Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote for the 4th DVD in the box set would have to be the 1st Wembley show on 11th august 1993. This is in my opinion the best show of the whole zoo tv tour, it had everything, the perfect setlist covering both achtung baby and zooropa albums, the moving satelite link up to sarajevo, salman rushdie on stage, and im sure it featured shankar on violin during Bad.

The band were on fire that night too, and were louder than ever. This would make the box set superb!

Selist:-

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Numb
Zooropa
Babyface
Stay (faraway, So Close!)
Satellite of Love
Bad
The First Time
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Desire
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Love Is Blindness
Can't Help Falling in Love

U2 "Zoo Station / Even Better Than The Real Thing" Live Zooropa Tour, Wembley Stadium 1993 - YouTube

My vote for the 4th DVD in the box set would have to be the 1st Wembley show on 11th august 1993. This is in my opinion the best show of the whole zoo tv tour, it had everything, the perfect setlist covering both achtung baby and zooropa albums, the moving satelite link up to sarajevo, salman rushdie on stage, and im sure it featured shankar on violin during Bad.

The band were on fire that night too, and were louder than ever. This would make the box set superb!

Selist:-

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Numb
Zooropa
Babyface
Stay (faraway, So Close!)
Satellite of Love
Bad
The First Time
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Desire
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Love Is Blindness
Can't Help Falling in Love

This is nice, but for my money I'd rather see a pre-Zooropa, Inside Broadcast ZOOTV show. I never thought the Zooropa songs flowed as well as the songs they replaced on that tour.

Of course, that's all just wishing, I think it's unlikely they'll throw another concert in considering Sydney show is in there.

Someone should find contact information for remastering engineer Bernie Grundman and ask him about Achting Baby being remastered. It is probably bettr to ask people directly involved in the remastering process.

Is anyone actually going to pay the absurd amount of money being asked for in exchange for buying something you already have? I mean, only the baby versions and six finished songs are new - everything else you probably already have, or could have had over the years for a much lower price. The videos are on youtube, are they not? Or on the 1990-2000 dvd? The documentary will be released on its own. The LP set is nice, but stupidly expensive (twice as much as the Daydream Nation 4 lp box) and half of it is remixes, not the interesting things like demos and finished tracks.

Rather than buy a release that purposely puts the most interesting elements only on the super expensive editions, why not donate that money to a Somalian relief charity and download the demos? Surely Bono and the rest of the guys would prefer you save lives with your money instead of lining their pockets and buying something you already have.

Oh yes, that's always helpful, telling people they should give that money to charity instead.

No one is sitting around thinking "Gosh, I have an extra $600. Should I give it to starving children, or should I buy something really ridiculous?"

Sarcasm aside, I feel hesitant to throw money at the problem when the message I kept getting from that Bono interview last night was how aid is not getting through to where it needs to go. I want to help - but how? Is there an organization where it's guaranteed to help and not going to just join the other aid that's sitting there not getting to those in need?

Seriousness AND sarcasm aside, there's no way I'm buying that ZOMGWTF version unless a) the price drops below $200; or b) I win the lottery, in which case I can buy the damned thing AND donate 18 x its price to charity. :)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the super edition. What's the estimated prices for that now? Last I checked it was around $150

At the moment I'm leaning towards the super edition. What's the estimated prices for that now? Last I checked it was around $150

That's still a lot of money to pay for a whole bunch of stuff that is already available. I mean, I might buy it too if I can find it cheap enough, but AB, Zooropa, Live in Sydney are all widely available. Three discs out of ten.

Then there are two discs of remixes. I already have most of them, and I'm sure a lot of people do, especially people who they expect to buy this thing. Same with the videos - already available on the Best of dvd. So that's 3 more discs, leaving four.

One is a documentary, which is not yet available on its own but it will be. Three discs left.

1. AB demos, which are unavailable. Very cool!
2. bsides and finished tracks. Half of that is already available to those who want it, and many already have them. The other half is really, really exciting.
3. Mystery dvd. Could be awesome, could be a waste of time. Why are they offering the preorder - and why are people ordering? - when 1/10 is unknown?

Then there's the book. Could be alright, probably won't be too exciting.

Overall, I find this to be a massive waste of money and plastic. Very little of this package is unavailable, yet they bundle that stuff with the boring stuff that's been around for 15-20 years. It would make a lot more sense to release a double disc, or maybe triple, of the album, a disc of demos/finished tracks, and a disc of b-sides and a few good remixes, with the documentary, videos and an unreleased concert on one dvd. And then, if one wants a currated edition of EVERYTHING, there would be an uber edition with everything on it, but for a much lower price. I get that these box sets are common (Station to Station being the most absurd thing ever released by a record company), but there should be more NEW STUFF on it, because it's all pretty boring. Still, I might buy the super edition becasue the vinyl box is stupidly expensive and has an awful track list, and because I don't want to hear the demos in crappy mp3 quality. I will download them first though, to see if they're any good.

So, to people who are preordering: Why? I'm curious.

Honestly, I own next to none of this stuff. Oddly enough, I've never owned a physical copy of Achtung Baby or Zooropa (I have it all on mp3's instead) or Live from Sydney. So I think this might actually end up being a pretty good deal for me, personally.

That's still a lot of money to pay for a whole bunch of stuff that is already available. I mean, I might buy it too if I can find it cheap enough, but AB, Zooropa, Live in Sydney are all widely available. Three discs out of ten.

Then there are two discs of remixes. I already have most of them, and I'm sure a lot of people do, especially people who they expect to buy this thing. Same with the videos - already available on the Best of dvd. So that's 3 more discs, leaving four.

One is a documentary, which is not yet available on its own but it will be. Three discs left.

1. AB demos, which are unavailable. Very cool!
2. bsides and finished tracks. Half of that is already available to those who want it, and many already have them. The other half is really, really exciting.
3. Mystery dvd. Could be awesome, could be a waste of time. Why are they offering the preorder - and why are people ordering? - when 1/10 is unknown?

Then there's the book. Could be alright, probably won't be too exciting.

Overall, I find this to be a massive waste of money and plastic. Very little of this package is unavailable, yet they bundle that stuff with the boring stuff that's been around for 15-20 years. It would make a lot more sense to release a double disc, or maybe triple, of the album, a disc of demos/finished tracks, and a disc of b-sides and a few good remixes, with the documentary, videos and an unreleased concert on one dvd. And then, if one wants a currated edition of EVERYTHING, there would be an uber edition with everything on it, but for a much lower price. I get that these box sets are common (Station to Station being the most absurd thing ever released by a record company), but there should be more NEW STUFF on it, because it's all pretty boring. Still, I might buy the super edition becasue the vinyl box is stupidly expensive and has an awful track list, and because I don't want to hear the demos in crappy mp3 quality. I will download them first though, to see if they're any good.

Because we are going through withdrawal symptoms from a lack of new material, and the promise of unreleased and demo tracks is irresistible (for me at least). Makes you wonder whether THIS is why the band held back on releasing new material this past Spring.

Why the hell would they rerelease it? What would be the point? I would say to make more money but i am pretty sure they don't need more money right now. I wish i could tell U2.com to get their heads out of their ass and go on U2.com and confirm its a remaster.

3. Mystery dvd. Could be awesome, could be a waste of time.

Following U2's track record of offering crap stuff to their fans lately, I'm guessing the mystery DVD will be something lame. Now what would be lame? A video of the the present day U2 performing the album straight through in studio. That's what I'm guessing the mystery DVD is. Hope to God it's anything but. Like many others, I'd prefer an alternate Zoo TV concert.

Maybe because we want this stuff? And, when ordering through Amazon, bet on a drop in price sometime before the release, so we can benefit from their price guarantee.

Really, as a big fan, I always expect to have most of the contents of those boxsets. So for me it's only the rest of the bonus material. Several of the remixes have never been released before on CD, so those are nice. Unreleased songs/mixes. The demos disc. The new documentary (yes, it'll probably be available separately later on, but for the moment it isn't. And when it does become available separately you still need to buy it, so it has a cost.). And the book seems to be really nice, from the few pictures I've seen.

I can also understand when people don't want to pre-order it. Just because it's worth it to me doesn't mean that others are as enthusiastic. :shrug:

^^
I think that would be pretty cool personally, if they actually played the whole album.

Following U2's track record of offering crap stuff to their fans lately, I'm guessing the mystery DVD will be something lame. Now what would be lame? A video of the the present day U2 performing the album straight through in studio. That's what I'm guessing the mystery DVD is. Hope to God it's anything but. Like many others, I'd prefer an alternate Zoo TV concert.

Actually, I'd kind of like to hear this. As long as it was a genuine studio performance, mistakes and all, I think that would be very cool to hear. I'd watch it once, then rip the audio.

Having said that, I'd still prefer a pre-Zooropa ZOOTV Inside Broadcast, but that's not going to happen.

UPDATE, RE: REMASTER: I wrote to Universal again to clarify whether it's a remaster or not. I just responded to the email I got, so it was to the same customer service rep. Once again, I specifically mentioned the reissues. This time I mentioned the Amazon "Original Recording Remastered" listing and provided a link. I asked her to resolve the discrepancy, and made it clear there's some confusion about this out there. I got essentially the same one line response from the same rep, though it wasn't a cut & paste...
"The album is the original version NOT a remastered version."

The emphasis was put there by her, not me. Note that emphasis was not in her original email to me. Take it all for what you will.

The person you're asking - manning some generic 'customer service' email address - is probably a school kid on a summer job in a small office attached to a distribution warehouse somewhere, dealing with a million hassles from retailers about a million inane things, and isn't really dedicating anything beyond three seconds of 'research' to these annoying questions from some U2 fan who has somehow gotten hold of this almost completely irrelevant address. They might very well be simply looking only at their system listing, which would be very similar or identical to what we initially saw. So that says 'original version', and doesn't say 'remastered' anywhere. And that's that. He/she may simply be making the same assumption you initially did - that if it doesn't specifically say it's remastered, then it's not. But that might not be the case.

The person you're asking - manning some generic 'customer service' email address - is probably a school kid on a summer job in a small office attached to a distribution warehouse somewhere, dealing with a million hassles from retailers about a million inane things, and isn't really dedicating anything beyond three seconds of 'research' to these annoying questions from some U2 fan who has somehow gotten hold of this almost completely irrelevant address. They might very well be simply looking only at their system listing, which would be very similar or identical to what we initially saw. So that says 'original version', and doesn't say 'remastered' anywhere. And that's that. He/she may simply be making the same assumption you initially did - that if it doesn't specifically say it's remastered, then it's not. But that might not be the case.

Fair enough. I'm not making a judgement of the quality of the information, or the general knowledge, skills and thoroughness of this person (though you are). I'm merely putting the information out there. You may be right, but you're the one making assumptions about how much checking he did or didn't do. In fact, everything anyone is saying (including you) on this whole remaster fiasco is an assumption based on available facts.

So only one person got two responses? Everyone else, nothing?

:hmm:

Well, if anyone else has written, they should say so. Have you written, "BVS"? It took approximately 48 hours each for me to get the two reposes I got. I see a lot of "Someone should really write to X" around here, but not many people actually doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom