Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 themselves loved her vocals

Who knows if they actually did. Bono can be such an insufferable sycophant with other celebrities sometimes, it's hard to trust him.

OH, GWEN STEFANI YOU'RE LIKE AN IMMORTAL FIRE BREATHING HOLLYWOOD GODDESS FROM A TIMELESS AND GLITTERING ALIEN GALAXY!

Barf.

millions who heard it on the radio loved it

Ahhhh, so because millions of people on the radio loved it, it must be good!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

It was great, it truly was.

And that's cool. You have every right to think that. I can understand and accept your opinion. But to say that you don't understand other people's opinion on this completely unobjective thing, and that their dislike of the song is irrational? I don't know about that.

Who knows if they actually did.

We do. There's zero evidence that any member of the band ever disapproved of it, and every evidence that they actually did collectively approve of it. U2 lets Bono get away with celebrity indulgences on one off occasions, and on his own time. They didn't jump on his Wyclef Jean bandwagon, for example. This was never a case of that. This was a fully approved and participated in by the band duet of one of their biggest songs of all time, which they repeated several times on TV, many times on the Vertigo tour, and they let her put it on her album. Bono does not run U2, and any inference that they only "put up" with this duet on his account is not supported by any known facts or logic when considered against knowledge of how the band makes decisions about their music. Period.

Ahhhh, so because millions of people on the radio loved it, it must be good!

No, but the praise for it ran across pretty much every genre and culture. It's pretty tough to get a song to do that. It also turned on a whole other set of people to the song. That's hard to argue with.

But to say that you don't understand other people's opinion on this completely unobjective thing, and that their dislike of the song is irrational? I don't know about that.

Maybe you weren't around for the initial wringing of hands that went on for it (and I'm not talking about GG). People going nuts over it to the point where it really looked like the hatred went far beyond what she sang, and more into who she was, her genre, that type of person, etc. It was sad imo. That was the vibe I got from it. And for a unifying song like One. Kinda crazy.

Maybe you weren't around for the initial wringing of hands that went on for it (and I'm not talking about GG). People going nuts over it to the point where it really looked like the hatred went far beyond what she sang, and more into who she was, her genre, that type of person, etc. It was sad imo. That was the vibe I got from it. And for a unifying song like One. Kinda crazy.

i just wasn't into the vocal gymnastics and general over-singing of the song. mary j blige is better than that.

if we wanted alicia keys to sing one, u2 probably could have got alicia keys.

coolian2 said:
i just wasn't into the vocal gymnastics and general over-singing of the song. mary j blige is better than that.

Granted...but then one could easily make a statement that Cash undersang it.

Not sure if youve ever seen MJB perform her own stuff, but laid back she is not. Her One performance was her style thru and thru. I think she got a little excited during the Grammy performance, tho. She was likely nervous as anything..

At any rate I find Alicia the more reserved of the two :shrug:

They should just put One to bed. I don't want to hear it again. Not on tour. I hope FM radio idiots don't play it all during the Achtung love-in coming this fall. Focus on some other great track from that era.

As for Mary, she gave it her everything for that version. Thats what makes it so great.

From U2.com:

On Friday Edge and Bono join director Davis Guggenheim to discuss his documentary From The Sky Down, which opens The Toronto International Film Festival this week.

Got a question for Edge, Bono or Davis about the making of Achtung Baby? Post it on Twitter using #THESKYDOWN.

Questions need to be submitted before 12noon Friday (EST) and we can't guarantee how many we'll get through.

You'll be able to tune in for the live chat here on U2.com from about 1.30pm (EST), finishing 2:15 approx.

Maybe we can get an answer about the remastering then? Everyone should tweet a question about it.

u2 questions

From U2.com:

On Friday Edge and Bono join director Davis Guggenheim to discuss his documentary From The Sky Down, which opens The Toronto International Film Festival this week.

Got a question for Edge, Bono or Davis about the making of Achtung Baby? Post it on Twitter using #THESKYDOWN.

Questions need to be submitted before 12noon Friday (EST) and we can't guarantee how many we'll get through.

You'll be able to tune in for the live chat here on U2.com from about 1.30pm (EST), finishing 2:15 approx.

Maybe we can get an answer about the remastering then? Everyone should tweet a question about it.

Dear U2,

I lost my phone in Moncton, have you seen it?

Canedge

From U2.com:

Dear U2,

Do you know a common thing to promote a movie (even if is a documentary) is making a trailer about it? So, where the F*** is the trailer???? :angry:

*establishing shot of stark Berlin landscape in black and white*

IN A WORLD ......... where the Iron Curtain was no more.

*footage of Wall coming down*

.... where they'd become famous

*slow-mo shot of cheering stadium crowds*

.... and faced their harshest criticism

*flash on Rattle & Hum reviews*

Could four men chop down ..... their own tree?

IN A WORLD .........

...Where the Berlin Wall is coming down while other walls are being put up in a studio.

IN A WORLD ......... where the Iron Curtain was no more.

*footage of Wall coming down*

.... where they'd become famous

*slow-mo shot of cheering stadium crowds*

.... and faced their harshest criticism

*flash on Rattle & Hum reviews*

Could four men chop down ..... their own tree?

Yours is much better than mine. I can hear Movie Trailer Guy speaking and have a great visual of Bono chopping down a Joshua Tree. (although that might get him in trouble with the authorities)

I love how people call it "her atrocity" - she had little, if any, input into how the song went down, other than her own vocals, which the band clearly approved of.

It's still very much U2..with MJB providing some guest vocals. Bono still sings, Larry still plays the drums, Adam's bassline is the same, The Edge is still his glorious self.

Actually, no. But the violently negative reaction from a very small subset of hardcore U2 fans doesn't seem rational stacked up against the fact that U2 themselves loved her vocals, millions who heard it on the radio loved it, and their rendition together literally brought the house down every time they did it on the Vertigo tour. It was great, it truly was.

Geez. I just don't like cover. But it's not like I want to burn the record or something. Damn. As I said upthread, I don't like covers of U2 songs in general (though I realize strictly speaking this isn't a "cover" since the band is performing it). It's just not my thing. Do I "have" to like the song because Bono did, or because U2 approves of it? Is there some kind of bylaw in the U2 fan club requiring me to love this particular cover because millions on the radio loved it and it "literally" brought the house down @ Vertigo? I don't think I've ever even mentioned that song on here before! I just thought her performance was bit overwrought and I didn't like the way it came together.

To quote Rob Gordon, "How can an opinion be wrong?"

There are U2 songs I don't like that don't even have Mary J. Blige on them...it happens sometimes you know. :)

Isn't the "Baby" version just all the demos of the final songs of Achtung Baby?

Thats what we were guessing. But with this new covers CD that wasnt listed previously on the first tracklisting that was put out it makes me personally wonder. If that happens, I would give this release a C without any remastering. With remastering a B.

Thats what we were guessing. But with this new covers CD that wasnt listed previously on the first tracklisting that was put out it makes me personally wonder. If that happens, I would give this release a C without any remastering. With remastering a B.
OK. I wish they would just come out and say what we're getting, like this cover CD and whether or not the album is remastered.

It seems very very very unlikely that the covers will even be a part of the package...

If the "BABY" version of AB is actually an album of covers I'm out.

Someone mentioned earlier that the covers disc could be used for promo material. Like one of those Q magazine promotions.

That's even worst if you think, they have forgotten the whole promo of the AB reissue.

I believe if you have a music film opening a festival for the first time in 30 years you must promote it a little more.

The Film Festival is the promotion though. What would be the best promotion would be to announce at the Film Festival that there will be "one night only" or very limited screenings of the documentary at theaters around the world.

The Foo Fighters did this with Back and Forth and Pearl Jam are doing this with their documentary.

I just thought of another thing today.

That covers disc is said to be released in november, as is the remaster(pardon, reISSUE). We have one disc yet unspoken of in the boxsets. The fourth DVD disc. :uhoh: You don't think they'd do cover videos right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom