Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey what's your opinion on the whole remaster thing?

Actually I really don't care if it's remastered or not.
Like I said in another thread, I'll buy it just because I am using the original cd from when it was released and it's almost falling apart(it's the digipak release).
Also I like original released things and not downloadable bits and pieces.

Actually I really don't care if it's remastered or not.
Like I said in another thread, I'll buy it just because I am using the original cd from when it was released and it's almost falling apart(it's the digipak release).
Also I like original released things and not downloadable bits and pieces.

Yeah but a remastered copy would have an increased dynamic range. It just sounds better.

Lets talk about the documentary. How are they going to speak for 90 mins about an album? I say 40 mins is the top anyone can watch a movie/doc about a record.

I respectfully disagree sir. Given the description, below, they could do 120 or more minutes on it, if they include details about each band member's personal struggles, the revisiting of the songs in 2010/11, etc.

"Gaining intimate access to the band as they return to Berlin’s beautiful Hansa Studios to rehearse for their Glastonbury performance of Achtung Baby, Guggenheim finds Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, Jr. in peak form. The band has always been insistent on renovating their back catalogue for live performances. As they set about finding fresh ways to interpret songs like “The Fly,” “One” and “Even Better Than the Real Thing,” they also begin to reminisce about how those songs first came to fruition — and about the stew of personal struggles that informed them.

Bono has always been a witty, self-effacing and articulate raconteur, and his tales of coping with massive success and its inevitable backlash are enormously entertaining.

A handful of the best stories come not from the band, however, but from some of their most esteemed collaborators, such as Brian Eno and Canadian Daniel Lanois. The producers provide fascinating descriptions of the strange, winding and often amusing journeys from inspiration to synthesis."

I think they probably had OODLES of material to work with and lots of editing to get it down to 90 min :up:

I think the extra pages in the book for the Super Deluxe edition are being used to store the CDs. You see here that the CDs are stored in the book:
51EYTgTjFDL._SS500_.jpg

(The DVDs are probably stored in the back pages of the book)

The CDs in the Uber Deluxe version come in separate slipcases. You see them in the picture next to the CDs/DVDs:
51bUODF99EL._SS500_.jpg

My guess is that the contents of the book itself is identical. It's the same book, apart from the extra pages for the Super Deluxe edition to hold the CDs.

Thanks, that makes sense :up:

Yeah but a remastered copy would have an increased dynamic range. It just sounds better.

Not necessarily, according to that chart you posted in the last thread.

Which I didn't put much stock in, mind you, given their somewhat wacky results testing lossy and lossless copies of JT and UF vs their respective remasters.

I respectfully disagree sir. Given the description, below, they could do 120 or more minutes on it, if they include details about each band member's personal struggles, the revisiting of the songs in 2010/11, etc.

"Gaining intimate access to the band as they return to Berlin’s beautiful Hansa Studios to rehearse for their Glastonbury performance of Achtung Baby, Guggenheim finds Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, Jr. in peak form. The band has always been insistent on renovating their back catalogue for live performances. As they set about finding fresh ways to interpret songs like “The Fly,” “One” and “Even Better Than the Real Thing,” they also begin to reminisce about how those songs first came to fruition — and about the stew of personal struggles that informed them.

Bono has always been a witty, self-effacing and articulate raconteur, and his tales of coping with massive success and its inevitable backlash are enormously entertaining.

A handful of the best stories come not from the band, however, but from some of their most esteemed collaborators, such as Brian Eno and Canadian Daniel Lanois. The producers provide fascinating descriptions of the strange, winding and often amusing journeys from inspiration to synthesis."

I think they probably had OODLES of material to work with and lots of editing to get it down to 90 min :up:

Yeah. I don't think Guggenheim is going to make the typical "Making Of' album doc (e.g. The "Classic Albums: Joshua Tree" short doc from years ago). I'm sure that, as much as the music itself, it will revolve around the drama that surrounded the band at that point...just read Bill Flanagan's book for an idea of this. This was the period that U2 came closest to acting like the rock stars they are. I actually have very high hopes for this film (and if Guggenheim can make Al Gore look interesting for almost 2 hours giving a lecture on global warming, think what he can do with U2).

Lets talk about the documentary. How are they going to speak for 90 mins about an album? I say 40 mins is the top anyone can watch a movie/doc about a record.

Nope. If done right, then 90 minutes is still not enough. Have a look at the documentaries about the making of the Bruce Springsteen albums Born To Run and Darkness On The Edge Of Town. Those documentaries are very interesting, covering everything from the inspiration for the songs, through recording them up to releasing them as an album and their reception. And it's very entertaining too.
:)

Nope. If done right, then 90 minutes is still not enough. Have a look at the documentaries about the making of the Bruce Springsteen albums Born To Run and Darkness On The Edge Of Town. Those documentaries are very interesting, covering everything from the inspiration for the songs, through recording them up to releasing them as an album and their reception. And it's very entertaining too.
:)

Yeah, they coulda done a freakin HBO mini-series on those years, honestly! :wink:

I hope From the Sky Down is an arty documentary like Here is What is or Patti Smith's Dream of Life. I can't stand something that is straightforward and technical. Stimulate our imagination Davis. It Might get Loud was good but had some oversights.

Making movies and docs is really in fashion in the music industry these days. Pearl Jam, Bieber and not but not least Anvil are giving us behind the scenes looks at their lives. In hindsight, U2 were waaay above the curve when they made that docu-drama in the late 80's.

Which I didn't put much stock in, mind you, given their somewhat wacky results testing lossy and lossless copies of JT and UF vs their respective remasters.

Gabe educate us on Lossless formats. Seriously. I have converted flac before but thats it. I know their is great loss in fidelity.

Maybe, U2 is going to use this thread as content. They could recreate dramatic poetry readings of dipshit Internet fans dissecting their Uber contents.

The conclusion of the movie is the U2 fan is left somehow disappointed.

Yeah, they coulda done a freakin HBO mini-series on those years, honestly! :wink:

No kidding. Larry Mullen drinking bulls blood. Adam Clayton falling apart, the band nearly splitting up, Edge & the Belly Dancer, Adam & Naomi, contemplating an Adamless U2, the Sydney disaster, friction between McGuinnes and the band, and the band amongst themselves on how to split the $$$$, Bono obsessing about his weight, McGuinness coming up with the idea for Zooropa, meeting Bill Clinton, calling George HW Bush, the Greenpeace stunt, Sarajevo, etc. etc. etc. Brilliant.

Closest U2 ever came to acting like the rock stars they are.

Bieber making a documentary one album in ranks about a gagillion times more cringeworthy

I actually saw the Bieber movie. I went on my own accord. I was curious.
I went for anthropological reasons, I wanted to study the phenomenon from a distance.

What was really funny was watching his mother. She is a real piece of work. Talking about her husband was abusive, going on Christian talk shows. When I saw her in a prayer circle I nearly puked.

There was another moment in the movie that was 'off the charts cringe-worthy.' It was when his manger says, "if it wasn't for the kids(fans)' 'we couldn't do what we do.' Great buddy, great to know you make money off of marketing to children.

Gabe educate us on Lossless formats. Seriously. I have converted flac before but thats it. I know their is great loss in fidelity.

Typically conversion from lossless to lossy formats (ie flac to mp3) can cause a (perceived?) loss in dynamic range, also. Which theory explains why I think their results chart (and/or whatever meter they are running the stuff thru?) is a bit screwy, at least for their JT and AB results.

But, this doc is about the album and the recording of it. Not the Zoo tour.

It's probably about the era also. In the initial wording of the press around it it seemed they were going to touch on "the years since the recording" a bit, also. I had quoted it in that thread, at the time.

And it's also about them refining versions of the song for live aka 360 tour and Glastonbury purposes. This most recent quote explicitly states that.

I think the lines will bleed a bit.

Just to inject some 'remaster' crap back into this thread...

both the Amazon and Best Buy descriptions no longer list "Remaster"...:shrug:

Amazon.com: Achtung Baby (2 CD Deluxe Edition): U2: Music

achtung baby - BestBuy

Don't know if this is old news or not...just passing it on...

Wow. I've actually been checking Amazon regularly for that very thing. So Amazon actively removed "Original Recording Remastered" from their listings.

Yep. Pretty much game over on this remaster issue at this point.

Sorta seems that way...still interested to see if the dynamics have changed in any way...:hmm:

The dynamics of the album or the dynamics of this thread? :)

I'm sure there will still be those in denial who guaranteed this would be remastered and won't be satisfied it's not until Brian Eno or Daniel Lanois tell them so personally.

The dynamics of the album or the dynamics of this thread? :)

I'm sure there will still be those in denial who guaranteed this would be remastered and won't be satisfied it's not until Brian Eno or Daniel Lanois tell them so personally.

i am still waiting to hear back from Brian

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom