they didn't put Pop songs on it 'because it wasn't well received in the US' :banghead: who cares if it wasn't a hit TEN YEARS AGO? they KNOW people love the record anywayz, it has sold over 7 million! and yea, check the crowd reactions to Discothéque last year, they should def. play Pop songs again!

schnumi said:
And there you have it.... Im sorry but i myself find that a very bad reason not to play it. But ofcourse i can't see what the band feels with a song.

I've never understood how people can get bent out of shape when it comes to lyrics anyhow...

When the September line in Please is pointed out, yes it does have a similar vibe to 911 but really, you can probably take any subject and with the right logic make any song fit - Britney Spears and Quantum Mechanics anyone????

If you don't play a song it means the terrorists have won :wink: (come to think of it, this is only partially a joke). I was really surprised at the concert for 911 James Taylor performed Fire and Rain which contains the lyric "Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground" - that was a couple of weeks after 911. Why did he do it? Because people love the song and I think the same should go for U2, lyrical association be dammed, if it's a good song play it!

Whoa, went a little off topic there... Please continue and I agree that Acrobat rocks and should be played live...

J_NP said:

This is a joke right ? He's better be ........ Coz of somethin happened in the US , the whole world has to pay ???

:|

I'm sorry but 9-11 was a little more than "somethin happened".

As it was said earlier take your anger out on Bono not Americans.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I was really surprised at the concert for 911 James Taylor performed Fire and Rain which contains the lyric "Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground" - that was a couple of weeks after 911. Why did he do it? Because people love the song and I think the same should go for U2, lyrical association be dammed, if it's a good song play it!

certian songs took on different meanings after 9/11

billy joel performed miami 2017 at the concert for nyc... take a look at those lyrics sometime... it's downright spooky.

Seen the lights go out Broadway
I saw the Empire State laid low
And life went on beyond the Palisades
They all bought Cadillacs
And left there long ago

They held a concert out in Brooklyn
To watch the Island bridges blow
They turned our power down
And drove us underground
But we went right on with the show

I've seen the lights go out on Broadway
I saw the ruins at my feet
You know we almost didn't notice it
We'd seen it all the time on 42nd Street

They burned the churches down in Harlem
Like in that Spanish civil war
The flames were everywhere
But no one really cared
It always burned up there before

I've seen the lights go out on Broadway
I saw the mighty skyline fall
The boats were waiting at the Battery
The union went on strike
They never sailed at all

They sent a carrier out from Norfolk
And picked the Yankees up for free
They said that Queens could stay
And blew the Bronx away
And sank Manhattan out at sea

You know those lights were bright on Broadway
That was so many years ago
Before we all lived here in Florida
Before the Mafia took over Mexico
There are not many who remember
They say a handful still survive
To tell the world about
The way the lights went out
And keep the memory alive

U2democrat said:

:|

I'm sorry but 9-11 was a little more than "somethin happened".

As it was said earlier take your anger out on Bono not Americans.

I don't think I put myself well , Just lemme clear

9-11 was awful , terribly awful , not only US americans but citizens from all the world died , and all inoccents , the thing is they payed for the US's govs. actions .

This is gonna cause polemics and all , but I'd be really pleased , if instead of the towers and people , and if it was a plane with only the terrorists , I would be pleased in seein like the tower of liberty taken down , In Fact I think other americans would see it this way .........

Coz this is my view attack inoccent people besides being coward , it's something I don't have words , but if they attacked a public construction , anything that hurt directly the gov of US would have no problems ...........

It's funny that coz just it was the US , every world mourned and cried and , shows to benefit ........ But question , Why wasn't the same with all the South American , hell all the Countries that suffered dictatorships that were supported by the Lovers of Democracy ?? Or With Vietnam , which even people still suffer today coz of the Orange Bomb thing .......

Miami 2017 is creepy nowadays.

Then again it never really fit as a Billy Joel song as it features much more poetic lyrics than his usual straightforward songs or ballads.

JulioArca said:
The answer is there, in the first quote isn't it?

'It never became a live favourite, maybe because I don't think that is what people come to U2 for. But I really like it.' Edge in u2byu2.

This is interesting as this is the only time that I can think of that U2 underestimate their audience. At least Im one who would love them to play songs like Acrobat (like the rest og interference I suppose..).

I think edge is talking about the people who come to hear Pride every show. Everyone that visits this bored would give U2 a setlist that would challenge them...just as fans should. We all challenge them to be better. I would love to hear Acrobat..and all of the other songs that die after a short life in the studio. (snippets don't count) (bsides either)

When I look at the World
Red Hill Mining Town
One Step to Closer to Knowing
Acrobat
Man and a Woman
Drowning Man
Peace on Earth
Playboy Mansion

Not that these are my favorite songs but a live interpretation is always welcome.

Swan269 said:

When I look at the World
Red Hill Mining Town
One Step to Closer to Knowing
Acrobat
Man and a Woman
Drowning Man
Peace on Earth
Playboy Mansion

Not that these are my favorite songs but a live interpretation is always welcome.

Love When I Look At The World, but I dont think they wanted to play it and they didnt think it fit the setlist. A bit to mellow also. The original harder riff version could have been done live, I wish they would have left it that way on the album.

Red Hill Mining Town was attempted in soundcheck in Tennessee on the Joshua Tree tour. Bono said the chorus "wrecked" his voice and Larry had trouble with the timing.

One Step Closer, I think it was just to mellow to fit the Vertigo setlist. Would have been nap time for half the audience. :wink: (I'm surprised it wasnt/hasnt been snippeted though).

Acrobat, they tried it, had to go to acoustic to work it out and that just didnt work either.

Man and A Woman, could have been done, easily. But why! :laugh: :wink:

Drowning Man, would have been interesting, I dont know if Bono could handle it vocally now though.

Peace On Earth, full band version was rehearsed quite a bit. Should have been done at a show.

Playboy Mansion, rehearsed for Popmart. Bono had big ideas about the production for it and when that fell through, so did the song unfortunately.

My point? Its not like alot of these songs weren't tried. The band just thought they didnt work live. As an artist its their perogative to do what they feel works. I dont really see it as fans "challenging" the band.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

My point? Its not like alot of these songs weren't tried. The band just thought they didnt work live. As an artist its their perogative to do what they feel works. I dont really see it as fans "challenging" the band.

What I meant by challenging is that the people who are regulars on this site would challenge Edge's perception on what a U2 audience would want to hear.

In the new book, Edge said that they never played the song (when I look at the world) live because he couldn't remember how he came up with the guitar sound. :) I know that perhaps some of these songs were worked on and didn't work live but I wish that they would appear sometime! If they could get Mofo to work, they could have gotten some of the other songs eventually. Before I write this it should be understood I like both songs, but if they can play Running to Stand Still and Miss Sarajevo (sleepers) they could have done "one step closer"

Swan269 said:

What I meant by challenging is that the people who are regulars on this site would challenge Edge's perception on what a U2 audience would want to hear.

In the new book, Edge said that they never played the song (when I look at the world) live because he couldn't remember how he came up with the guitar sound. :) I know that perhaps some of these songs were worked on and didn't work live but I wish that they would appear sometime! If they could get Mofo to work, they could have gotten some of the other songs eventually. Before I write this it should be understood I like both songs, but if they can play Running to Stand Still and Miss Sarajevo (sleepers) they could have done "one step closer"

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I think there is a misperception though that people on this board represent most of the crowd a U2 concert. I dont think we do, I think we are a small percentage of the crowd. So Edge's perception could be much closer than what us diehards think they should do. After all, he sees every single crowd, every single night, and sees their reaction. :shrug:

I also agree that Miss Sarajevo is a sleeper. They should drop it. I like Running To Stand Still, but only if it follows Bullet. Although I dont think the Zoo TV version of Running was really a sleeper.

Blue Room said:

I also agree that Miss Sarajevo is a sleeper. They should drop it. I like Running To Stand Still, but only if it follows Bullet. Although I dont think the Zoo TV version of Running was really a sleeper.

I agree with you there, I like though the breaks in the show for reflection and just to watch the band perform without having to jump up and down. Edges perception is totally correct about the U2 audience as a whole..they want to hear Pride and With or Without You and songs like that. A part of me wants to hear those too but we treat songs like trading cards in this forum "lets trade Pride for Crumbs" I do this all the time when I look at setlists. This just happens because we all have everything and listen to them more than we should :)...we probably have heard Pride like a billion times more than the average joe.

Back
Top Bottom