Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be the only one, but I think it's a shame that there's a possibility of them combining the two...

I think AB should have some really great leftovers.

I'm afraid if they combine the two somehow the bonus material might be too focused on ZooTV. Which wouldn't be terrible, but I'd prefer studio outtakes.

JMHO

No, you're not the only one. I like Zuropa just fine, but I'm not interested in a remaster of that. AB is the only one I want, so I'm hoping they'll be separate.

Going to be massive and give some real extras, unreleased versions, outtakes, zootv at Yankee stadium and I am starting to believe why there is no new album this yr with all of this going on

THESE LEFTOVERS SUCK BASED ON THE TITLES

Untidy Life = Dirty Day demo :down:
Nosejob = I guess they have enough money to all get them thanks to Zooropa deluxe
Jesus Drove Me = sounds like some bad CCM metaphor :down:
Piano: Poem = pretentious
Landscape = sounds like some Brian Eno solo track eww
Cry Baby = alt Babyface?? :yuck:
Indian Jam = maybe a leftover song from Morocco or whatever, could be cool
Sponge = Chris Martin tribute song
Lose Control = early Crazy Tonight??

Zooropa deluxe will now suck.

piano poem was the outtline for the passengers track
crybaby was not babyface...both existed at the sametime
lose control could have been the now dance version of crazy tonight but i don't think so
guessing jesus drove me was an early version of igwsha...igwsha has the word jesus quite a bit in a couplet or two.
untidy life=dirty day :|

:wink::up:

They're being coy...

chase-coy_album-cover.jpg

My Christmas gifts this year. My ONLY christmas gifts this year. I want both the Deluxe and Super Deluxe of both (if Zooropa even has a Super Deluxe). My two top favorite U2 albums being re-released in the same year! :hyper::hyper::hyper: I am a hyper pants today. :D
\

There is a deluxe box that comes with both. If it comes out before christmas, It will have to be a early present :wink: Cant wait!! I wonder how much it will be? And i hope its better then the unforgettable fire deluxe box.

The combination probably means the documentary they filmed this year talks about both albums, as well as the Zoo TV tour which features songs from both albums. It says that Zoo TV is featured.

\

There is a deluxe box that comes with both. If it comes out before christmas, It will have to be a early present :wink: Cant wait!! I wonder how much it will be? And i hope its better then the unforgettable fire deluxe box.

Well, early Christmas for me then! :wink:

I seriously have been super excited since I heard this news! My day was going a little bit crap up until this. The announcement completely turned things around. It's all I can think about now.

"There will be multiple formats. If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value."

Fuck you Paul McG, you've really turned the band into U2, Inc. They made you boatloads before you started controlling release dates and strategically planning more and more expensive formats, and they would have continued to had you not started.

That said, I'm psyched they're both coming simultaneously, means we'll get some ZooTV material, hopefully an entire Inside Broadcast show on video, :drool:

I just hope the Super Deluxe version isn't $120 like the Rose Bowl DVD was. :| Based on Paul's comments, I have a feeling it might be, but I really hope not.

"There will be multiple formats. If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value."

Fuck you Paul McG, you've really turned the band into U2, Inc. They made you boatloads before you started controlling release dates and strategically planning more and more expensive formats, and they would have continued to had you not started.

Fuck you Paul McG

Fuck you Paul McG

Fuck you Paul McG

This Exactly times a billion. Which is what I expect to pay, and will pay. But fuck that sounds so pig headed.

I know, we all knew that's how he's been thinking for the past decade+, but to come out and admit it in such a smarmy way in Rolling Stone? Man, talk about class.

Is there anything inaccurate about what McGuiness said?

If people don't want it, people won't buy it, and prices will adjust themselves accordingly. I'm not convinced that any U2 fan needed the $120 Rose Bowl super-ultra-deluxe Blu-Ray box set. (I sure didn't -- I got the 2 disc DVD set, which suited me just fine; and I know that a number of people on this board benefited from LiveNation's $40 screw-up.) No one needed the $70 deluxe No Line on the Horizon box set either, or the $50 Joshua Tree box set, or the $50 Unforgettable Fire boxset. But people bought it -- and clearly, bought it enough to make it worthwhile for the band to continue. I'm not sure that McGuiness is being particularly controversial because he talks about the responsiveness of the audience to a particular price-point. Crass, maybe. But Rolling Stone is a magazine about the music business, for pity's sake.

McGuiness' job is to make sure his clients get paid the proper amount for the material they put out. I don't think anyone has yet complained about the quality of the remasters thus far; while they are clearly labors of love, a lot of work goes into them (the essays, the packaging, the remastering, finishing old outtakes). The label -- and, ultimately, the band -- accrues more cost by releasing different remasters at different price points, but doing so allows people to buy what they can afford. Better than that than forcing fans to only buy the $70 ultra-deluxe remaster.

It is, unfortunately, show business. Particularly in the music industry, particularly these days.

Shrug.

What the hell would even be on Zooropa deluxe?

That's a question I really really really want a confirmed answer to.

I still have some promos from that era. There are some interesting mixes. Like the EBN version of NUMB. Lemonade version of Lemon. I would also bet that a live 2011 version of Zooropa would happen. Maybe that soundtrack version of Stay with the drums?

Is there anything inaccurate about what McGuiness said?

The label -- and, ultimately, the band -- accrues more cost by releasing different remasters at different price points, but doing so allows people to buy what they can afford. Better than that than only release the $70 ultra-deluxe remaster.

It is, unfortunately, show business. Particularly in the music industry, particularly these days.

Shrug.

I think it has gotten a little insane over the last few years but then again so has professional sports. I suppose there are two schools of thoughts coming from the U2 camp. One they are offering quality products, be it books, glossy photos, packaging and the second line is that they are setting the bench mark for quality in music/publishing the 21st century.

I think $50 is reasonable for remasters like JT and TUF, which were just one album in each box. Since the AB remaster is two albums together, I think it would be reasonable to charge up to $70. I bought the mega version of NLOTH for about $65 and I don't think it was worth it for a big flat book, weird movie, and a creased poster, so I hope it's worth it if the AB-Z remaster costs more than that.

The documentary will actually be Paul McG talking pretentiously about ways to pilfer more money from "people" while the boys recreate the 'Numb' music video in the background. Bono and Larry throwing random stuff on Edge while Adam sits there with his arms crossed, nodding along. Then we'll have six minutes of footage of them playing all the Achtung Baby songs they already play in 360 shows (Until The End of the World, One, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, and Real Thing) and then it will end and a message will pop up that says "Thanks For Purchasing This Piece of Shit!" with Paul McG smiling with his thumbs up in a "I-really-got-you-suckers-this-time" face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom