Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it will be part of the super deluxe special limited exclusive edition. They'll want a ridiculous amount for it, but it will be there. There's no way it will be a separate thing. The film festival premiere and any following screenings (which I'd bet will just be a few special screenings in a few major cities) are only about promotion. This is made for, and will come with, the remaster.

Anyone want to have a guess at why they are calling the doc "From The Sky Down"? Maybe I'm having a moment here but I can't see how it relates to AB...
the best i can think of is maybe it's in reference to someone (forget who) describing the album as four men chopping down the joshua tree? i'm sure i couldn't be more far off, though.

i definitely agree it's got to be a quote in the documentary.

i don't know/care/think the documentary will appear on anything but the remaster though. it'd be neat but it's not like i'll go see it unless it gets a worldwide release, so yeah. but to me it would make sense, it's like releasing singles. why wouldn't you try to get some free publicity out of this? the more people that buy the remaster, the bigger the profit they'll make off this documentary.

That was exactly my point. I do not see why it would NOT be for this remaster. At all.

Ok, I totally agree that the documentary was made with the Achtung Baby remaster in mind. This year is the 20th anniversary of AB and U2 are obviously celebrating that. But don't you think it's possible that the documentary and the remaster might be released SEPARATELY as part of a larger Achtung Baby anniversary campaign?

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see the doc being released separately. WHY? you all keep asking. What about MONEY? Have you heard of a guy named Paul McGuinness?

And again, Davis Guggenheim is an Oscar-winning director and I could see him wanting his movie getting a higher profile (ie, an independent DVD release) rather than just as a bonus in a box set.

And again, Davis Guggenheim is an Oscar-winning director and I could see him wanting his movie getting a higher profile (ie, an independent DVD release) rather than just as a bonus in a box set.

If they were released separately (which I doubt) then maybe the box set would be cheaper.

Deluxe AB box set (like the JT box set): About $50 or so.

Deluxe AB box set with full-length Davis Guggenheim documentary: $75? $120? (Surely not!)

The above-mentioned combined with deluxe remastered Zooropa: $Too much.

I just hope it doesn't come in a cereal box like the $70 version of NLOTH. That thing is awkward.

You haven't seen awkward until you see the 360 DVD box set. That thing is huge and about what I'm expecting for the super-duper deluxe AB/Zooropa box set.

I think we will see the documentary in a very limited run, like the Foos and Pearl Jam did/are doing. Then I think it will be sold separately and in the big super-duper deluxe box set.

As for why they chose such a top director for a box set? It's freaking U2, they aren't going to use some kid straight out of film school.

The title could represent the shift from the big skies and wide open spaes of JT and R&H to the more dirty, claustrophobic, and grounded music/atmosphere found on AB.

Ok, I totally agree that the documentary was made with the Achtung Baby remaster in mind. This year is the 20th anniversary of AB and U2 are obviously celebrating that. But don't you think it's possible that the documentary and the remaster might be released SEPARATELY as part of a larger Achtung Baby anniversary campaign?

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see the doc being released separately. WHY? you all keep asking. What about MONEY? Have you heard of a guy named Paul McGuinness?

And that is exactly what the RS article is saying. A well known director with a documentary, set for a theatre run (they aren't just sticking wtih the Toronto festival opening) in select theatres (US ? Europe ? ROW ?), maybe a DVD in a few months time and separate from the remaster.

If they want to PR the anniversary/remaster, the bigger release the documentary gets the better, ie the above high profile release, not just the added footnote on the remaster.

As for the title, it could be from a description about the arrival of One in the bleak Hansa Studios sessions. "From the sky down."

And that is exactly what the RS article is saying. A well known director with a documentary, set for a theatre run (they aren't just sticking wtih the Toronto festival opening) in select theatres (US ? Europe ? ROW ?), maybe a DVD in a few months time and separate from the remaster.

If they want to PR the anniversary/remaster, the bigger release the documentary gets the better, ie the above high profile release, not just the added footnote on the remaster.

As for the title, it could be from a description about the arrival of One in the bleak Hansa Studios sessions. "From the sky down."

THANK YOU U2girl. I thought I was being needlessly pessimistic about this, but the more I think about it and the more I read about the high profile release of this documentary, the less I'm inclined to think it will be included with the remaster. MAYBE excerpts from the full documentary will be included, but I'm guessing the full, official doc will be its own separate release.

I agree that McGuinne$$ is probably going to enjoy the cash it brings in, but they could also just up the price on the boxset. Because, let's just be fair here, most of us are going to shell out for that thing anyway, no matter how much it'll cost. So I still don't really see why they shouldn't include something made for the remaster.
Maybe the remaster will include a concert dvd, and this documentary will have its own special 'limited' boxset or something, that's even more expensive.

Agree with the above. Realistically, there isn't much of a market for a documentary about ONE album. If it was about the band's whole history, maybe, but that's something for 20 years down the road.

But by including it with the remaster, they can charge an extra $10 and make that package more attractive to curious fans.

they can charge an extra $10

That's optimistic!

And yeah, I can't see this being 'released' theatrically beyond just a few individual 'special' screenings in a very limited number of cities (hopefully London is one of them).

The film festival is two months before the likely remaster release date. Even if it had a wider theatrical release, it wouldn't have a very long run - week or two tops - and if that kicked off immediately following the premiere, that window for something like this would be about right. My guess is you'll initially have to pay up for the Super Deluxe to get it then, and then a few months later it will be split off and available separately.

The title could represent the shift from the big skies and wide open spaes of JT and R&H to the more dirty, claustrophobic, and grounded music/atmosphere found on AB.

Nice thinking, I like that idea!

Could also be a reference to The Fly? A man will rise a man will fall? Satan falling from heaven?

....no confirmation yet about the details but The Remaster of AB+Zooropa will be full of surprises (the best Remaster So far from u2)...Rare Material...Alternative versions....demos & more......at this moment the puzzle is being assembled at Universal...the truth will be revealed somewhere in August on the official U2 site....keep in mind my words!!

:heart:

Universal leaked a picture of the super deluxe box:

81089514.png

Something like this, It's not that huge as on the container but still quite large!
http://
230720111306.jpg

Here's a better picture to see how large it just is!
These came with a special release I think back in the 90's, I think the vinyl release but I could be wrong.
I won this on ebay a while back!These are 16 seperate tiles, so it takes a while to hang them all, maybe they should include these in the special edition of the remasters?
300720111344.jpg

It's part of a box, bought in the toys r us.It contained also the 4 ghostbusters, but they are displayed somewhere else here.

i actually have that poster, they were selling it at a record shop back in the 90's. i used to display it but have since put it up in my closed for storage. somday once again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom